I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Nearly 2 years on and regular PSA tests

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 12:29

Hi everyone, I have been a regular viewer of the on line community on the Prostate Cancer UK web site and have found it invaluable in helping me deal with the issues surrounding men who have been diagnosed.  I have only joined now after nearly 2 years of reading about everyone else. I read about people who are a lot worse off than me at this stage and I am amazed at their bravery and resilience. I was diagnosed in May 2016 after a routine company medical.  My father was diagnosed with PC in his sixties, but I am nearly 54..... I was advised to go for a MRI scan and then biopsies and they told me that I had small tumours contained within the prostate.  I have since had another set of biopsies more recently taken in May 17 and the report from Histopathology came back indicating 5 positive cores , distributed in both left and right sides of the prostate. My Gleason score is 3+3=6 ,Grade group 1. This hasn't changed from my first set of results. I was put on active surveillance and get blood tests every 3 months to monitor PSA levels. I write this a few days before I go for my next set of bloods to be taken and each time I go to get the results everything goes through your mind , and I regularly think the worst. I have become used to not getting a full nights sleep because of the continual running to the toilet , and I have to be careful what  and how much I drink when I am out and about. Spending a lot of time in a car , which my job entails can have its problems ! I try to keep fit , with running and have completed several marathons, and was told by my doctor to keep as fit as long as I can.  Thats really a summary of what has happened  to my health over nearly 2 years , and I often think what is around the corner. What  it is has done however is realign some priorities in my life and although difficult at times I try to enjoy every day as much as I can.

Keithyboy

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 18:13

Hello Keith and a belated welcome to the site.

I do understand the anxiety aspect of waiting for the results of the regular PSA whilst on AS and I'm certainly not going to suggest that you stop worrying about it, who could.

With your scores though and the fact that you are regularly checked, i would have thought that even if the PSA does go up, it will be noticed at such an early stage that you should still have a range of options open to you, even if AS is no longer one of thm.

Good luck with tomorrow's blood test and for the subsequent result

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 18:13

Keithyboy, there are those who would say that you don't really suffer from PCa, it is at such an early stage. But what you probably have is an enlarged prostate which is causing the frequent peeing. Don't do what most men do and accept it. Get some treatment! You should be more comfortable than what you report. I'd advise a Urology appointment, rather than relying on your GP.

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 16:33
Thanks for the reply Johsan, have an appointment with my Urologist in March and will get an update on what he recommends. However if PSA results go up next week , he will see me before then. It's amazing how you have to organise your life around making sure there is a toilet near you when you are out and about !!!

Thanks again

Keithyboy

User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 16:43
Hi AC , having read your profile , I am at a very early stage ,and have had nothing to endure like yourself , so this has been with you for a lot longer than me, so full marks for enduring with this for so long. I have a Urologist looking after me and will see him next month and hopefully recommend some form of treatment to curb the running to the loo , as I commute a long distance to work ,and find it difficult to time the journey with regards to toilet matters, if you know what I mean !!

Anyway thanks for your replyAC and advice , it's a therapy in itself just sharing the stories.

Best wishes

Keithyboy

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 22:22
Hi everyone, latest MRI scan this Friday evening, so I will wait and see what the outcome of this is and will take it from there. My Urologist has prescribed Mirabegron to take daily to stop the running to the loo as much , as this is still a major problem, not sure if anyone else knows much about this drug , but only started it , and it takes about 8 weeks to kick in. Anyway after this Friday there maybe decisions to be taken on a way forward ,as AS after two years and fluctuating PSA results creates a situation of fear and anxiety every time you wait for results..... It's there And it has to be dealt with!

best wishes to all.

Keithyboy