I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

oncologist or urologist

User
Posted 09 Mar 2017 at 07:55

so my question is when do you need a oncologist or urologist, just had a apt with oncologist bear in mind I don't make these, asked basically why am I seeing him when my psa is really low, why have I not been to see urologist

my visit was about lots of bone pain, groin and testicular pain, one of first questions he asked was have I had any recent scans, as the answer was no his comment was about budgets and that he would get me a scan

so how am I supposed to know who to ask for or should my gp be referring me and if so do they have to pick up the tab

regards

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 09 Mar 2017 at 09:31

Personally Nidge it would be the oncologist for the cancer. If you have renal problems, issues with peeing etc then it would be the urologist

Bri

User
Posted 09 Mar 2017 at 11:17

Hi Nidge,

My local hospital has a small team of nurses who go under the banner of the 'Uro-Oncology Service', they are marvelous always ready to answer any questions.

I have had no problem being referred between Urologists who seem to know a lot about cancer and my Oncologists who seems to know enough about urology.  I am content for them to decide who sees me, after all they know a lot more than me about all matters medical.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 09 Mar 2017 at 19:38

I believe you attend the same clinics as I do. I moved from uro to onco rather late but it is the right place to be if you have an incurable diagnosis which you have. However I have urological issues around self catherisation and uti's and see a urologist on a six monthly basis. His concerns are limited to those uri issues and he does not interfere on the treatment path.

On getting scans etc my experience has been that where there is unexplained pain or problems they will investigate and order scans but do not do so on a routine basis which is about costs I guess.

I find the department generally very helpful and the nurse practitioners will pick up issues for you if you have an unanswered queries. They are very good.

Edited by member 10 Mar 2017 at 15:51  | Reason: Not specified