Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Parabens and SLS

User
Posted 10 May 2017 at 07:03

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of an article that I can send my mum (my dad has just been diagnosed with PC) on why it's advisable to avoid products with fake hormones in. My uncle in law had PC and in the support group was given the information. It would be easier to ask - but my dad doesn't want people knowing about his condition.

Thanks in advance for your help.

User
Posted 10 May 2017 at 09:17

Hello Charlie and welcome to the site.

I'm sure somebody in the know will be able to help you but on a personal (female) health level I try to avoid parabens and SLS ( sodium lauryl sulphate) but it's getting harder and harder to find products that don't contain them.

You could try starting with the obvious things like deodorants (Bionsen and now Sanex zero which has just been re-introduced after they ceased to make it)

Toothpastes contain SLS and you are unlikely to find a SLS free toothpaste in shops like Tesco but Holland and Barret or online can get you some.

SLS is a foaming agent apparently the sort of thing that is used to degrease car engines and it's used to remove the grease from your skin.
It's in soaps, shampoos and detergents so we are surrounded by it.

Apart from the two you ask about there are also Phthalates which are used in plastic bottles so not only do you have SLS in your shampoo it's made worse by the Phthalates in the bottle containing it !

Where we can, we buy things in glass ie honey, mayonaise etc.  If I buy the grand children's juice and it comes in a plastic bottle I will decant it into a glass one. Probably too late to be of benefit but makes me feel I'm doing something.

I hope somebody has a list because I would be interested too

Edited by member 10 May 2017 at 09:19  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 May 2017 at 21:05

Does anyone else have info on this please as apart from helping Charlie I would be interested too

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 11 May 2017 at 02:15

There is loads of research on parabens and brain tumours, and parabens / SLS and other cancers but I am not aware of anything specific relating to prostate cancer.

I wonder if the uncle misunderstood or the story got told wrong around the family? There is significant evidence now that growth hormones (whether fake or naturally produced) in muscle meats and dairy are harmful to the prostate - generally, the research indicates that if young men didn't eat red meat, cheese etc they wouldn't get prostate cancer when they are older ... there is much less reliable data to support the notion that cutting out these things once you have been diagnosed will actually make any difference. Lots of men on here have moved to the Plant diet (Jane Plant - see below) and swear by it, lots of others eat what they like and neither group seems to do particularly better or worse than the other.

Nevertheless, you could read Prof Jane Plant's research or buy her diet book, and / or buy your parents the Prostate Care Cookbook by Prostate Cancer Research UK (all 3 books are available on Amazon)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard