I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Not waving but drowningapologies to the poet Stevie

User
Posted 14 Oct 2017 at 21:54
Apologies to Stevie Smith but I feel that sometimes I'm drowning in the facts and the trials and tribulations of this disease. Ten year ago we were optimistic , celebrating my husband's 60th birthday. In the ensuing years it has been a " roller coaster" now, I love roller coasters but stop ! I want to get off. And now reality bites, his 70th birthday I decided not to plan a birthday party but rather book a fancy restaurant, day before he looked awful, decided on an early night , then , on his birthday went to make tea himself, hadn't slept at all well, birthday celebrations went out the window, spent all day fending of phone calls from Australian relatives wishing him well without alarming them, also his 90 year old dad wanted to call in so lied about Gounod out to lunch to restaurant. I felt exhausted, angry, and generally cheated! In all the years we've pushed the boat out on all his ' big' birthdays but now alas no more. Unfortunately my husband doesn't believe in carpe denim but just keep on plodding along.

However, must grateful for small mercies he is well again today and who knows we may be able to heD of to a fancy restaurant for lunch I definitely believe in seizing the day so as soon as he mentions he fancies a nice meal , the champagne is on ice, and the restaurant is nearby just try and stop me M

User
Posted 15 Oct 2017 at 09:02

Nobody feels like celebrating much with cancer hanging over their heads. Carpe Diem works for some, for our daughter and grandson it is their mantra.

For others having to think of it produces the reality. Plodding along as normally as possibly means that huge black cloud can be ignored for as long as possible.

Special birthdays and anniversaries are still just a date in the calendar. Whether you go for a birthday meal on the day or the next day or the next week, you are still celebrating the fact that your husband and love is still here to share it.

Make the most of it when he feels up to it. I'm sure you will.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails