I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

First chemo session completed

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 16:54
So my husband had his first chemo session today. At the moment apart from being tired which I expected he's feeling ok.

Had one piece of amazing news his PSA which was 627 before hormones is now down to 5.

How long after chemo has anyone started to get any side effects? I know it's individual but curious as he's talking about going back to work Monday and I'm just a bit concerned about it

Gill

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 22:05
I had few major side effects on chemo 3 years ago.

Main ones were , my tongue went black for about 5 days, I had less energy, lost body hair by 50%, fingernails cracked easily, slight loss of sensation in finger tips and toes, taste buds lost subtle flavour taste. I did have a low blood count after the first infusion so had to have self administered injections that I reacted badly to.

So the good news, apart from body hair, all is as it was now, cancer in lymphs shrunk back to normal size. I ran two marathons on week 13 and 15 of chemo. My PSA is 0.11 down from 342 with the help of abiraterone started 2 years ago. I still run ultra marathons.

My only advice is that if hubby feels tired then rest otherwise live life to the full.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 23:00

My father in law didn’t really have any side effects apart from losing all his hair.

Did anyone tell you about freezing chunks of fresh pineapple for him to suck during infusions? Reduces the mouth soreness and prevents some of the terrible metallic taste that chemo seems to cause for many people

Edited by member 19 Jan 2018 at 23:01  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 13:31

Hi Gill,

I had chemo 2 years ago (wow that long, doesn't feel it) and luckily didn't have many side affects. I was 50 yo at the time and thought I was reasonably fit and healthy. My main visible SE was loss of body hair (not on head as I used a cold cap) about session 3. Around that time the fatigue starts to kick in and you really have to go with the flow and rest up. I worked through chemo but took Fridays off which really worked. I have a great bunch of colleagues who looked after things when away but generally l if felt like I was having a day off as I caught up with household chores or met friends but most importantly it was relaxing.

What type of work does your OH do? I had my chemo on a Friday which gave me 3 days off. In my work there is a fair bit of car travel and up and down ladders and office work. Not too physical but with the chemo you also have to have mental relaxation as well and sometimes the situation sudden hits you. I like my work but then you realise its not everything. I found just keeping active helped, I was never into that much exercise but enjoyed walking out with the dogs or with friends. Also the odd glass of red helped. When I was tired I would have a catnap for 5-10 mins and then I was up and at it again refreshed.

Hope it helps and good luck with the treatment.

Steven

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 21:58

Hi Gill,

I got through the whole lot (6 cycles, one every three weeks) reasonably unscathed. Fatigue was the main issue but I only suffered from that every now and then.I certainly knew about when it happened though! I had retired before I was diagnosed so having to work wasn’t an issue. I was able to keep active the majority of the time including running and cycling. I did find that I got tired more often from the 5th cycle on. I had, and still have a year on, some issues with fingernails and lack of feeling in fingertips. More annoying than anything else.

Good luck

Dave

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 19:38
First session doesn't seem to have caused any major side effects so far. He's been tired as expected and had a lot of indigestion but that's all so fingers crossed it stays that way

Gill

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 20:14

Hi Gill
I’m sorry I can’t answer your question as my husband starts his chemo next week but I wanted to wish you well and to say WOW, what a result. If we get even a fraction of that drop in psa we’ll be pleased.
Hope the next few days go well for your husband. Hopefully we will be able to support each other very soon.
SusieW x

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 21:19

Hi Gill ,great news ,my husband finished chemo 18 months ago and was fortunate enough to have very few side effects ,mainly fatigue but not enough to stop him from working ,he'd go to work before his infusion and then the next day ! But beware this is not for everyone and he has to listen to his body and take care .As for PSA drop Gary's started at 23 and after the 3rd or 4th it became undetectable and has stayed there for 18 months ,he has been on the stampede trial since and the main side effects are still fatigue ,but still working full time and enjoying holidays and life .
We are well aware this could change anytime so try to stay positive and live life .
Best wishes
Debby

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 21:58

Hi Gill,

I got through the whole lot (6 cycles, one every three weeks) reasonably unscathed. Fatigue was the main issue but I only suffered from that every now and then.I certainly knew about when it happened though! I had retired before I was diagnosed so having to work wasn’t an issue. I was able to keep active the majority of the time including running and cycling. I did find that I got tired more often from the 5th cycle on. I had, and still have a year on, some issues with fingernails and lack of feeling in fingertips. More annoying than anything else.

Good luck

Dave

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 22:05
I had few major side effects on chemo 3 years ago.

Main ones were , my tongue went black for about 5 days, I had less energy, lost body hair by 50%, fingernails cracked easily, slight loss of sensation in finger tips and toes, taste buds lost subtle flavour taste. I did have a low blood count after the first infusion so had to have self administered injections that I reacted badly to.

So the good news, apart from body hair, all is as it was now, cancer in lymphs shrunk back to normal size. I ran two marathons on week 13 and 15 of chemo. My PSA is 0.11 down from 342 with the help of abiraterone started 2 years ago. I still run ultra marathons.

My only advice is that if hubby feels tired then rest otherwise live life to the full.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 23:00

My father in law didn’t really have any side effects apart from losing all his hair.

Did anyone tell you about freezing chunks of fresh pineapple for him to suck during infusions? Reduces the mouth soreness and prevents some of the terrible metallic taste that chemo seems to cause for many people

Edited by member 19 Jan 2018 at 23:01  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Jan 2018 at 17:40

I forgot about the metallic taste Lyn. That was pretty horrible - taste just started to return to normal then it was time for the next session! I froze pulped fresh pineapple which helped but didn’t get rid of it. Pretty much all body hair went but head and beard only thinned - and went pure white!

User
Posted 20 Jan 2018 at 18:53

My step-father-in-law (not Stan) lost all his head hair. When it grew back, it was jet black and curly ... an unexpected bonus 😄

User
Posted 20 Jan 2018 at 23:10

My hair has returned to it’s previous grey but my bald patch has disappeared! 😀

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 13:31

Hi Gill,

I had chemo 2 years ago (wow that long, doesn't feel it) and luckily didn't have many side affects. I was 50 yo at the time and thought I was reasonably fit and healthy. My main visible SE was loss of body hair (not on head as I used a cold cap) about session 3. Around that time the fatigue starts to kick in and you really have to go with the flow and rest up. I worked through chemo but took Fridays off which really worked. I have a great bunch of colleagues who looked after things when away but generally l if felt like I was having a day off as I caught up with household chores or met friends but most importantly it was relaxing.

What type of work does your OH do? I had my chemo on a Friday which gave me 3 days off. In my work there is a fair bit of car travel and up and down ladders and office work. Not too physical but with the chemo you also have to have mental relaxation as well and sometimes the situation sudden hits you. I like my work but then you realise its not everything. I found just keeping active helped, I was never into that much exercise but enjoyed walking out with the dogs or with friends. Also the odd glass of red helped. When I was tired I would have a catnap for 5-10 mins and then I was up and at it again refreshed.

Hope it helps and good luck with the treatment.

Steven

User
Posted 23 Jan 2018 at 19:38
First session doesn't seem to have caused any major side effects so far. He's been tired as expected and had a lot of indigestion but that's all so fingers crossed it stays that way

Gill