Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

PSMA scan for PSA of 0.023?

User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 13:09

It’s great to have a good relationship with your Onco. Mine fully understands my decisions and I asked him if I was being stupid and he said not at all. He’s a prof of medical Oncology. He’s running the new immunology stuff here in Southampton. He’s made it clear I’ll need treatment —he even suggested I may not reach 56 , but he knows I want good years with QOL.
I took 20mg Tamoxifen once per week mate

If life gives you lemons , then make lemonade

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 15:55
My GP had never heard of tamoxifen being used to prevent breast pain and growth. He did a bit of reading up on it and said it seemed perfectly sensible and prescribed it.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 16:31
Well good on your GP, quick question though, what will the Onco say when he/she finds out? I think it’s better that all the information about treatment is clear to all involved and you have a bit of an issue with an Onco daying no to a treatment and a GP saying yes.

I’m now on weekly 20mg, though my Onco seemed a bit reluctant. I think it is helping slightly with the pain as it seems to be lessening and in a less large area beneath the nipples - there are small moobs though but hopefully growth can be halted

The 10mg didn’t seem to be helping much though I wasn’t on it for long

Edited by member 09 Mar 2018 at 16:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 21:44
Out of curiosity Ulsterman,

What dosage did your GP prescribe?

Bill

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 21:57

Love it Walter. Guide your own recovery. To be informed is excellent. My GP said I know far far more about PCa than him ! Good luck

User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 11:31
Bill - I'm on bicalutimide for six months and don't see the oncologist again until late July, so I'll cross the GP/oncologist bridge then if I have to. I have been prescribed 20mg per week. TBH, I don't want man boobs if I can avoid them so I don't care. I suppose the question would be how soon one stops using tamoxifen once the bicalutimide stops.

Chris - once again, this forum has empwered the patient!

Ulsterman

User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 13:38
Yep

I agree with you Ulsterman, Oncos need to take gynecomastia more seriously

Kudos on getting the treatment you need

User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 16:24

An update on my post SRT PSA result.  Pre treatment it was 0.023.  It is now 0.006.  Oncologist is over the moon and I’m off backpacking in Central America.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 17:33

Brilliant news. Just what you want. Enjoy your backpacking trip.☺

Ann

User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 18:24
Great news. Chuffed for you and you had the evidence in front of you. Enjoy your holiday

User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 18:26

Great news. Enjoy your time away.

User
Posted 20 Jul 2018 at 22:53
Brilliant news
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 10:18

Briĺiant news Ulsterman. The scan and the treatments have worked for you.

Enjoy your break

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 12:02
Brilliant...enjoy Central America

Bri

User
Posted 21 Jul 2018 at 14:40
From your starting point you have done very well. Now enjoy the well earned hol.

Ray