I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Leo Robot spares some nerves

User
Posted 24 Apr 2022 at 08:45
Nice bit of spring surfing for you then!
User
Posted 29 Apr 2022 at 01:29

I managed a session in mid March, but then I contrived to tweak my back putting my jeans on at the start of April which meant I missed out on the subsequent extended period of onshore swell and offshore wind.

However I'm back cycling again now, so hopefully I'll be able test the water temperature of the North Atlantic again soon!

Jim

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
User
Posted 07 Jul 2022 at 15:35

I had another PSA test last week. A registrar I've not previously spoken to called today to inform me that the result shows a drop to 0.26 ug/L.

Since the oscillations seem to be stable rather than increasing he suggested going to a 4 month interval between tests. I didn't quibble!

Jim

User
Posted 07 Jul 2022 at 21:18

Really great news Jim. Just had a look through your profile, gives us all hope that a rising PSA doesn’t necessarily mean more treatment 👍

You’ve obviously been through a lot, hope you are also feeling well.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 17:53

Hi Elaine,

My apologies for my tardy reply.

Actually I rather feel that there are plenty of people here who have been through a lot more than me! In my conversation with my oncology nurse a few months ago I was assured that in some cases PSA readings can oscillate in the same region as mine for years on end. Long may it continue in my case!

More recently I was also called by the surgeon who performed my operation. He explained to me that whilst I may well have microscopic secondaries "the cancer factory" has been removed. I have no idea what rhyme or reason there may be to some people's PSA going ballistic in such circumstances, and others doing what mine is currently doing.

In more general terms my GP is currently anxious for me to go back on some of my heart meds. I was hoping to avoid that, but apparently my iron levels are slightly low and my blood pressure and cholesterol readings are not to his liking.

Jim

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 23:52

No problem Jim. 

Definitely long may it continue 👍

It’s really interesting to hear what the doctors have said, how it can just remain that way for such a long time. I’m hoping it would stop me from panicking if robs PSA rises (although I’m sure it won’t ha)

Robs GP has been wanting him to go on beta blockers for sometime because of fast heartbeat. I often think that it has been the HT that caused it, and now his testosterone is increasing he’s not getting them much at all….without any medication. Whether it’s coincidence I don’t know.

Hope you get sorted out soon with your cholesterol and BP 👍

User
Posted 04 Aug 2022 at 11:19

I unexpectedly had another PSA test today. I went for what I thought was going to be a BNP test. The nurse assembled three bottles, so I asked what they were all for. I only got an answer after all the bottles were full. At the first attempt, which is unusual for me!

"PSA, full blood count and BNP"

Whilst I await my unanticipated PSA results my GP's pharmacist has got me back on low doses of ramipril, bisoprolol and a new (to me) statin - Rosuvastatin. Hopefully my liver won't object to that one!

My resting heart rate is already in the target 55-60 BPM  range, but apparently ramipril and bisoprolol both benefit the heart apart from their headline functions.

Jim

User
Posted 27 Sep 2022 at 16:28

Jonathan will no doubt be pleased to learn that I have recently managed a summer bodyboarding session.

I've also finally received the results of my last, albeit erroneous, PSA test. Up to a new peak of 0.39 ug/L. I'm told "it's nothing to worry about"!

I stuck with the statins until my most recent set of bloods, then I stopped taking them. They were turning me into a zombie. Over the last week two different people have assured me "You look well Jim". Obviously previously I didn't!

Jim

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 16:05

This morning I received a call to book me in for another PSMA PET CT scan in Plymouth next Thursday. Which reminded me that I haven't been faithfully updating this diary!

My PSA had risen to 0.58 ug/L by the end of January. Post test I was called once again by a "GP interested in oncology". Once again I was assured that my current doubling time was nothing to worry about. "At this rate you're more likely to die with prostate cancer than of prostate cancer."

This time around I quibbled a bit. I was after all booked in for another scan in Autumn 2021 which never happened, and more recently the oncology nurse had told me that another scan was indicated if I had 2 consecutive increases in my PSA reading.

After some discussion with the oncologist in Truro I was informed that I'd been put on the waiting list for a scan.

To be continued....

Jim

Edited by member 03 Mar 2023 at 16:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 17:15

Hi Jim,

I've just read your profile and some of your posts.  It's quite a story and an interesting set of psa results.  My psa is slowly rising and had a jump and a drop.

I wondered if you're on the NHS or if you paid for a PSMA test at psa 0,09.  The hospital I'm with said it would be 0.5 before they sent me for one.  I might arrange to pay for one at about 0.14 thinking it might be a bit higher when I actually get it, if it gets that high.  Although I know it might be a bit early. 

I also notice your psa was at 0.1 for a long time then went to 0.2 and 0.3.  Were they not measuring to two decimal places for a period as it seems odd for it to freeze at 0.1 then go to 0.2 and 0.3.   My psa went to 0.1 this month and I'm now thinking of contacting the nurse to find out if it's to one decimal place. Typical it's Friday at 5pm when I read that so will wait until Monday.

I'd have thought they'd have given you RT before 0.5.  There was recently discussion about whether some cases aren't detected by psma.  Yet there are people on here whose psma scan detected a lesion not in the prostate bed so it's not clear which route is best.

Are you hoping the scan finds something or happy to wait longer?  I'm pretty sure I'd want to find it.  It's good that you appear in bright form.  All the best Peter

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 17:52

For info. I initially had brachytherapy in 2015 and was cancer 'free' until 2021 when my PSA started to rise again (6.87 Oct 2021).

In Dec 2021 I had a salvage RARP. Unfortunately 3 months afterwards PSA was 0.49 meaning that all the cancer hadn't been removed.

I've had 2 PSMA Scans since and my PSA in now 0.89 but they haven't been able to detect where the cancer is and they are waiting for it to rise to about 1.2 before giving me another PSA scan.

Initially they told me that they don't usually recommend a PSMA scan unless the PSA is at least 0.5 as below this they are often unable to detect where the cancer is.

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 20:35

Hi Peter,

I'm on the NHS. No choice!

My previous consultant had previously worked at UCLH, which may have helped get me an appointment there when none were unavailable here in the wild and woolly West Country. Immediately post-op my PSA was quoted at < 0.03. Then it was quoted to 3 DPs. Then suddenly it went back to just 1 DP. I've no idea why I'm afraid.

If you read back through the thread, I found myself on a conveyor belt to SRT a while ago. However I decided to jump off it. Quoting my slightly younger self, "At our face to face meeting I pointed out to my new(ish) consultant that I was not of a mind to simply 'throw everything at it'".

My first consultant certainly seemed to hold the view that it's important to detect the location of supposed secondaries if at all possible. If there's something there outside the prostate bed I would definitely like to find it before being "zapped at random"!

Bear in mind that I'm a medical man of mystery. My first ever PSA test revealed a level of 131 ug/L, but I lived to tell a tale of "undetectable" for quite a while. Apart of course from that pesky 1 and bit mm +ve margin. Perhaps what's left pumps out far more PSA than "average"?

Jim

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 20:48

Hi Zumerset,

I'm sorry to hear about your post salvage "relapse".

See just above for a bit more of my history. Perhaps these "magic numbers" depend upon where you're located, and perhaps they change with time? I have to admit that I have sometimes wondered if the thresholds have generally increased due to the Covid-19 pressures on the NHS?

Certainly nothing much has been detected at < 0.5  ug/L in my particular case.  

Jim

User
Posted 09 Mar 2023 at 12:16

Alliance Medical Imaging just called, fortunately before I hit the road.

Production of the radioactive tracer "failed". I'm now booked in for next Wednesday afternoon instead.

Jim

User
Posted 09 Mar 2023 at 12:42

Jim , better luck for next time, it's annoying but not alot we can do. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 18:15

The second time did prove to be lucky Chris, apart from the abysmal weather yesterday afternoon here in soggy SW England.

My current consultant (or a member of his team) would like a chat in Truro at 9:20 on the 30th to discuss the results of my scan. Given the distance from here to there I think I'll try and arrange an alternative appointment.

Jim