I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Abbi failed

User
Posted 30 May 2017 at 19:56
After 4 cycles of abbi, as predicted after dad's slight PSA rise, the consultant made an appointment ahead of chemo to advise his PSA has risen from 22.3 to 49.5 within the last 4 weeks. He offered radiotherapy for painful tumour areas and aggressive chemo which my dad has refused.

My dad is in his usual denial as he has been eating lots of apricot seeds, convinced it was the seeds rather than the abbi keeping his PSA low. I felt sick all day worrying about this appointment and I just want to cry!

Bee 😰

User
Posted 30 May 2017 at 21:18

I am so sorry Bee about your dad.

I can't help with any answers but I do hope that somebody else will be along to advise you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 31 May 2017 at 02:32

I guess it is difficult for the oncologist when the patient refuses the treatment on offer. I am so sorry that you are in this situation - I hope the Macmillan nurses have accepted dad back onto their books and that you can get a good chat with one of them without dad being around.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 May 2017 at 21:18

I am so sorry Bee about your dad.

I can't help with any answers but I do hope that somebody else will be along to advise you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 May 2017 at 23:49

Did they go ahead with abbi number 5 or not? How blunt was the onco about dad's outlook? Really, I think what you need now is a skilled medical person that can explain to dad how serious his situation is and the reality of what the final stage could be like. The radiotherapy is only quick zaps (not every day for weeks on end like the curative RT some men have) and the reduction in pain is usually instant. McMillan nurses are usually very good at having those difficult conversations.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 May 2017 at 00:26
He used phrases like "your cancer is a bit naughty and not behaving how we expected". Abbi no 5 was a no go so they prescribed bicalutamide. The oncologist didn't mention any outlook, made a follow up appointment for end of August and said goodbye but not before grabbing my hand with both hands with a sympathetic look ion his face.

My head is stilll spinning and I don't know where we go from here....

User
Posted 31 May 2017 at 02:32

I guess it is difficult for the oncologist when the patient refuses the treatment on offer. I am so sorry that you are in this situation - I hope the Macmillan nurses have accepted dad back onto their books and that you can get a good chat with one of them without dad being around.