Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How do i feel.

User
Posted 19 Apr 2017 at 20:53
Hi all,

Was diagnosed a month ago (locally advanced,Gleason 3+4)and am now on hormone therapy with review in four months.

Have got my head around it but am not sure what I should feel physically.Do people have nausea,pain etc.Sounds silly I know,but people say "how are you",I say ok thanks but am not quite sure.

User
Posted 19 Apr 2017 at 20:53
Hi all,

Was diagnosed a month ago (locally advanced,Gleason 3+4)and am now on hormone therapy with review in four months.

Have got my head around it but am not sure what I should feel physically.Do people have nausea,pain etc.Sounds silly I know,but people say "how are you",I say ok thanks but am not quite sure.

User
Posted 20 Apr 2017 at 17:35
Knaphill

Welcome to the site,you will find plenty on support here. One problem with prostate cancer is that for many there are no physical aches,pains or even symptoms.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Apr 2017 at 23:57

Hi Knaphill

One thing I have discovered since my OH's diagnosis last July, and since finding this brilliant site and reading about peoples' varied journeys is that there isn't a 'normal' and everyone is different. Some people waltz through HT with virtually no side effects (my OH) and others suffer from hot flushes and fatigue and weight gain. Some blokes feel ok physically but have a really tough time psychologically / emotionally, and that of course has an impact on their overall health.

It sounds as if you are feeling ok physically, but maybe things are more difficult emotionally? After all you have only had a month to start coming to terms with this life-changing treatment and presumably not much longer to come to terms with the diagnosis. Brilliant that you are doing so well but it would be odd if you weren't at least a bit knocked sideways by it all.

Either way, well done on handling things so well - 'ok', 'sort-of ok' or 'ok-ish' are pretty impressive at this stage I reckon.

Cheers

Eleanor

User
Posted 21 Apr 2017 at 10:57
Hi Knaphill

I have found that you simply feel how you feel and I don't analyse it too much. Having had the op and then salvage RT I just dealt with any side effects of the treatments as they cropped up and once they were out of the way carried on as normal. Like you I have just started HT and so far it hasn't made any difference to how I feel. Iadopt the attitude that if I am feeling good then I am deeply grateful and if things change at a later stage then I'll deal with that when it happens.

Hope all goes well.

Kind regards

Kevan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Apr 2017 at 17:35
Knaphill

Welcome to the site,you will find plenty on support here. One problem with prostate cancer is that for many there are no physical aches,pains or even symptoms.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Apr 2017 at 23:57

Hi Knaphill

One thing I have discovered since my OH's diagnosis last July, and since finding this brilliant site and reading about peoples' varied journeys is that there isn't a 'normal' and everyone is different. Some people waltz through HT with virtually no side effects (my OH) and others suffer from hot flushes and fatigue and weight gain. Some blokes feel ok physically but have a really tough time psychologically / emotionally, and that of course has an impact on their overall health.

It sounds as if you are feeling ok physically, but maybe things are more difficult emotionally? After all you have only had a month to start coming to terms with this life-changing treatment and presumably not much longer to come to terms with the diagnosis. Brilliant that you are doing so well but it would be odd if you weren't at least a bit knocked sideways by it all.

Either way, well done on handling things so well - 'ok', 'sort-of ok' or 'ok-ish' are pretty impressive at this stage I reckon.

Cheers

Eleanor

User
Posted 21 Apr 2017 at 10:57
Hi Knaphill

I have found that you simply feel how you feel and I don't analyse it too much. Having had the op and then salvage RT I just dealt with any side effects of the treatments as they cropped up and once they were out of the way carried on as normal. Like you I have just started HT and so far it hasn't made any difference to how I feel. Iadopt the attitude that if I am feeling good then I am deeply grateful and if things change at a later stage then I'll deal with that when it happens.

Hope all goes well.

Kind regards

Kevan