I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Almost at the end of diagnosis pathway

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 16:55
My history is repeated visits to doc with fatigue and bone ache in pelvis and upper thighs. Then had two quite bad urine infections, with blood clots in urine. Seen different GP who did a dre and a PSA test. Prostrate slightly enlarged and PSA score of 13.5. Ultrasound showed enlarged prostrate. Repeat PSA test showed a score of 12.7.

MRI showed a lesion on RHS. I've also had the biopsies and now awaiting results.

Anyone know how likely a lesion on MRI is due to infection?

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 17:33

Hub is in the same circumstances, MRI showing a lesion and awaiting results. I wish we had some reply.
Let's bump it up.
Good luck,
Lola

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 20:13

Hi Deek, a normal MRI can't tell the difference between cancer, infection and blood/bruising from the biopsy (if you had the biopsy first). If you had one of the new super-duper MRI scans, that can predict on a score of 1 - 5 how likely the lesion is to be cancerous but the doctor would have already discussed that with you so I am guessing you had a normal scan.

Scans give important information but are not reliable. Biopsies give important information but are also unreliable. The PSA only indicates that there is a problem that needs checking out; it can't be used to predict the likelihood of cancer. It is only when the urologist has all 3 pieces of information that he can diagnose reliably.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 21:32
Deek the oncologist and urologist told us that the only time they can diagnose Pca without all of the tests is if a PSA test shows a very very high result.

So in my husbands case the PSA was in the thousands and they gave a definite diagnosis of advanced Prostate Cancer before biopsy, Mri and bone scan.

Waiting for results is really hard but it's the only way you are going to get a proper diagnosis that isn't based on guess work.

Good luck and I hope you get positive news.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2017 at 23:55

Hi Deek,

Really pleased with your good news.

Look after yourself, tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life !

Steve

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 00:49

Brilliant news - have a fantastic weekend.

Make sure you have a reminder in your diary to get an annual PSA from now on though.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 17:33

Hub is in the same circumstances, MRI showing a lesion and awaiting results. I wish we had some reply.
Let's bump it up.
Good luck,
Lola

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 20:13

Hi Deek, a normal MRI can't tell the difference between cancer, infection and blood/bruising from the biopsy (if you had the biopsy first). If you had one of the new super-duper MRI scans, that can predict on a score of 1 - 5 how likely the lesion is to be cancerous but the doctor would have already discussed that with you so I am guessing you had a normal scan.

Scans give important information but are not reliable. Biopsies give important information but are also unreliable. The PSA only indicates that there is a problem that needs checking out; it can't be used to predict the likelihood of cancer. It is only when the urologist has all 3 pieces of information that he can diagnose reliably.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 20:58
Thanks for reply. I had the MRI before biopsy so hopefully this allowed biopsy of lesion to be taken.

I need to try and keep a more open mind regarding infection instead of being all doom and gloom about cancer.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 21:32
Deek the oncologist and urologist told us that the only time they can diagnose Pca without all of the tests is if a PSA test shows a very very high result.

So in my husbands case the PSA was in the thousands and they gave a definite diagnosis of advanced Prostate Cancer before biopsy, Mri and bone scan.

Waiting for results is really hard but it's the only way you are going to get a proper diagnosis that isn't based on guess work.

Good luck and I hope you get positive news.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 23:12

Muy husband's PSA is 4.2. his PI RADS Is 5 so he is highly likely to have PC. The urologist said that in case it's finally PC it wouldn't be too scary because only a minimum extraprostatic lesion is probably to exist. No nodes or seminal channels seem to be affected. Tomorrow the result of the biopsy will come out. Is there something positive I can read from you? I am feeling really concerned and worried. Afraid of opening the envelop and read the paper inside tomorrow.

Sorry for my English right now, I assume it's not being good enough.

The best to all of you,
Lola

User
Posted 14 Mar 2017 at 16:29
Hope you get news that isn't upsetting. Been thinking of you.
User
Posted 15 Mar 2017 at 00:19

Best not to speculate on what finding will be but patiently await complete diagnosis if possible. Then carefully note what consultant says about treatment as appropriate and make an informed choice..

Barry
User
Posted 16 Mar 2017 at 22:08
Thanks for help here-had great news today; phoned the PCa nurse and my results were through-chronic prostisis -no evidence of cancer.
User
Posted 16 Mar 2017 at 22:09
Thanks for help here-had great news today; phoned the PCa nurse and my results were through-chronic prostisis -no evidence of cancer.
User
Posted 16 Mar 2017 at 22:37

That's great news - what a relief!

Chris

User
Posted 16 Mar 2017 at 23:55

Hi Deek,

Really pleased with your good news.

Look after yourself, tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life !

Steve

User
Posted 17 Mar 2017 at 00:49

Brilliant news - have a fantastic weekend.

Make sure you have a reminder in your diary to get an annual PSA from now on though.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2017 at 16:56
Case being reviewed at some kind of multidisciplinary meeting. Even though biopsies clear of cancer-MRI reported as tumour. So I suppose second opinion being sought.

Told will end up either having a targeted biopsy or be just treated with antibiotics.

So not fully out of woods yet.

User
Posted 31 Mar 2017 at 01:57

I know there is a growing reluctance to prescribe antibiotics but it seems to me that as there is some doubt in this case, perhaps a course followed by a further PSA test to see what difference this might make, would be worthwhile before doing the much more involved template biopsy.

Barry
User
Posted 31 Mar 2017 at 06:59

Hi, Deekl.
Not always tumors are found from the first biobsy. My hub had had two "clear" biopsies and the tumor was finally found on the 3th one within the last days.

It isn't my intention to make you feel upset but watch it.

And in case there was a tumor, don't panic. When I first wrote in this forum I was in panic. Now, even though I know there's a PCa I feel better because I know there are many solutions.
Best wishes

Lola