I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just got hospital appointment

User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 22:13

Hi all to say I am scared would be an understatement. I am a 48 year old who had a blood test 2 weeks ago and happened to mention to the nurse that I was up a couple times during the night going to the bathroom and she wrote on my blood samples to check psa this was Friday by Monday I had a call to say that I had to come and see the doctor who told me my psa was high and he gave me a dre and told me my prostate was large but not to worry. Today I have my letter to go to see a consultant at the hospital on the 3rd oct I feel like this is a bad dream and cant talk to anyone about it. I shut my family out if they talk about it does it get any easier knowing rather than not knowing.   

User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 22:37

Undoubtedly easier knowing than wondering - imagining the worst is a human trait. Coping is also a human trait.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 23:59

Absolutely agree with Lyn. Knowledge is everything, without it you will invariably be worrying about the worst possible scenario. And as you will find on this site, there are so many possibilities including the fact it could be just an enlarged prostate.

Once you have the facts, share them here and you will get extraordinary support from people who really understand.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2017 at 01:21

The PSA test is unreliable and if your Prostate is much enlarged, this could account entirely or partially for your high PSA. I trust that your GP checked you for a urinary infection as this could also have increased your PSA. However, it could be your PSA test was very high prompting your GP referring you to a urologist. I would suggest that you ascertain the actual number of your PSA test and obtain all details of your histology and any scans done as you are entitled to these and can help you know as you progress, should indeed there be sufficient reason to do these.

If your family were unaware that you were having your situation investigated, I could understand you not wishing to cause them what could be unnecessary concern, however from what you say, it is clear that they are aware and naturally concerned. I suggest you say to them that there is no point speculating - best wait for your appointment with urologist and results of any tests he/she may initiate. It is not an unusual reaction of some men to not wish to involve their families. We know this as sometimes we have a man's partner or family member coming on the forum telling us so and seeking support/information on their behalf. So probably in most cases the partner at least would prefer to be updated on the situation directly or indirectly. Like the man, family members find waiting and uncertainty difficult and this can be compounded if he shuts them out.

Just take one step at a time and cross a bridge only when you come to it because you may not need to cross that bridge but if you do it's usually easier to do so with the support of family (young children could be an exception). We are of course intent on helping the man or his family to the best of our ability, although we are not doctors.

Edited by member 22 Sep 2017 at 01:22  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 22:37

Undoubtedly easier knowing than wondering - imagining the worst is a human trait. Coping is also a human trait.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 23:59

Absolutely agree with Lyn. Knowledge is everything, without it you will invariably be worrying about the worst possible scenario. And as you will find on this site, there are so many possibilities including the fact it could be just an enlarged prostate.

Once you have the facts, share them here and you will get extraordinary support from people who really understand.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2017 at 01:21

The PSA test is unreliable and if your Prostate is much enlarged, this could account entirely or partially for your high PSA. I trust that your GP checked you for a urinary infection as this could also have increased your PSA. However, it could be your PSA test was very high prompting your GP referring you to a urologist. I would suggest that you ascertain the actual number of your PSA test and obtain all details of your histology and any scans done as you are entitled to these and can help you know as you progress, should indeed there be sufficient reason to do these.

If your family were unaware that you were having your situation investigated, I could understand you not wishing to cause them what could be unnecessary concern, however from what you say, it is clear that they are aware and naturally concerned. I suggest you say to them that there is no point speculating - best wait for your appointment with urologist and results of any tests he/she may initiate. It is not an unusual reaction of some men to not wish to involve their families. We know this as sometimes we have a man's partner or family member coming on the forum telling us so and seeking support/information on their behalf. So probably in most cases the partner at least would prefer to be updated on the situation directly or indirectly. Like the man, family members find waiting and uncertainty difficult and this can be compounded if he shuts them out.

Just take one step at a time and cross a bridge only when you come to it because you may not need to cross that bridge but if you do it's usually easier to do so with the support of family (young children could be an exception). We are of course intent on helping the man or his family to the best of our ability, although we are not doctors.

Edited by member 22 Sep 2017 at 01:22  | Reason: Not specified

Barry