I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

cancer survival

User
Posted 31 Jan 2018 at 11:54

hi,been reading in the daily mail largest studyof cancer survival ever conducted,uk bottom of global league table for cancers,british survival rates are way behind those in europe and the usa,we are also left trailing the likes of jordan, puerto rico,algeria and ecuador.

User
Posted 31 Jan 2018 at 19:45

I don't understand why it should be like this

I do read the Mail (well Saturday's version anyway) and I know people always pan it as a scaremonger paper but you only have to watch the news to realise that we lag behind other countries in terms of equipment and knowledge.

It would be political to comment on governments and I don't "do" politics but I just don't see where the necessary changes will come from

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 31 Jan 2018 at 20:14

Not quite at the bottom but lagging well behind many countries for survival rates for most cancers. Here is link to the DM article :- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5332489/Cancer-shame-UK-survival-rates-lag-rest-world.html

Barry
User
Posted 01 Feb 2018 at 09:58

The news reports the inexorable decline of the NHS (I won't get into reasons here!), but they tend to concentrate on the day-to-day crisis. The lack of investment in new equipment and technology is equally serious, but rarely gets a mention.

I won't read the DM article (sorry!) but I bet they don't go into the obvious reasons, either! ;-)

User
Posted 01 Feb 2018 at 23:40

Andrew

You are right that the article did not go into reasons why the NHS performs so poorly in respect of cancer survival rates or spell out in detail what the Government proposes to do about it. But as much as we would be interested in learning answers to this, the article was specifically about where we were in a league table compared to over 60 countries in respect of various large scale (rather than rarer) cancers. Many of the readers subsequent comments did express opinions on why this was so and propounded ideas on why we were largely well down the league table and what could be done about it; some made sense others less so depending how you view it.

Barry
User
Posted 02 Feb 2018 at 07:46

Breaking news today is that Prostate Cancer mortality rates have overtaken breast cancer mortality rates for the first time ever.........

Edited by member 02 Feb 2018 at 07:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Feb 2018 at 09:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Andrew

You are right that the article did not go into reasons why the NHS performs so poorly in respect of cancer survival rates or spell out in detail what the Government proposes to do about it. But as much as we would be interested in learning answers to this, the article was specifically about where we were in a league table compared to over 60 countries in respect of various large scale (rather than rarer) cancers. Many of the readers subsequent comments did express opinions on why this was so and propounded ideas on why we were largely well down the league table and what could be done about it; some made sense others less so depending how you view it.

I also avoid the DM, and read this elsewhere. I have since looked at several sources and most reference this article https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/blog/2016/01/how-does-nhs-spending-compare-health-spending-internationally.

It seems the DM conveniently missed this

ARR