I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Statistical comparison of Treatment Outcomes

User
Posted 01 Jan 2018 at 22:04

I have posted on this before but the information has been updated and put on a new web site.  Treatments compared are based on numerous studies and over 100,000 men who have been followed for some 15 years. Although this is posted here under localised cancer, the treatment results are categorised as for Low, Intermediate and High. risk.  It is possible to see all results under the tutorial together with links to the studies on which the graphs are based or remove treatments to show a reduced number of treatments or just one.  It will be observed that results vary greatly even within each treatment and not all may be suitable for an individual patient.  So this is not intended to be what is best for an individual but serves more as an indication of how a large number of men have responded to various treatments. It also has to be remembered that it is looking back some 15 years past when the men were treated and since then, particularly as regards radiation in various forms, there have been advances which are expected to improve results in subsequent years. You could start working round the site here :- https://prostatecancerfree.org/

NB. In a minority of cases PSA may still be low but cancer more advanced than believed by this indicator and this could have been made clear.

Edited by member 02 Jan 2018 at 22:32  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 01 Jan 2018 at 22:04

I have posted on this before but the information has been updated and put on a new web site.  Treatments compared are based on numerous studies and over 100,000 men who have been followed for some 15 years. Although this is posted here under localised cancer, the treatment results are categorised as for Low, Intermediate and High. risk.  It is possible to see all results under the tutorial together with links to the studies on which the graphs are based or remove treatments to show a reduced number of treatments or just one.  It will be observed that results vary greatly even within each treatment and not all may be suitable for an individual patient.  So this is not intended to be what is best for an individual but serves more as an indication of how a large number of men have responded to various treatments. It also has to be remembered that it is looking back some 15 years past when the men were treated and since then, particularly as regards radiation in various forms, there have been advances which are expected to improve results in subsequent years. You could start working round the site here :- https://prostatecancerfree.org/

NB. In a minority of cases PSA may still be low but cancer more advanced than believed by this indicator and this could have been made clear.

Edited by member 02 Jan 2018 at 22:32  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 02 Jan 2018 at 22:40

Agree better place to start. Have amended my post. Thank you Andrew.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Jan 2018 at 22:40

Agree better place to start. Have amended my post. Thank you Andrew.

Barry
User
Posted 03 Jan 2018 at 08:42
Goodness - I hate trying to interpret graphs. Not my strong point. I'm going to have a cup of tea with one of my maths teacher colleagues and get him to explain this to me!

Ulsterman

User
Posted 03 Jan 2018 at 22:10

Thanks Barry,  I enjoy graphs.  I viewed these from the view of someone who has had an op rather than someone who is trying to work out which has best outcome.

If there was a study covering near to my case described below and even then it's likely there will be some peculiar conditions.

I have a high risk Gleason 4+4, which makes me high risk, but low risk on other categories, also negative margin but close to edge at the apex.  I tell myself it makes chances a bit better than most high risk, we need these beliefs for a few months between blood tests anyway.

On these graphs it's probably better to look at trends but even then each case has some unique characteristics, as I know you're aware.

Regards

Peter

Edited by member 03 Jan 2018 at 22:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Jan 2018 at 22:41
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Goodness - I hate trying to interpret graphs. Not my strong point. I'm going to have a cup of tea with one of my maths teacher colleagues and get him to explain this to me!

Ulsterman

😂😂😂

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard