I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Traces of blood in my pee

User
Posted 22 Jun 2017 at 08:02
I had a radical prostatectomy on the 24th of May and I think I am making a good recovery so far but I seem to have pink pee first thing in the morning especially when I am passing a motion as well.

During the day the pee is normal colour and it's only first thing tat I seem to have this issue.

I am going back to see the surgeon on the 4 th of July but do you think I need to take professional advice sooner.

I don't seem to have any other side effects apart from the normal continence issues and feeling a bit sorry for myself at times.

I would appreciate anyone with similar experience commenting.

Thanks

User
Posted 22 Jun 2017 at 15:51

Hello Chris and welcome.

Can't advise since i have no experience of this so just bumping you in case your post gets lost

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Jun 2017 at 16:06

Hi Silverthorn,
yes this can happen and is nothing to worry about. It will take some months for the join in your urethra to heal completely. My husband had some bleeding quite spontaneously at about 3 months post op which freaked him out a lot. the consultant explained that the tissue in the urethra is different to the skin you see on the outside of your body and takes longer to knit together. The stitches will start to be absorbed by your body at around 3 months so this can also cause small amounts of blood as they break up.
When you are passing a motion you are also straining which causes pressure in the urethra as well and makes bleeding more likely at this time. In the mornings too your bladder will have been at capacity overnight again putting more strain at the joint where the sphincter holding your bladder has been reattached at the bladder neck.
Hope this provides some reassurance.
Julie

User
Posted 22 Jun 2017 at 17:11

Silverthorn

I had the same op as you and this doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary.

Ulsterman