I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Botox treatment

User
Posted 08 Apr 2017 at 21:27
Does anyone have any views or experience of having Botox treatment for overactive bladder which is linked to my prostate cancer? My urologist is keen for me to have this, but I note that it's only temporary and I may need to use a catheter if it's "too successful". Just not sure about this at all, so any info would be helpful.
User
Posted 09 Apr 2017 at 08:17

Hello Stoneyguy and welcome.

Can't really help with your query but hope somebody else will be along.

I take it when you say a catheter if it's "too successful" you mean a catheter on a temporary basis because I thought Botox was only a temporary solution (in the cosmetic industry at any rate) and wears off after a time and needs to be repeated?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Apr 2017 at 08:50
Stoneguy

I have not seen any guys on here who have had much success with botox injections. You have not given us much info about your history or how long you have had the problem. Have you explored other avenues, like bladder training, external Catheters etc that can sometimes help. We have a couple of guys with experience of slings and artificial sphincters but they are a big step on from botox.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 15:38

Hi Joshan

Thanks for your reply. I'm assuming the use of the catheter would also be temporary, but nobody has told me otherwise. My urologist did say the botox only had a temporary effect, and I'd need to keep getting it done.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2017 at 15:42

Hi Colwickchris

Thanks also for your reply.

I've had prostate cancer for about 2-3 years now, getting Prostrap injections for this every 3 months. My overactive bladder issues may well have started around the same time or shortly after (can't really recall now) and I've been given Tamsulosin and Mirabegron for this, but it's not made much difference. I have read on other sites that taking Mirabegron before bedtime does have some effect, so may try that. Currently I take it about tea time.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2024 at 23:45

I had botox injection in August last year for my neurogenic bladder condition.

I was told that I will be having it every 6 to 8 months to help with the bladder problems. 

I can attest that it works but I'm also permanently on Intermittent-catheters not because of the injection but cos of my preexisting permanent urine retention due to nerve damage stemming from a spine injury. 

I will surely continue with it but I have a concern about the injection kind of affecting my erection.

I'm not sure yet but I have neurogenic ED but it has improved with the use of herbal pills but after the botox injection it seems the pills no longer work as they use to and I'm thinking the botox injection could be the reason.

But not sure.

Hope this helps 

Edited by member 16 Jan 2024 at 23:45  | Reason: Not specified