I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Open prostatectomy

User
Posted 03 Feb 2018 at 15:22
Had a trans rectal biopsies in Oct 2016 of the 12 cores 1 came back Gleason score 6. Been on active surveillance until Dec 2017 had transperineal biopsies taken 32 in total. 9 cores Gleason score 6 , and 2 Gleason score,7. I refused radiotherapy and consultant wants to do open prostatectomy. Very unsure of the operation. Any experiences from members greatly appreciated
User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 00:28

Hi Paulimar, my husband had open RP - has your urologist explained why he is recommending open rather than keyhole? Do you have other health issues or anything like previous abdominal surgery?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 13:38
Hello,

The first surgeon I saw only performed open surgery. When I asked him about key hole he referred me to a colleague who eventually did my operation. My reason for preferring keyhole was a) recovery time and b) smaller scars ( 3 years on I have too look hard to find them but I am a bit hairy). I would imagine in some cases open may be the only option but if it is only that your surgeon isn't skilled to do it then I would ask if keyhole is an option.

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 14:01

That's not strictly accurate Paul A. Research data published over recent years (including a large scale piece of research published in 2017 and reported widely in the press) shows that:
- open RP has slightly better outcomes in terms of 5 year and 10 year recurrence
- open is slightly less likely to lead to adjuvant or salvage RT
- open RP is slightly less likely to result in positive margins
- open RP is slightly less likely to leave a man impotent or with permanent ED
- open usually needs less time under general anaesthetic
- keyhole is less likely to end up with blood transfusion
- keyhole needs less time in hospital
- keyhole can mean being able to return to work quicker
- hospitals that have invested in Da Vinci machines need to use them to justify the cost of the machine + training for all the surgeons.

The debate between the two methods comes down in the end to medical outcomes v speed of recovery and economics. Given the choice of all methods, each man needs to decide what is most important to him - to be in hospital for only a couple of days and back to work quickly OR to have the best chance of a successful outcome. The ideal would be for each man to understand the possible impact of all RP methods and then make an informed choice between them; the problem increasingly is that men are only being offered robotic or keyhole and are misled into believing that it is 'the best'.

In addition, there are some men who cannot have keyhole due to heart problems, higher than average risk factors for general anaesthetic, scarring from previous abdominal surgery or other reasons. In my husband's case, the surgeon (one of the so-called 'gold tops' for Da Vinci) advised that because of suspect lymphs, existing scars and the position of the gland, he felt open would give him the best chance of a) getting it all and b) preserving some nerve bundles. Put that way, the inconvenience of being off work for 12 weeks seemed rather a minor issue.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 18:39
Hi

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5114551/Robot-surgery-save-men-prostate-cancer.html

I was amazed when I read this article, UCLH claim to be doing Da vinci prostate surgery in 90 minutes, mind you the same article seems to say conventional surgery requires 18 days in hospitial. My surgeon has reduced his time to two and a half hours.

Many hospitials no longer offer open surgery. My Robotic surgery has left me with a few issues.

Best wishes for your journey.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 04 Feb 2018 at 22:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 22:42
Thanks Lyn for that information which I am sure will be useful in his decision making however I am struggling to see which part of my original post does not concur?
THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE