I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Feel like our world has been torn apart again

User
Posted 30 Aug 2017 at 10:15
On 23rd May our dad a very healthy fit 79 yr old fell coming out the barbers and fractured his hip . He had a nut & plate fitted after 2 weeks in hospital dad came home . Life changed a lot by having to have bed downstairs nurses coming in for a couple of weeks to check on him. Dad started worrying about toilet habits Dr said it was due to operation. We eventually got him back to the Drs his blood results came back with a high PSA he was put on faster track at his local hospital.

On Monday 14th August we went urology dept where we were told dads PSA was159 we (my sis and I) had reasearched and knew this was way to high. After a chat and examination by advanced nurse practitioner dad was told he had a huge prostrate which was rock hard but what she could feel was smooth . Dad asked what that meant but we knew he had Prostrate cancer. Since then dad has had bone scan today he is having a biopsy and ultra sound on kidneys and testicles to see if & where spread we know he has advanced cancer as the nurse said . We are so devastated & scared it's hard trying to be positive when we lost our mom at the age of 55 to cancer in Dec 1992 . Dad has been put on Tamsuosin & Bicalutmide until we get rest of results why I am writing this I'm not sure think it's just to get it out there how we feel. We are petrified they will say there's nothing they can do for dad like they did with mom. Please let there be some hope treatment to try . You are all so brace and I feel like a coward x

User
Posted 30 Aug 2017 at 11:16

Hi Chelbell,

I know these things are very scary but I think you need to slow down a bit. Some people on here had a PSA in the thousands and are still around. Not sure how the nurse can say he has advanced cancer without having results of scan and biopsy. There are others on here far more qualified to comment than me. Good luck and try to stay strong.

David

User
Posted 30 Aug 2017 at 13:26

There will be lots of treatments to try. Even if it has spread, they will give him other hormone treatments. Many men are still around 5, 10 or more years after being diagnosed with an incurable prostate cancer. You may be worrying that the broken hip is linked to the cancer diagnosis, which it might be, but the doctors would probably have seen any spread to his hip or pelvis when they fitted the plate. Things will be clearer when you get the scan results.

The tamsulosin is just to relax his bladder and help him to wee. The bicalutimide is disguising his testosterone so that the cancer can't find it to feed on.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Aug 2017 at 17:20

Chelbell, my advice is to stay strong and positive. It will help your Dad as well as yourself! As a spry 74 year old, I'm a 10 year survivor of advanced PCa and intend many more years. I think your Dad should have similar ambitions. When you have the various scan results and the sharp downturn in PSA readings that the hormone therapy will no doubt bring, you'll feel a lot happier anyway.
Stay strong and cheerful!

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Aug 2017 at 11:16

Hi Chelbell,

I know these things are very scary but I think you need to slow down a bit. Some people on here had a PSA in the thousands and are still around. Not sure how the nurse can say he has advanced cancer without having results of scan and biopsy. There are others on here far more qualified to comment than me. Good luck and try to stay strong.

David

User
Posted 30 Aug 2017 at 13:26

There will be lots of treatments to try. Even if it has spread, they will give him other hormone treatments. Many men are still around 5, 10 or more years after being diagnosed with an incurable prostate cancer. You may be worrying that the broken hip is linked to the cancer diagnosis, which it might be, but the doctors would probably have seen any spread to his hip or pelvis when they fitted the plate. Things will be clearer when you get the scan results.

The tamsulosin is just to relax his bladder and help him to wee. The bicalutimide is disguising his testosterone so that the cancer can't find it to feed on.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Aug 2017 at 14:40
Thank you lynfor your response and positive views

They help us so much to remain strong and believe that there is hope

X

Edited by member 30 Aug 2017 at 19:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Aug 2017 at 17:20

Chelbell, my advice is to stay strong and positive. It will help your Dad as well as yourself! As a spry 74 year old, I'm a 10 year survivor of advanced PCa and intend many more years. I think your Dad should have similar ambitions. When you have the various scan results and the sharp downturn in PSA readings that the hormone therapy will no doubt bring, you'll feel a lot happier anyway.
Stay strong and cheerful!

AC

User
Posted 30 Aug 2017 at 19:07
Thank you for your comments David feeling more positive today as dr has explained in more detail about treatments dad will be having .