I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My husband has advanced prostate cancer

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 13:45

Hello. My husband has been diagnosed with Advanced Prostate Cancer. He has Grade 4 and it has spread into the Pelvic Lymph nodes and Pelvic bone. He is currently having Chemotherapy and then to follow, 7 weeks of Radiotherapy. 

I guess I'm looking for messages of hope. Thank you.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 21:51
Hi Lillie

I don’t know if this helps, but my hubby was diagnosed 7 years ago this Xmas last with a Gleason score of 10, PSA of 25 and spread to lymph and bones. He’s never had chemo but has just finished Radium 223. His current PSA is 78. He’s done well over the years, despite a few troubles, mainly kidney related leading to a supra pubic catheter. We thought he would be long gone by now, but he’s still happily with us. He was 61 at diagnosis and determined to make 70, I’m sure he will do it.

Fingers crossed for good results for you too.

Lots of love

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 14:11

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for your responses, it's good to know I'm not alone in this, so glad I joined this site.

We saw the Oncologist last night and he's very happy with how the Chemo is progressing. He'll have 4 weeks of Radiotherapy rather than 7 weeks, it will be very high doses.

I hope all your husbands are doing okay at this time and send you my very best wishes. Thanks again.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 15:10

Hello Lillie, I see you have been a "quiet" member for a few months so belated welcome.

As you must have seen other posts in that time I'm sure you'll know that somebody is likely to be along to reassure you.

Please do not give up hope, there are a number of people on here who will be able to inspire you and give you imformation.

I hope he is coping with the Chemo and that the radiotherapy goes well.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 15:43

Hello Sandra, Thanks for your reply. Yes he is coping well with the Chemo, only two left to go now and then onto the Radiotherapy. He has pain in his back which is worrying him. We are seeing the Oncologist this evening so maybe he will organize an X Ray to check it out. Hard not to fear the worst. He was diagnosed back in September 2017. Since the Chemo started, his PSA has come down from 584 to 1.64 so hopefully he is going in the right direction.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 16:32

Hi Lillie - my husband also has Advanced Pca (diagnosed Oct '16). His PSA was over 6000 when he was diagnosed. He hasn't had any radiotherapy (not sure why - it might just be different health authorities) but he did have chemo last year. Its good to see that your husband has had a positive response to it in terms of his PSA. Hope the radiotherapy helps too.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 17:32
Hi Lillie

My husband , 65, was diagnosed at the beginning of Dec 2017 with advanced PCa. Spread to bones, pelvis, spine and ribs mainly. Also in lymph nodes in pelvis and slightly compromising his left kidney. His Gleason is 4+4, so an 8. He had no symptoms. He has started hormone treatment and is due to start chemo, Docetaxel after oncology appointment on the 30th.

So, we are a little bit behind you and your husband. I’m new to this too so don’t feel I can necessarily offer advice, I’m still learning but could support you as I really do know what you are going through! I’ve been lucky to have support on the forum and everyone is so kind. I think I’ve got over the initial shock because I’ve been so tearful this past week, welling up every time my husband pops out!! Great news about the PSA for you. We were at 210 but haven’t had another test yet.

Good luck with everything, no matter how lonely we might feel, we are not on our own with this!

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 21:51
Hi Lillie

I don’t know if this helps, but my hubby was diagnosed 7 years ago this Xmas last with a Gleason score of 10, PSA of 25 and spread to lymph and bones. He’s never had chemo but has just finished Radium 223. His current PSA is 78. He’s done well over the years, despite a few troubles, mainly kidney related leading to a supra pubic catheter. We thought he would be long gone by now, but he’s still happily with us. He was 61 at diagnosis and determined to make 70, I’m sure he will do it.

Fingers crossed for good results for you too.

Lots of love

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 09 Jan 2018 at 22:39
Hi Lillie

Really feel for you. I can remember how I felt when my husband was diagnosed in May 2016 with advanced prostate cancer with spread to his bones. We were completely devastated. He didn’t have any symptoms except he’d been suffering from mild ED for a few months . He was 58 then and had a PSA of 54 Gleason 9. But he’s done really well on his treatment path so far. He is on hormone therapy for life, which I have to say is a complete story in its self. He has had six chemo cycles and his PSA went down to 0. 2 but has started to creep up slowly over the last six months and is at 1.89 at the moment so he has had scans done this week to determine the next step. He has a very positive outlook on life and just try’s to get on with things. So please don’t despair there are lots of treatments to help your husband. This forum is a great place to visit for information and support from lots of lovely people who are all going through the same thing, so please keep in touch and I wish you both well on your journey.

Debbie x

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 14:11

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for your responses, it's good to know I'm not alone in this, so glad I joined this site.

We saw the Oncologist last night and he's very happy with how the Chemo is progressing. He'll have 4 weeks of Radiotherapy rather than 7 weeks, it will be very high doses.

I hope all your husbands are doing okay at this time and send you my very best wishes. Thanks again.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2018 at 15:02

The 4 weeks at higher dose (probably 3GY) was a trial when John had it. They were trying to work out how high a dose could be given before the side effects became too bad. What they discovered was that 19 or 20 sessions (called fractions) at 3Gy (a total of 60Gy) was more effective than the traditional 37 fractions at 2Gy (total 74Gy) and with fewer side effects - the radiotherapy accumulates so the 60 dose hits just as hard as the 74. I think John had 20 fractions at 3.2Gy and breezed through it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 13:43

Hi Lyn, thanks for that information on the Radiotherapy, sounds positive. When did your husband have his Radiotherapy?

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 15:38

5 1/2 years ago

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard