I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Robotic Treatment

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 11:21
My husband has just been diagnosed and is proceeding with robotic treatment, just wondering how long is the recovery i.e. When is he likely to return to work?
User
Posted 09 Jul 2017 at 21:18

Hi, I was diagnosed with PC in March this year with a Gleason score 3+4. T2 N0 M0. I was offered choices of radiotherapy or surgery. At the age of 58 with the cancer localised internally I concluded that the option for me was to have it taken out as soon as possible so I chose surgery. 

Within five days of me letting the consultant know my choice I was called by the hospital offering me an early appointment and I had the operation in Eastbourne. (29/4/17)

I must say I couldn't have wished for more! The radical 3-D robotic prostatectomy operation was totally successful as advised by the consultant and my experience overall of the process was nothing but admiration for the way in which the NHS diagnosed, supported and treated me. The operation itself caused very little trauma with no pain and no discomfort other than the usual aches and pains to be expected after a major operation.

I am now approaching 12 weeks since the op and everything is progressing very well. The catheter was most uncomfortable giving me pains when wanting to use the toilet. It was removed after 2 weeks or so and that was like the best thing ever! I immediately had full mobility without discomfort and my incontinence is now more or less just drips and dribbles. And it's improving day by day. 

ED was there from day one but dramatically improved to around 75% better around a couple of weeks ago so more than I ever thought possible at this stage.

I don't feel as though I've had an operation now. I'm walking about 5-6 miles a day and feeling very good.

My follow up with the consultant is 19 July and will share details after that.

All in all the operation was the best decision for me and am so glad I did it and I hope this may help others in some way on this rather traumatic journey we have to take!

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 12:17

My husband had robotic surgery on the the 31st May took him a full 3 weeks to feel that he was on his way to recovery, continence was also good at the 3 week mark, going to go back next week, but not full time till the following week, everyone is different he just has to listen to his body. Wish you both well

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 19:30

I went back to work two weeks after the surgery. I carried on working through the following 33 sessions of RT too. Not clever, but being self employed meant wages have to come in. Working after surgery was hard (not manual work), but that was nothing compared to working through RT. That was/is very hard!

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 19:52
Caroline

I took six weeks. I had a few catheter challenges and then a few post-op infections. I thought I would bounce back much quicker than that. I notice the age on your profile is 46. I take it that is your husband's age? I'm 46 too. I've no regrets about the operation, but it is life changing for a man.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 09 Jul 2017 at 10:09
C

I was back at work 4 weeks post op and back to normality after six weeks, but it does depend on the individual and the type of job. I was a contracts manager so not too physical but lots of driving. As Lyn always reminds us check with your insurance company before driving again. Originally I was lucky to be 99 percent dry within a couple of weeks I think that makes a big difference. Be aware that an employer has certain obligations to cancer patients.

Remember it is not a race and doing too much to soon may compromise long term recovery.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 12:17

My husband had robotic surgery on the the 31st May took him a full 3 weeks to feel that he was on his way to recovery, continence was also good at the 3 week mark, going to go back next week, but not full time till the following week, everyone is different he just has to listen to his body. Wish you both well

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 12:18

Hi I'm 40 just been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate would love anyone's advice

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 12:27

Don't panic happyalways,I know thats easier said than done, download the toolkit from the site. Have you had a PSA test done?

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 19:30

I went back to work two weeks after the surgery. I carried on working through the following 33 sessions of RT too. Not clever, but being self employed meant wages have to come in. Working after surgery was hard (not manual work), but that was nothing compared to working through RT. That was/is very hard!

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 19:52
Caroline

I took six weeks. I had a few catheter challenges and then a few post-op infections. I thought I would bounce back much quicker than that. I notice the age on your profile is 46. I take it that is your husband's age? I'm 46 too. I've no regrets about the operation, but it is life changing for a man.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 23:24
I didn't have robotic but the bigger central incision didn't like stress, e.g. gymwork, for about 8 weeks. Continence wasn't so good for 3 months. So it depends what his job is. An office worker might risk going back in a month or even less but I'd think 6 to 8 weeks more sensible. A manual worker with lifting or bending might wait up to 3 months or even more. That's all based on my case. I leaked on bending at 5 months but at 6 months was OK.
User
Posted 09 Jul 2017 at 00:41

Hi happyalways,

You started a thread 'Don't know what's going on' and received replies based on an incomplete diagnosis as yet. It would be best if you raise any further questions and relative comments under that thread rather than post on another member's totally unrelated thread seeking experience of a specific situation..

Barry
User
Posted 09 Jul 2017 at 10:09
C

I was back at work 4 weeks post op and back to normality after six weeks, but it does depend on the individual and the type of job. I was a contracts manager so not too physical but lots of driving. As Lyn always reminds us check with your insurance company before driving again. Originally I was lucky to be 99 percent dry within a couple of weeks I think that makes a big difference. Be aware that an employer has certain obligations to cancer patients.

Remember it is not a race and doing too much to soon may compromise long term recovery.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Jul 2017 at 18:43
Hi,

It was six weeks before I made a decent recovery, i needed a cushion to sit on though, undercarriage was very tender for a while due to the operation, however further treatment later on, read my profile to get more info.

James

User
Posted 09 Jul 2017 at 21:18

Hi, I was diagnosed with PC in March this year with a Gleason score 3+4. T2 N0 M0. I was offered choices of radiotherapy or surgery. At the age of 58 with the cancer localised internally I concluded that the option for me was to have it taken out as soon as possible so I chose surgery. 

Within five days of me letting the consultant know my choice I was called by the hospital offering me an early appointment and I had the operation in Eastbourne. (29/4/17)

I must say I couldn't have wished for more! The radical 3-D robotic prostatectomy operation was totally successful as advised by the consultant and my experience overall of the process was nothing but admiration for the way in which the NHS diagnosed, supported and treated me. The operation itself caused very little trauma with no pain and no discomfort other than the usual aches and pains to be expected after a major operation.

I am now approaching 12 weeks since the op and everything is progressing very well. The catheter was most uncomfortable giving me pains when wanting to use the toilet. It was removed after 2 weeks or so and that was like the best thing ever! I immediately had full mobility without discomfort and my incontinence is now more or less just drips and dribbles. And it's improving day by day. 

ED was there from day one but dramatically improved to around 75% better around a couple of weeks ago so more than I ever thought possible at this stage.

I don't feel as though I've had an operation now. I'm walking about 5-6 miles a day and feeling very good.

My follow up with the consultant is 19 July and will share details after that.

All in all the operation was the best decision for me and am so glad I did it and I hope this may help others in some way on this rather traumatic journey we have to take!