I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Link between PCa and bowel cancer

User
Posted 12 Jan 2018 at 07:46
Hi not sure if this has been covered before. But does anyone know if there is any link between PCa and bowel cancer. Also is there any genetic link.

I am asking as my brother was on Active surveillance for PCa and at his MRI they discovered a mass in his colon. He had surgery this week to remove a malignant tumour. Hence my questions

Another thought that had crossed my mind since my brothers dx is should men who have had RT be screened at some periodic interval as the RT can increase the risk of secondary cancer

Cheers

Bri

User
Posted 12 Jan 2018 at 19:19

Andrew,. The incidence of secondary cancers following RT is not "very uncommon". There is a great reluctance on the part of oncologists to accept that subsequent bladder cancer (which both my late brother and I got within five years if having RT) and bowel cancer is related to poorly aimed RT. I am very doubtful about the collection of statistics on this, therefore.

I'm sure that modern methods are a great improvement on what was done ten years or more ago, but all who had RT in those early days should be watchful for the signs suggesting a problem.

AC