I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Round and round

User
Posted 15 Dec 2017 at 12:42

My husband was diagnosed with PC last week.  To say we are both shell shocked is putting it mildly.

Everyone from the hospital has been wonderful and helpful and we cannot fault it.

How does everyone diagnosed with this disease cope with the thoughts that go round and round your brain all

the time like a hamster on a wheel.

We are trying to keep busy but any minute of the day or night we are re-living all that has gone on in the past couple

of weeks leading up to diagnosis and discussion on treatment.  We want to ask the right questions but don't seem articulate

just yet.  Any advice how to handle this will be gratefully received.

User
Posted 15 Dec 2017 at 13:21

Hello Adnyl,

Sorry that you find yourself here, especially at this time of year, but the forum is full of experienced advice and support.

I found it very useful to get information about the diagnosis, so strongly recommend getting the 'Toolkit' of publications from this website, or telephone them on the number above, and here 0800 074 8383, option 2 publications. The people are very helpful.

With these booklets it will give information which will help you ask the right questions

It would be useful to post what diagnosis and stage that you are at so members can give you more specific information.

I would say you're doing the right thing keeping busy and occupied to stop the brain whizzing, which gets it too tired to deal positively with the situation.

There are many longstanding members on the board here offering advice and support so you are in the right place.

Best wishes, G

User
Posted 15 Dec 2017 at 13:42

As above , get all the info you can on leaflets to read from this site. Also , phone the nurses and explain exactly your situation. They are amazing and know this cancer and it’s treatments inside out. Try to be fully informed before you make choices, as most treatments are life changing one way or another. The only consolation I can give is to try to slow down , as in the vast majority of cases this cancer is slow growing and can at least be controlled. My cancer is very aggressive but I’m still here 3yrs after diagnosis. Click my picture and read my profile. Good luck

User
Posted 15 Dec 2017 at 15:18
I know it’s incredibly difficult to take it all in, first you can download the toolkit from this site, get yourself a notebook and write down any questions that you want to ask at your next appointment you go along to . Always ask for copies of the letter that are sent to your husband’s gp.

The more information that you can get I guarantee that you will feel more confident and calmer.. above all this is a great site you will find lots of support and advice and there is so many various treatments and procedures, my husband was first diagnosed in 2007 and still going strong so try not to think of it as the end of the world, you will get through it .

Keep in touch

Regards Judith

User
Posted 15 Dec 2017 at 21:12

Thank you all. It has given me something to think about and it's comforting to know that we are not alone
I will follow up your suggestions. I have already sent for, and received, the just diagnosed leaflet . thank you all

User
Posted 19 Dec 2017 at 11:14

Hi, I found the first few weeks after dx exhausting as in what could I have done better, what do a need to do, etc. There is always a lot of second guessing at this point which is no good but only human nature. I’d looked at toolkit, and this website. Try not to google as it sends you every direction.
Once the consultation and all scans are out of the way then you have a Plan A to start which focus’s you.
We found talking about it helped a lot. Some days we talked a lot about it and sometimes not at all, but if one wants to talk about it, the other should listen!

When consultation comes focus on what treatments they are suggesting, any alternatives, and either bring a pen and paper or I used my phone to record the conversation. They hopefully give you some time to see what is best for you. My onco was brilliant and guided us though every option

Good luck

Steven

Edited by member 19 Dec 2017 at 11:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Dec 2017 at 15:05

I was diagnosed back in May with incurable advance stage PC that was widespread through the bones. Those words "cancer" and "incurable" are not one's you ever want to hear spoken about you or yours. Initially we were in a right state and it took many months to get our heads round things. Once you start on a treatment path it will get easier. I found my McMillan nurse a huge help. The hardest thing for me to date has been dealing with the side effects of the treatment. In my case double dose of hormone treatment rather than chemo and this has completely emasculated me and made the treatment feel like a punishment. Good luck

User

I was diagnosed back in May with incurable advance stage PC that was widespread through the bones. Those words "cancer" and "incurable" are not one's you ever want to hear spoken about you or yours. Initially we were in a right state and it took many months to get our heads round things. Once you start on a treatment path it will get easier. I found my McMillan nurse a huge help. The hardest thing for me to date has been dealing with the side effects of the treatment. In my case double dose of hormone treatment rather than chemo and this has completely emasculated me and made the treatment feel like a punishment. Good luck

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Dec 2017 at 13:21

Hello Adnyl,

Sorry that you find yourself here, especially at this time of year, but the forum is full of experienced advice and support.

I found it very useful to get information about the diagnosis, so strongly recommend getting the 'Toolkit' of publications from this website, or telephone them on the number above, and here 0800 074 8383, option 2 publications. The people are very helpful.

With these booklets it will give information which will help you ask the right questions

It would be useful to post what diagnosis and stage that you are at so members can give you more specific information.

I would say you're doing the right thing keeping busy and occupied to stop the brain whizzing, which gets it too tired to deal positively with the situation.

There are many longstanding members on the board here offering advice and support so you are in the right place.

Best wishes, G

User
Posted 15 Dec 2017 at 13:42

As above , get all the info you can on leaflets to read from this site. Also , phone the nurses and explain exactly your situation. They are amazing and know this cancer and it’s treatments inside out. Try to be fully informed before you make choices, as most treatments are life changing one way or another. The only consolation I can give is to try to slow down , as in the vast majority of cases this cancer is slow growing and can at least be controlled. My cancer is very aggressive but I’m still here 3yrs after diagnosis. Click my picture and read my profile. Good luck

User
Posted 15 Dec 2017 at 15:18
I know it’s incredibly difficult to take it all in, first you can download the toolkit from this site, get yourself a notebook and write down any questions that you want to ask at your next appointment you go along to . Always ask for copies of the letter that are sent to your husband’s gp.

The more information that you can get I guarantee that you will feel more confident and calmer.. above all this is a great site you will find lots of support and advice and there is so many various treatments and procedures, my husband was first diagnosed in 2007 and still going strong so try not to think of it as the end of the world, you will get through it .

Keep in touch

Regards Judith

User
Posted 15 Dec 2017 at 21:12

Thank you all. It has given me something to think about and it's comforting to know that we are not alone
I will follow up your suggestions. I have already sent for, and received, the just diagnosed leaflet . thank you all

User
Posted 19 Dec 2017 at 11:14

Hi, I found the first few weeks after dx exhausting as in what could I have done better, what do a need to do, etc. There is always a lot of second guessing at this point which is no good but only human nature. I’d looked at toolkit, and this website. Try not to google as it sends you every direction.
Once the consultation and all scans are out of the way then you have a Plan A to start which focus’s you.
We found talking about it helped a lot. Some days we talked a lot about it and sometimes not at all, but if one wants to talk about it, the other should listen!

When consultation comes focus on what treatments they are suggesting, any alternatives, and either bring a pen and paper or I used my phone to record the conversation. They hopefully give you some time to see what is best for you. My onco was brilliant and guided us though every option

Good luck

Steven

Edited by member 19 Dec 2017 at 11:18  | Reason: Not specified

User

User