Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

new referral

User
Posted 28 May 2017 at 20:03

Hello this is my first post

I put off going to the GP until about eight weeks ago.  I was given a first PSA test which came back as 11.

I have been to Urology and had the DRE which showed enlarged but smooth - not excessively large.  I have had the MRI test and should have had the biopsy this week but it was postponed to an admin issue.

I have been prescribed Ciprofloxacin to take as a preventative during and after my biopsy. 

Can I ask if it is normally safe to drive home after a biopsy under local?

User
Posted 28 May 2017 at 21:32

Hi Arnold
The TRUS biopsy which is done with local anaesthetic isn't too bad. I'm not sure if you've read the details on the fact sheets ? It will be perfectly fine to drive home and only moderate pain in the anus / prostate area. May be some blood in urine and poo for a short while. Lots of blood in semen for quite a while. The antibiotics prevent any infection between bowel and prostate but beware of pain or flu-like symptoms which could indicate an infection.
Good luck

User
Posted 28 May 2017 at 21:55

Usually an initial biopsy is what is called a TRUS (Trans Rectal Ultra Sound). There are normally between 8 and 12 cores taken. I had12 with a modicum of locally applied pain relieving agent. Each core sounds like a staple gun being triggered and it is frequently described as being flicked with an elastic band. I found it undignified but not really painful which I think is the general reaction although a small number of men thought it quite painful. I found it easy to drive after the procedure and think most men would be able to do this. Antibiotics are given because the needles pass through the rectum and this adds to the possibility of an infection.

There is another type of biopsy called a Trans Peroneal Template but this is usually given under a general anaesthesia (although is sometimes done under an epidural) and it is recommended that a man does not drive for 24 hours after it. This biopsy has certain pre op procedures which would have been communicated to you in advance so it is most unlikely that this is proposed, at least initially.

Barry
User
Posted 28 May 2017 at 22:01

Hi and welcome Arnold.

Just had biopsy as might be coming out of remission. They made the process more comfortable than the two in 2004, although they were no problem. I had antibiotic Ciprofloxacin 500mg (3 days) plus Voltarol 100mg as a suppository along with Flagyl 1g. I was told and the paperwork said "You will not be able to drive home - no big deal as I don't drive now - ". In 2004 no driving restrictions? Whilst I felt fine would insurance be valid if told not to drive?

Good luck

Ray

Edited by member 28 May 2017 at 22:07  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 May 2017 at 21:32

Hi Arnold
The TRUS biopsy which is done with local anaesthetic isn't too bad. I'm not sure if you've read the details on the fact sheets ? It will be perfectly fine to drive home and only moderate pain in the anus / prostate area. May be some blood in urine and poo for a short while. Lots of blood in semen for quite a while. The antibiotics prevent any infection between bowel and prostate but beware of pain or flu-like symptoms which could indicate an infection.
Good luck

User
Posted 28 May 2017 at 21:55

Usually an initial biopsy is what is called a TRUS (Trans Rectal Ultra Sound). There are normally between 8 and 12 cores taken. I had12 with a modicum of locally applied pain relieving agent. Each core sounds like a staple gun being triggered and it is frequently described as being flicked with an elastic band. I found it undignified but not really painful which I think is the general reaction although a small number of men thought it quite painful. I found it easy to drive after the procedure and think most men would be able to do this. Antibiotics are given because the needles pass through the rectum and this adds to the possibility of an infection.

There is another type of biopsy called a Trans Peroneal Template but this is usually given under a general anaesthesia (although is sometimes done under an epidural) and it is recommended that a man does not drive for 24 hours after it. This biopsy has certain pre op procedures which would have been communicated to you in advance so it is most unlikely that this is proposed, at least initially.

Barry
User
Posted 28 May 2017 at 22:01

Hi and welcome Arnold.

Just had biopsy as might be coming out of remission. They made the process more comfortable than the two in 2004, although they were no problem. I had antibiotic Ciprofloxacin 500mg (3 days) plus Voltarol 100mg as a suppository along with Flagyl 1g. I was told and the paperwork said "You will not be able to drive home - no big deal as I don't drive now - ". In 2004 no driving restrictions? Whilst I felt fine would insurance be valid if told not to drive?

Good luck

Ray

Edited by member 28 May 2017 at 22:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 May 2017 at 09:46

Thanks everyone.  I see that it is advised that you do not drive with Flagyl which I have not been given yet.

All very helpful.

User
Posted 29 May 2017 at 10:06

Flagyl was given as a suppository at biopsy time.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2017 at 09:26

Just an update
I had the biopsies done yesterday; it went well enough.

I was told on the information sheet that I would be given pills to take 24 and 48 hours after but I was given Gentomycin by injection just before the procedure instead; they told me the information sheet was out of date.

Very light-headed for about half an hour afterwards but it mostly cleared after a cup of tea and biscuit. They don't subscribe to the warnings about dairy products and Ciprofloxacin so I got milk in my tea.

What was significant was that they told me that they would not do the procedure if I intended to drive home afterwards; that my insurance company would not pay out if I had an accident and they found out about the procedure.