I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just started Hormone Therapy

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 15:55

I have just commenced a course of HT on cyproterone acetate tablets. I'm to have 3 100mg tablets every day. I have just googled effects and I was surprised to see comments saying "avoid alcohol" when taking cyproterone acetate as it reduces the effectiveness of the treatment. The oncologist radiotherapist didn't mention this but said that I would be on HT for 3 years. If it means I have to stop drinking for 3 years should I not have been told this? The last thing I want/need is for the treatment not to work! Can anyone clarify this for me please?

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 17:44

LOL Lyn Eyre
You know my feelings and many other’s on here. Three years no alcohol —- with this disease ??? That will be a no ......
I’m facing it head on , with a glass in my hand , until my body says no xx

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 08:08
A few years ago, in fact ten years ago when having an appointment with his urologist , my husband was not at all happy with his manner he was arrogant and dismissive of any questions my husband asked him. After the consultation my husband did a bit of asking around and he requested a different consultant for his next consultation. The contrast was immense and very much successful so if you don’t have faith in your assigned consultant then I suggest that you request a different one you are entitled to switch via the N H S. It’s so important that you have every confidence in your consult, it’s a team effort.

Good luck

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 15:55

I have just commenced a course of HT on cyproterone acetate tablets. I'm to have 3 100mg tablets every day. I have just googled effects and I was surprised to see comments saying "avoid alcohol" when taking cyproterone acetate as it reduces the effectiveness of the treatment. The oncologist radiotherapist didn't mention this but said that I would be on HT for 3 years. If it means I have to stop drinking for 3 years should I not have been told this? The last thing I want/need is for the treatment not to work! Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 16:21

That's shocking on two levels- a) you hardly ever hear of people being prescribed cypro so it would be interesting to know why the onco chose that one over the more popular ones (does he have shares in the company????) and b) yes I agree that if you can't have alcohol for 3 years that should have been discussed beforehand. If all the men on here on bicalutimide, prostap or zoladex couldn't drink alcohol, Carlsberg and the major wine houses of France would all be bankrupt!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 17:44

LOL Lyn Eyre
You know my feelings and many other’s on here. Three years no alcohol —- with this disease ??? That will be a no ......
I’m facing it head on , with a glass in my hand , until my body says no xx

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 23:30

Visit a trusted site macmillan.org.uk for accurate info. Cutting down on alcohol might reduce hot flushes - it didn't for me :-)

Ray

User
Posted 20 Jan 2018 at 00:17

Agreed that men should be warned before they start taking tablets of any things that should be avoided. However, on a secondary point, are you sure you will be on Cyproterone Acetate long term? You say you are on a course and this is sometimes given for about 3 weeks as a precursor to something else (Zoladex in my case). You could check whether this is the intention in your case.

Barry
User
Posted 20 Jan 2018 at 11:19

rich ,i was on cyproterone 2wks before starting zoladex,surprised to be on it long term.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 22:38
My husband is in the exact same position - he has also just been prescribed 3 weeks worth of cyproterone acetate in the same dosage as you - it was the surgeons second choice of drug as the hospital is having stock issues with his first choice bicalutamide. We were not told of any alcohol related issues either ! My husband even suggested he should stop drinking whilst having treatment and the surgeon said to him why would you put yourself under stress when you’re about to go through a very stressful time ?!! He is having the first monthly hormone injection this week. I shall follow this with interest - good luck with all your treatment
User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 08:08
A few years ago, in fact ten years ago when having an appointment with his urologist , my husband was not at all happy with his manner he was arrogant and dismissive of any questions my husband asked him. After the consultation my husband did a bit of asking around and he requested a different consultant for his next consultation. The contrast was immense and very much successful so if you don’t have faith in your assigned consultant then I suggest that you request a different one you are entitled to switch via the N H S. It’s so important that you have every confidence in your consult, it’s a team effort.

Good luck