I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anyone else had these problems?

User
Posted 01 Sep 2017 at 10:08

I am 61 and had a radical prostatectomy in October 2016. 30 hours post op I collapsed, internal bleeding. My HB was down to 60. The medics argued whether to open me up again or just go with a transfusion, the latter won!

So after a week in hospital I went home. Two weeks later I was rushed back in, somehow the catheter balloon was outside of the bladder and the join in the urethra was open, allowing all the congealed blood in my abdomen to enter my bladder! Back to theatre and another week in hospital.

Christmas week and the catheter is finally removed. Second week of January a PSA test was 0.4, so it was booked for re-test three weeks later. Then it was 0.9!!!!

They told me there must be some prostate cancer cells left in me.

I was passed from the Surgeon to the Oncologist, her recommendation was 33 sessions of RT. So after the RT I returned to clinic to be told my PSA was 0.8!!

I am now waiting another three months for the next PSA test, when they tell me that I may have to start Hormone therapy.

Apart from getting up in the night a few times to pee, I had no trouble at all before I was diagnosed. I am now really wishing I hadn't had the surgery, as the Histology report says the tumour was fully contained within the prostate. Perhaps Rt would have sorted me. Was I given the wrong advice?

Has anyone else had similar problems?

User
Posted 01 Sep 2017 at 14:46

I can't answer the technical sides of your question Conop but I always advocate less haste than more speed when advising men on their options.

Depending on what the Gleason and PSA are, if you have them low you generally have the time to make informed choices.

It so often happens that we get men on here having gone through the op who regret it bitterly because they then have more problems than they started out with.
Having said that, hindsight is a wonderful thing and non of us would ever make a mistake or judgement call if we had it.

Out of curiosity what were your PSA and Gleason scores.

You've certainly had it rough since your treatment and I hope that the worst it over for you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Sep 2017 at 19:50
I didn't have any practical problems post surgery apart from the incontinence and HD and so I was fortunate. I was a Gleason 9 and having considered my options decided on surgery aso on balance it looked as though this might clear it all up nicely. Following the op I still had a a A PSA reading and so had salvage RT but the PSA was still rising so started HT and 3 months after the first injection - PSA undetectable.

Any regrets - none at all. We got there in the end although I am fully aware that this could change but quite honestly I don't lose any sleep over it.

Like you I had no symptoms and felt as fit as a fiddle but my brother was diagnosed so I had a blood test and here we are.

I just look on it as a step at a time and got over the op before having the RT then got over that before starting HT

Life is still good and I love every day of it. I think you have to dwell on the positives and I am very lucky compared to many in that although life is slightly different you adapt and enjoy it.

All the very best to you with your journey.

Kind regards

Kevan

User
Posted 01 Sep 2017 at 20:43

That's horrendous my heart goes out to you. Just on what you've said, it sounds like someone didn't do a good job and frankly I would be calling one of those solicitor ads you see on TV for medical negligence. What you need (deserve) right now is a top doctor/surgeon who knows what needs doing and if that means paying get them to pay.

User
Posted 01 Sep 2017 at 23:04

Yours is indeed a horrendous story Conop. I'm sorry to hear that you've suffered so.

I too was offered RT and surgery. I selected the latter and I'm very glad that I did. I'd have been even happier if my histology report had stated that the tumour was fully contained within the prostate, but it didn't. Nonetheless my post op trials and tribulations have been insignificant compared to yours.

As others have suggested, please fill out your profile with a few more facts and figures which will allow more informed commentary from the rest of us.

As one of my consultants told me only this morning, "try to maintain a healthy lifestyle and a positive attitude". Sometimes that's easier said than done though.

Jim

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
User
Posted 01 Sep 2017 at 23:09
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have had a rough time with your surgery, out of interest did you have open, laprascopic or Robotic assisted surgery ? I had an issue with my catheter removal which is still giving me problems three and a half years on.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Sep 2017 at 09:22

My original PSA was 7.9 and the Gleeson 3+4

User
Posted 03 Sep 2017 at 09:26

I had laprascopic surgery Chris. My hospital didn't offer robotic.