Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

advice for Dad

User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 21:47

Hi all

New here today . My Dad has just been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer , so experiencing all the anxious feelings I'm sure you're all familiar with but trying to remain positive 

Gleason Score 8 (4+4) PSA 18 

age 65

He has scans next Thursday to find out more and if has spread to bones or other areas. 

From what I've read so far on various websites, I'm finding it difficult to assess whether its likely to have spread with these results. 

Would welcome any advice , especially from anyone with similar results at diagnosis stage.

Thanks so much 

Sam

User
Posted 14 Apr 2017 at 05:54

Wellcome to the site, Sam.

This is the right site to get information and support, I'm not very experienced yet as my OH has just started his journey. All I can tell you by now is that my husband is 4+3=7 Gleason. He has clear TC and bone scan. You must wait for dad's results. Try to keep calm.

From what I have learned from (off?) here and doctors is that even in case the PCa had spead there are many options to deal with it. Don't panic.

Hope someone will soon give you more information and advice,

If you have a look at members' profile you will see many people with meth that are doing well despite it.

My best wishes. Fingers crossed!

Lola,

User
Posted 14 Apr 2017 at 08:14

Hello Sam.

If you go to Publications on this site you can download The Toolkit, a useful set of leaflets on Prostate Cancer, the various treatments, side effects etc.

IT's difficult to offer much advice yet as he won't know which treatment path will be offered to him. Once he has the MRI scan results it will make life a bit more certain. Even if the news isn't great, then at least plans can be put into place. IT's the not knowing that is the horrible part.

When he goes for the results it would be best if he had somebody with him as support and also to help listen to the information being given as there will be a lot to take in. Also a notepad and pen is good advice so he (you?) can make a few notes

Make sure you get a contact number for any further info you want from the consultant.

Come back to us with the results and I'm sure somebody will have knowledge of whatever the chosen treatment is.

Don't despair. There is a lot that can be done to treat PC. We have a nuber of men on here who are classed as incurable but they still lead full and active lives.

Irun, (click on his picture to get his profile) for instance is currently running the Sahara marathon.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Apr 2017 at 09:35
Hi Sam

Just to say that Sandra's advice is spot on. There is honestly no point in trying to second guess the results. Download and read the Toolkit so that you are prepared for the discussions that will follow on from the results. It's a more rewarding way to spend your time and will be of more benefit to you and your Dad.

Kind regards

Kevan

User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 13:00
Hi Sam, I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I understand what you are going through right now. My Dad got his diagnosis early February and it was a terrible shock. He is a Gleason 9, PSA 18. Waiting for the bone scan felt like an eternity. Thankfully it came back clear but he does have localised advanced PC (it's come out of the prostate into the seminal vesicles) which is being treated with a hormone implant and Radiotherapy (radio to start around June). When I knew nothing I was panicking and very very upset. Now I have more information I feel much more in control and feel able to better support Dad. I have rung the nurses on this site a number of times and they have been really kind and helpful. Please do let us know when you know more and best wishes to you and your Dad.