I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Time scales

User
Posted 09 Apr 2017 at 07:24

Good morning, being here is through a door I had hoped I would not have had to open but here I am.

I am 54 years old and earlier in the year a routine blood test showed an elevated PSA of 8.1, the test was redone and 3 weeks later it was 7.4 and I was referred to a urologist. Before the consult I was asked to go in for an MRI, two weeks after that I got m appointment at which time I was informed that the scans showed a small contained "area of concern". A PI-RADS3 lesion in the anterior of the transitional zone. The urologist said that they wanted to perform a transperineal biopsy under general anaesthetic. That was on the 22nd of March, it has been a very worrying couple of weeks waiting for the appointment, yesterday it arrived but it is not until the 8th of May, that seems a long time to have to wait or is that normal?

Thanks for taking the time to read

Frank

Edited by member 09 Apr 2017 at 16:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Apr 2017 at 11:33

I had two biopsy rectal and transperineal and I got the results inside 2 weeks on both occasions. I was also of the view that the NHS had targets to hit on these kind of things? I'd start with a telephone call to the 0800 074 8383 helpline for this charity and ask them.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2017 at 10:04

It seems to be long time. What about a phone call? Or perhaps you have already done so.

Anyway try to keep calm. PI RADS 3 is not too bad. My hub was 5. He has PCa but the surgeon told us not to worry too much and OH is going Da Vinci shortly. He hopes it works. And in case it didn't, there are more options.
This place has helped me be positive.

Best wishes

User
Posted 10 Apr 2017 at 11:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

It is not the results time frame that concerns me, it is the wait for the biopsy. The MRI was on the 10th of March, today is the 10th of April and I still have another 4 weeks to wait and then, of course, another 2 for the results.

they do tend to take time

i had psa 5.2 in july 2016

in feb 2017 risen to 8.0

waited 5 weeks for biopsies

now two weeks later i have received an appoint for my results of 22 may  (so from psa of 8.0 to results appointment it is 11 weeks)

I think the results are looking like a benign enlarged prostate, but it would be nice to know ( he did say when he carried out the biopsies that it looked like that and he would be surprised if cancerous, and also if results  was cancerous the follow up would be with the pathway team for treatment, otherwise with him,)

I am off down to receptionist later today to see if i can get confirmation of the results

So long waiting appointments tend to indicate non urgent, and so in theory we should not be worrying, but you try telling my head that

User
Posted 10 Apr 2017 at 13:20

My husband got the results of his first biopsy and MRI on 13/12/16 and was advised he was going to be referred urgently for a template biopsy.
He didn't get that until 14/03/17, and that was only because we chased it up several times as did our GP. Results are usually available in 2 weeks

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Apr 2017 at 11:33

I had two biopsy rectal and transperineal and I got the results inside 2 weeks on both occasions. I was also of the view that the NHS had targets to hit on these kind of things? I'd start with a telephone call to the 0800 074 8383 helpline for this charity and ask them.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2017 at 09:27

It is not the results time frame that concerns me, it is the wait for the biopsy. The MRI was on the 10th of March, today is the 10th of April and I still have another 4 weeks to wait and then, of course, another 2 for the results.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2017 at 10:04

It seems to be long time. What about a phone call? Or perhaps you have already done so.

Anyway try to keep calm. PI RADS 3 is not too bad. My hub was 5. He has PCa but the surgeon told us not to worry too much and OH is going Da Vinci shortly. He hopes it works. And in case it didn't, there are more options.
This place has helped me be positive.

Best wishes

User
Posted 10 Apr 2017 at 11:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

they do tend to take time

i had psa 5.2 in july 2016

in feb 2017 risen to 8.0

waited 5 weeks for biopsies

now two weeks later i have received an appoint for my results of 22 may  (so from psa of 8.0 to results appointment it is 11 weeks)

I think the results are looking like a benign enlarged prostate, but it would be nice to know ( he did say when he carried out the biopsies that it looked like that and he would be surprised if cancerous, and also if results  was cancerous the follow up would be with the pathway team for treatment, otherwise with him,)

I am off down to receptionist later today to see if i can get confirmation of the results

So long waiting appointments tend to indicate non urgent, and so in theory we should not be worrying, but you try telling my head that

User
Posted 10 Apr 2017 at 13:20

My husband got the results of his first biopsy and MRI on 13/12/16 and was advised he was going to be referred urgently for a template biopsy.
He didn't get that until 14/03/17, and that was only because we chased it up several times as did our GP. Results are usually available in 2 weeks