I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

6 week Post Op urologist appt - Surgery (prostatectomy / RP)

User
Posted 22 Sep 2017 at 13:47

Hi All,

I'm 5 and half weeks post op. Had my radical prostatectomy on 15th August. I've had a few difficulties post op. They had to cut both ureters which were in the way. There's a stent in one which I get removed on Monday. I went back into hospital on the day I was discharged with excruciating kidney pain in the side opposite the one with the stent. Thankfully I'm not in pain now. Just a bit of discomfort with the stent. I've had infections, and have some incontinence but that's started improving.

I'm aged 49. Pre op my Gleason was 4+3. The tumour was anterior and on the edge of the prostate. After the op, the surgeon said he couldn't see anything in the lymph and so didn't touch it. 

I just has my first PSA test since the op (5 weeks and 2 days) and the result is <0.1. I realised how much emotion I was holding when I got the result. I know it's early days, but I was expecting it to be something different.

I'm meeting the urologist next Tuesday to discuss the pathology report, PSA result and next actions. Does anyone have advice on what questions I should be asking? I've seen mention of the margins. 

Thanks in anticipation.

Steven

User
Posted 23 Sep 2017 at 09:16
S

As you have already mentioned knowing if you had positive margins is important. The consultant might also have an idea what the chances of recurrence are. I had positive margins and also had extraprostatic extension, the latter was not really explained to me. I was told I had a 30 percent chance of recurrence and unfortunately he was right.

I was given my PSA results to two decimal points and it did give me a better picture of what was happening in the months following surgery. I personally found it better to know I was probably heading for further treatment.

Sounds like you have been through the mill already so I hope your meeting next week is all good news.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 23 Sep 2017 at 10:03

I think there might be a bit of a muddle here. Are you saying that you are upset / disappointed by the PSA result or the emotion was relief?

You say it was not what you were expecting so I think you might have been expecting the wrong thing.

Edited by member 23 Sep 2017 at 10:04  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Sep 2017 at 21:27

Thanks very much for the responses. I really appreciate it. Sorry for the confusion Lyn. Yes, I was pleased with the first PSA post op. The emotion was relief. Not sure what you mean by expecting the wrong thing. My understanding was that there's often residual PSA the few weeks after the op, so a test this early isn't necessarily a good indicator. That's my stent out now. I'm feeling more human each day and am looking forward to a bit of normality.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 00:31

Ha ha - relief! I was concerned that you were disappointed by the <0.1 and had expected it to be lower. The first PSA test is usually done 6 weeks post-op and is fairly reliable. <0.1 is the lowest you can get if your area tests to one decimal place so I hope you have had a couple of glasses of something to celebrate?

Keep on getting more human :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 19:54

So some good and some not so good news at my 6 week post-op consultation with the surgeon who carried out my op. He confirmed the pathology report showed negative margins (great) but also showed an extraprostatic extension. This means my cancer is now classified as locally advanced. PT3A. Extraprostatic extension or microscopic invasion of the bladder neck. He did confirm that although there was an extension, he did allow a margin around it during surgery.He said the chances of recurrence ar 10-20%. So now I'm on 6 weekly PSA tests. If it goes to 0.1 or above then I'm on to radiotherapy. Any thoughts on any of this much appreciated.

Steven

Edited by member 26 Sep 2017 at 20:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Sep 2017 at 19:47
Steven

It is good that your medical team are being proactive with the more frequent PSA Tests. Easier said than done sometimes, but just get on with life and adjust to your new norm, worrying will not make matters better. You still have lots of options should the PSA rise.

Best wishes for the future.

Thanks Chris