I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My husband has advanced prostate cancer

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 13:45

Hello. My husband has been diagnosed with Advanced Prostate Cancer. He has Grade 4 and it has spread into the Pelvic Lymph nodes and Pelvic bone. He is currently having Chemotherapy and then to follow, 7 weeks of Radiotherapy. 

I guess I'm looking for messages of hope. Thank you.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 21:51
Hi Lillie

I don’t know if this helps, but my hubby was diagnosed 7 years ago this Xmas last with a Gleason score of 10, PSA of 25 and spread to lymph and bones. He’s never had chemo but has just finished Radium 223. His current PSA is 78. He’s done well over the years, despite a few troubles, mainly kidney related leading to a supra pubic catheter. We thought he would be long gone by now, but he’s still happily with us. He was 61 at diagnosis and determined to make 70, I’m sure he will do it.

Fingers crossed for good results for you too.

Lots of love

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 14:11

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for your responses, it's good to know I'm not alone in this, so glad I joined this site.

We saw the Oncologist last night and he's very happy with how the Chemo is progressing. He'll have 4 weeks of Radiotherapy rather than 7 weeks, it will be very high doses.

I hope all your husbands are doing okay at this time and send you my very best wishes. Thanks again.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2018 at 11:03

Hello

I'm delighted to say that after 8 Chemo sessions and 4 weeks of RT, my husbands PSA is down from 580 to 0.53.

The Oncologist has said he doesn't need to see him now for 6 months, this did make us quite nervous as we thought it would be every 3 months.

He will be on HT for the rest of his life and was told to make sure he is taking Vitamin D and Calcium for his bones.

It was really nice to meet everyone at the Get Together in June.

Best wishes to you all.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 15:10

Hello Lillie, I see you have been a "quiet" member for a few months so belated welcome.

As you must have seen other posts in that time I'm sure you'll know that somebody is likely to be along to reassure you.

Please do not give up hope, there are a number of people on here who will be able to inspire you and give you imformation.

I hope he is coping with the Chemo and that the radiotherapy goes well.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 15:43

Hello Sandra, Thanks for your reply. Yes he is coping well with the Chemo, only two left to go now and then onto the Radiotherapy. He has pain in his back which is worrying him. We are seeing the Oncologist this evening so maybe he will organize an X Ray to check it out. Hard not to fear the worst. He was diagnosed back in September 2017. Since the Chemo started, his PSA has come down from 584 to 1.64 so hopefully he is going in the right direction.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 16:32

Hi Lillie - my husband also has Advanced Pca (diagnosed Oct '16). His PSA was over 6000 when he was diagnosed. He hasn't had any radiotherapy (not sure why - it might just be different health authorities) but he did have chemo last year. Its good to see that your husband has had a positive response to it in terms of his PSA. Hope the radiotherapy helps too.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 17:32
Hi Lillie

My husband , 65, was diagnosed at the beginning of Dec 2017 with advanced PCa. Spread to bones, pelvis, spine and ribs mainly. Also in lymph nodes in pelvis and slightly compromising his left kidney. His Gleason is 4+4, so an 8. He had no symptoms. He has started hormone treatment and is due to start chemo, Docetaxel after oncology appointment on the 30th.

So, we are a little bit behind you and your husband. I’m new to this too so don’t feel I can necessarily offer advice, I’m still learning but could support you as I really do know what you are going through! I’ve been lucky to have support on the forum and everyone is so kind. I think I’ve got over the initial shock because I’ve been so tearful this past week, welling up every time my husband pops out!! Great news about the PSA for you. We were at 210 but haven’t had another test yet.

Good luck with everything, no matter how lonely we might feel, we are not on our own with this!

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 21:51
Hi Lillie

I don’t know if this helps, but my hubby was diagnosed 7 years ago this Xmas last with a Gleason score of 10, PSA of 25 and spread to lymph and bones. He’s never had chemo but has just finished Radium 223. His current PSA is 78. He’s done well over the years, despite a few troubles, mainly kidney related leading to a supra pubic catheter. We thought he would be long gone by now, but he’s still happily with us. He was 61 at diagnosis and determined to make 70, I’m sure he will do it.

Fingers crossed for good results for you too.

Lots of love

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 22:39
Hi Lillie

Really feel for you. I can remember how I felt when my husband was diagnosed in May 2016 with advanced prostate cancer with spread to his bones. We were completely devastated. He didn’t have any symptoms except he’d been suffering from mild ED for a few months . He was 58 then and had a PSA of 54 Gleason 9. But he’s done really well on his treatment path so far. He is on hormone therapy for life, which I have to say is a complete story in its self. He has had six chemo cycles and his PSA went down to 0. 2 but has started to creep up slowly over the last six months and is at 1.89 at the moment so he has had scans done this week to determine the next step. He has a very positive outlook on life and just try’s to get on with things. So please don’t despair there are lots of treatments to help your husband. This forum is a great place to visit for information and support from lots of lovely people who are all going through the same thing, so please keep in touch and I wish you both well on your journey.

Debbie x

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 14:11

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for your responses, it's good to know I'm not alone in this, so glad I joined this site.

We saw the Oncologist last night and he's very happy with how the Chemo is progressing. He'll have 4 weeks of Radiotherapy rather than 7 weeks, it will be very high doses.

I hope all your husbands are doing okay at this time and send you my very best wishes. Thanks again.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 15:02

The 4 weeks at higher dose (probably 3GY) was a trial when John had it. They were trying to work out how high a dose could be given before the side effects became too bad. What they discovered was that 19 or 20 sessions (called fractions) at 3Gy (a total of 60Gy) was more effective than the traditional 37 fractions at 2Gy (total 74Gy) and with fewer side effects - the radiotherapy accumulates so the 60 dose hits just as hard as the 74. I think John had 20 fractions at 3.2Gy and breezed through it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 13:43

Hi Lyn, thanks for that information on the Radiotherapy, sounds positive. When did your husband have his Radiotherapy?

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 15:38

5 1/2 years ago

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Aug 2018 at 11:03

Hello

I'm delighted to say that after 8 Chemo sessions and 4 weeks of RT, my husbands PSA is down from 580 to 0.53.

The Oncologist has said he doesn't need to see him now for 6 months, this did make us quite nervous as we thought it would be every 3 months.

He will be on HT for the rest of his life and was told to make sure he is taking Vitamin D and Calcium for his bones.

It was really nice to meet everyone at the Get Together in June.

Best wishes to you all.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2018 at 18:10

Great response to treatment.

Ido4

User
Posted 02 Aug 2018 at 18:28
Brilliant news for both of you Lillie

So pleased for you

User
Posted 21 Aug 2018 at 04:43
I was diagnosed with Advanced Prostrate Cancer yesterday. My PSA is 14 and I've embarked on hormone treatment. I'm 63 had no symptoms apart from having to wee more frequently which I put down to age and slightly enlarged prostrate.

The cancer has spread to my hip bone.

I'm waiting for an appointment with the Oncologist, likelihood is I'll be starting chemotherapy in a few weeks.

Still in a state of shock about the speed of events, my wife is devastated but reading the above thread has given me a bit of hope after the initial shock.

Any tips to walk me through the next few weeks would be really helpful.

User
Posted 21 Aug 2018 at 07:49
Hello JasperM

I'm sorry that I don't have the knowledge you need but I'm just posting to say you might get better responses if you start your own thread as replies to you (which I'm sure you'll get) might get lost in this one.

Best Wishes

User
Posted 21 Aug 2018 at 12:26

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I was diagnosed with Advanced Prostrate Cancer yesterday. My PSA is 14 and I've embarked on hormone treatment. I'm 63 had no symptoms apart from having to wee more frequently which I put down to age and slightly enlarged prostrate.
The cancer has spread to my hip bone.
I'm waiting for an appointment with the Oncologist, likelihood is I'll be starting chemotherapy in a few weeks.
Still in a state of shock about the speed of events, my wife is devastated but reading the above thread has given me a bit of hope after the initial shock.
Any tips to walk me through the next few weeks would be really helpful.

Best advice I can offer is stay in touch with forums like this and learn all about your disease. It sounds like you are being treated by an up to date Onco  (early chemo for metatasized PC is current best practice) but don't assume they have all the answers and question everything until you are happy with their responses.

You should probably also look at diet and lifestyle to make sure you are fit and getting the right nutrients in your diet. But be careful with Google on this as there are a lot of quacks out there!

You will be in for a rough time emotionally so make sure you give yourself time to come to terms with everything. You will see from this forum that individual responses vary so there is no right or wrong way to deal with it. But it is important for you continued health and a long remission to get your head in a good place.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 19:31

Hi Lillie, for some strange reason i couldnt reply on other post. so sorrh for delayed reply  I had accupuncture every 3 weeks and it sorted the flushes

User
Posted 30 Jun 2020 at 09:18

Hello,

My husband has 6 monthly PSA tests. He had a result of 0.24, then 0.49, then just last week 1.4

The oncologist has told him that the rise indicates that the cancer is back, however, he wants to wait 6 months before doing a PSMA PET Scan, to find out where the cancer is.

6 months seems a awful long time to wait. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

Thanks

Lillie

User
Posted 30 Jun 2020 at 17:58
I think that because it wouldn't change the treatment plan at this stage, there is little point in redoing the PSA test any sooner. In 6 months, there is more chance of the PSMA scan being able to pick up the active tumours and determine whether they are new areas or those already known about.

As he responded so well to the chemo first time round, they might suggest trying that again. Is he still having Prostap or Zoladex? Have they suggested adding bicalutimide tablets back in for a while to give the HT a boost? Have they mentioned adding enzalutimide or abiraterone? As weird as it sounds, there will be no great rush to add new hormones immediately as the sooner he starts on them, the sooner they will stop working. The challenge for the onco is predicting the optimum time to add in / take out the different treatments that are still available.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2020 at 20:10

Thanks very much for your response Lyn. Yes hubby is still on 3 monthly Zoladex. Bicalutimide has been mentioned, however not prescribed as yet.

What you say makes sense, it's just the waiting game now.

Thanks again, that was very helpful.

Catherine

User
Posted 30 Jun 2020 at 21:06
Okay, that's good; adding bicalutimide sometimes just gives the Zoladex the little boost it needs to work more effectively. The Zoladex should stop all production of testosterone but when it stops working so well, the bicalutimide disguises whatever testosterone is there so that the cancer cells can't find it. We have had men here for whom adding bicalutimide worked for 2 years or more. Eventually though, the cancer realises it is being tricked and learns to actually feed on the bical, at which point the oncologist will pull your husband off it - this leads to an anti-androgen withdrawal ... the cancer thinks it is being starved again.

Add in possibilities of more chemo (worked brilliantly last time & so there is a good chance of it working again), abi or enza (both of which will kick the testosterone out of the park and starve the cancer), radium 223 (if he has bone mets) ... there are still lots of tools in the bag. The onco might even decide to try one or more of those things and leave bical as a future option.

Don't lose hope - you have a long way to go, I think.

User
Posted 08 Oct 2020 at 10:36

Hi Susie W,

How is your husband doing?

I lost all  contacts in my phone, so have been unable to make contract.

Hope all is well with you.

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 14:11

Hello,

My husband hasn't been feeling too good lately, so we decided to ask for a PSA test now, rather than wait till January.

His PSA has gone from 1.4 in June to 2.99, is that a significant rise in that time?

Oncologist is arranging a PET Scan for next week.

Thanks

Catherine

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 14:51
Did they add the bicalutimide after you last posted in June?

His doubling time is less than 6 months so it is probably the right time to add a new treatment.

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 15:10

Hi Lyn

Thanks for your response.

No, they didn't add the Bicalutimide.

I'm guessing the PET scan will show where in his body the cancer is? and then decide treatment from there?

User
Posted 30 Oct 2020 at 21:49
The scan might spot the cancers cells but the clusters may be so tiny that they can't be seen.

User
Posted 24 Nov 2020 at 11:31

Hello everyone

Does anyone have experience with Apalutamide?

My husband was prescribed it last week. So far the side effects are just extreme tiredness.

His PSMA Scan showed no new bone Mets, the cancer is contained in the Prostate.

Thanks

Catherine