I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Private or NHS for RT?

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 15:59

I've just had my first HT injection of Prostap tolast for 4 weeks when I will move up to 12 weekly injection dosages. The injection was in my shoulder, recommended by the nurse and I didn't feel a thing. I have been on Cyproterone Acetate tablets for a week and I am to finish these after 4 weeks total. My last quoted Staging/Gleason was not quite correct - it is T3b possibly N1 M0 Gleason 9 (4/5 not 5/4). I'm to begin the radiotherapy 3 months from start of HT. The treatment plan was shown to me at my local health centre where I am getting the injections. Why do they have more information than me, why wasn't I copied on that letter? I am considering moving from private to NHS because of things like this and not having a specialized nurse. The The RT consultant I have has a great reputation - would changing to NHS make any difference to the timing of the treatment, the person who would administer the treatment or any other relevant considerations?

Richard

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:52

Hi Rich,
I don't think there is an easy answer - you could ask the RT consultant whether you would stay on his/her books if you transferred to NHS care. I certainly wouldn't have wanted John to have to change consultant when the RT planning was already in place.

Having experienced the problem of lack of aftercare with the RP done privately, and all the pushing & shoving over who was responsible for writing prescriptions, access to the ED nurse etc etc, once it became clear that salvage HT/RT was needed we opted for NHS RT but continued to pay for private appointments with the consultant. It was a good balance.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 18:05

We are all NHS.

Original diagnosis under local hospital but once AS had to come to an end a year later we were recommended by the local hospital to go to Barts for the Brachytherapy treatment as that wasn't available locally.

Barts likes John to have regular PSA tests. GP surgery thinks they should be done via Barts and resent the fact that the PSA comes out of GP budget.

All NHS though!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 19:13

Johsan, not that simple. GPs in general are in the private sector but work to NHS rules. So if they order the PSA Tests, they pay for them. I've never in 10 years plus years had a GP arranged PSA test. It has always been at the behest of a Urologist or Oncologist, so the NHS proper has always paid.

AC

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 20:40
I think it depends to some extent where you live. I've been very well looked after by the NHS - they are paying for my PSMA scan, but strangely wouldn't pay £200 for my pump!

Ulsterman

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 23:20

If the RT you are being offered is on the Varian Truebeam linac this is one of the most advanced machines providing IMRT with photons. As with any treatment the set up and expertise in administering is crucial.

Barry
User
Posted 31 Jan 2018 at 12:50
Rich

I am also with AXA PPP and took advantage of the cash benefit offered by staying with the NHS for my RT treatment.

Thanks Chris