I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

hi new to the forum

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 16:31

Hi everybody 1st posting a.Someone at hospital told me about this great forum.A year ago was rushed into a and a from GPs surgery with a blood pressure reading of 210/111 and urine retention causing chronic on acute kidney failure an egfr of 15% was quickly catheterised.Next day informed had very enlarged prostate pressing on urethra and a Psa of 97 which could be falsely elevated.Had Turp. Op in Sept which went very well.Psa now down tp 37.Path lab report came back with PC cancer found with T1a Gleason adenocarcinoma a3+4 50% involvement.Bone scan no metastatic.MRI questionable early T3 node negative. Kidney function improved to egfr 30%.  put onto hormones and radiotherapy 20fractions last week bit tired, hot ,weepy but ok. If someone has the time could they explain the path report in lay mans terms for me please. And is there anyone who had the same problems with kidneys and did they  lmprove even more a.thank you so much for listening.

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 20:39

Hi Phil,  I'm not an expert at all but I'll try a first answer on bits I know something about, which might prompt someone else to add more.  

The adenocarcinoma is a normal prostate cancer.  The 3+4 is the Gleason grading score which means most of the cells are slow growing (3) but some are moderate growing (4).  3+4 = 7 so Gleason 7 is the second lowest grade of cancer.  50% involvement could have 2 meanings so I won't answer on that.  It looks like your bones and nodes are clear which is usually good, questionable T3 suggests a possibility of a local spread although it doesn't say where.   I know nothing about kidneys.  I hope that is some use.  Good luck with your treatment.  Peter

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 22:36
Hi Phil,

I had kidney issues due to retention, click on my avatar to see my profile showing my journey with PCa.

I hope something there will help you.

Arthur

User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 12:49
Hi Phil,

I only have my full renal profile readings from my last appointment, they are:

Sodium. 141. mmol/l. 133-146

Potassium 4.3. ". 3.5-5.3

Creatinine 104. Umol/L. 62-115. (originally 1356)

eGFR. >60. ml/min. 60-150

I must confess to not fully understanding these but they seem to be in range. I don't have any kidney issues I'm aware of, my GP prescribed me Losartan which helps the blood flow around the kidneys.

Hope this helps,

Arthur

User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 18:34
Reported to moderators
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 20:39

Hi Phil,  I'm not an expert at all but I'll try a first answer on bits I know something about, which might prompt someone else to add more.  

The adenocarcinoma is a normal prostate cancer.  The 3+4 is the Gleason grading score which means most of the cells are slow growing (3) but some are moderate growing (4).  3+4 = 7 so Gleason 7 is the second lowest grade of cancer.  50% involvement could have 2 meanings so I won't answer on that.  It looks like your bones and nodes are clear which is usually good, questionable T3 suggests a possibility of a local spread although it doesn't say where.   I know nothing about kidneys.  I hope that is some use.  Good luck with your treatment.  Peter

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 20:56

Thank you Peter for taking the trouble to answer.This is all so new to me. Keep well Phil

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 22:36
Hi Phil,

I had kidney issues due to retention, click on my avatar to see my profile showing my journey with PCa.

I hope something there will help you.

Arthur

User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 10:22

Hi Arthur Thanks for replying just read your journey.Hope you are keeping well.May I ask did your kidneys recover so that they don't cause you any problems? I realise some stuff you may not want to share but may I also ask what did your kidney function go down to and what is it now.keep well and thanks Phil

User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 10:23

Hi Arthur Thanks for replying just read your journey.Hope you are keeping well.May I ask did your kidneys recover so that they don't cause you any problems? I realise some stuff you may not want to share but may I also ask what did your kidney function go down to and what is it now.keep well and thanks Phil

User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 12:49
Hi Phil,

I must confess to not fully understanding these but they seem to be in range. I don't have any kidney issues I'm aware of, my GP prescribed me Losartan which helps the blood flow around the kidneys.

Hope this helps,

Arthur

User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 18:40

Thanks for that Arthur I have a report just like that unfortunately mine are off rhea range but Dr doesn't seem unduly worried. Just have to keep blood pressure low.no salt, watch what I eat and drink plenty of water and some exercise.Been for my radiotherapy session today and I am absolutely ready for bed. Thank again for taking the time to answer hope someone else can have a look at my PC path report . Keep well

User
Posted 18 May 2017 at 10:39

There are some amazingly well informed folk on this forum .I am finding a wealth of information from you all. Just finished 10 of 20 of radiotherapy. Stiff feel ok, bit anxious have a few panic attacks but ok all keep well regards Phil

User
Posted 04 May 2019 at 08:08

How to overcome prostatitis? I am sick with prostatitis, but the doctor assured me that nothing serious - I was lucky that I had the mild form of the disease and I started to treat just in time, so he told me that there was nothing to worry about and said to buy finasteride. Tell me - is this drug a panacea? Even when I have a cold it is prescribed no less than 3 drugs... this medication has helped someone to overcome a disease?

User
Posted 04 May 2019 at 08:42
Hi Phil,

With Kidney function you may be able to improve it a bi or even quite a lot, the main thing is to keep your blood pressure under control as this is one of the main causes of kidney failure .There is a facebook page Kidney care uk that is really good well worth a read.

regards Barbara.

User
Posted 22 May 2019 at 13:55
I have just started using it for possible replacements for antidepressants and anti cancer side effects as a long shot. You can buy in most reputable health shops afaik. I suggest research. Reddit has a cbd sub reddit.

Be warned as my sister warned me. It truly does taste like ar*e 😂😂

User
Posted 22 May 2019 at 15:48

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Phil,

Hope this helps,

Arthur

This is normal kidney function.

The two main things to check in kidney failure are the Creatinine level and the eGFR.

The kidneys filter Creatinine out of the blood, and when they aren't working correctly, the level of Creatinine in the blood raises. The top acceptable limit has been reduced and I think it's now 106mmol/L, but you are still within that. Ideally, you should avoid exercise and eating meat for at least 24h before the blood test, because these both raise the Creatinine generation above normal levels. Creatinine is the result of breaking down muscle, either because you are digesting it, or because you are breaking down your own muscles (which is normal). Doing exercise strenuous enough to build muscle (which is initially triggered by damaging the muscle which needs building up and the damaged muscle is broken down to enable new muscle to be grown) will give a high reading. Even without exercise, there's a normal turnover of muscle cells, which generates the normal levels of Creatinine found in everyone.

eGFR is the estimated Glomerular Filtration rate, which is calculated from your Creatinine level, age, sex, race. This is used to work out the level of CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease). CKD1 is > 120 and means normal kidney function. CKD2 is > 60, which is slightly reduced kidney function, but not concerning. CKD1 and CKD2 are never distinguished here as renal function tests never report better than > 60 (you will never see > 120). As you drop below 60, you fall into CKD stage 3 (which is spilt into 3a if > 45 and 3b if < 45, and often causes no symptoms), and then stage 4 if < 30 which is heading for end-stage kidney failure, and stage 5 at < 15 which is dialysis required. eGFR also maps to percentage, but I don't know the mapping off-hand, but high CKD stages are lower percentages.

KCD can get better - it depends why it got bad and for how long.

Edited by member 22 May 2019 at 15:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2020 at 18:34
Reported to moderators
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard