I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Celebrate or not?

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 20:57
Hi, my husband is 48,noticed change in urine flow so doc suggested psa test . Psa 8.7 and just been fast tracked for mri and biopsy. Results today, all clear. Phew!

However, consultant said prostate 30cc so not enlarged. Wants rpt psa in 3 months and flow test. Should we be celebrating or worried!

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 22:48

Neither - be cautiously optimistic. Hopefully the PSA will be lower when repeated and they will conclude that it was a bit of undiagnosed infection (prostatitis is notoriously difficult to diagnose, as are some deep-seated UTIs) but even if you get the all clear in 3 months you are now aware of his raised PSA and will get your husband onto the grinding stone of regular monitoring.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 17:47

Good sense from Lyn as usual. I'd just add the importance of not agitating your prostate for a couple of days before your next PSA test. A brief period of celibacy and no bike riding, for example. That way you'll get a true reading.

AC

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 19:18

Celebrate for two reasons - no cancer found and you have a consultant who is not taking risks.

Ray

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 22:48

Neither - be cautiously optimistic. Hopefully the PSA will be lower when repeated and they will conclude that it was a bit of undiagnosed infection (prostatitis is notoriously difficult to diagnose, as are some deep-seated UTIs) but even if you get the all clear in 3 months you are now aware of his raised PSA and will get your husband onto the grinding stone of regular monitoring.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 17:47

Good sense from Lyn as usual. I'd just add the importance of not agitating your prostate for a couple of days before your next PSA test. A brief period of celibacy and no bike riding, for example. That way you'll get a true reading.

AC

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 19:18

Celebrate for two reasons - no cancer found and you have a consultant who is not taking risks.

Ray

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 21:45
Thanks guys.

Consultant mentioned another type of biopsy if the next psa is high.

Surely the mri would have picked up any cancer ?

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 22:30

Not necessarily - my husband's scan was clear even though he had a positive biopsy. When they operated they found it was in every bit of his prostate and had spread to his bladder. No-one has been able to explain why it didn't show on the scan - perhaps there are some types of prostate cancer that just don't show up. Also, the tumour has to be big enough to show - millions & millions of cancer cells clustering together. If the cells are scattered maybe there is nothing to see? A template biopsy is more precise than the TRUS biopsy he has already had.