I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Alcohol and salvage radiotherapy?

User
Posted 08 Feb 2018 at 19:17
Stated the SRT yesterday, just wondering how people who have had this fared with cystitis

I planned to totally leave out alcohol/tea/coffee caffeine drinks etc for the entire duration as I was a bit apprehensive about the bladder fullness for RT and didn’t think diuretics was a good idea

However the procedure of getting there at 8am, enema then 3 cups of water is actually very straightforward so I’m now wondering it it’s ok to have a few glasses of wine or maybe a few beers at weekends? (Sat/Sun) but if it’s I’ll advised then I’ll leave it out

(Red wine does make life a bit less stressful )
User
Posted 08 Feb 2018 at 22:20

John was given an instruction sheet by the RT team dietitian - it stated absolutely no alcohol, caffeine or fizzy drinks for the duration of the RT. It isn't just about the effect on your bladder - the fizzy drinks / beer issue is about causing gas in the bowel. But ask your own team tomorrow?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 08 Feb 2018 at 22:56

The medical profession say absolutely no alcohol for every condition / procedure. If you want a drink then have one. If it affects you then stop. Use your own judgement and weigh up the odds of extra misery being Tea total. They say to keep hydrated and wee a lot. Well beer is like 90% water and it makes you wee a lot. It’s a no-brainer. Lyn will tell me off now ;-))

User
Posted 08 Feb 2018 at 23:37

I asked my RT team the same question about a few beers and they said in moderation it wouldn’t be an issue. They were right

Enjoy 🍺🍺

Bri

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 02:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

The medical profession say absolutely no alcohol for every condition / procedure. If you want a drink then have one. If it affects you then stop. Use your own judgement and weigh up the odds of extra misery being Tea total. They say to keep hydrated and wee a lot. Well beer is like 90% water and it makes you wee a lot. It’s a no-brainer. Lyn will tell me off now ;-))

What am I going to do with you - you are incorrigible :-( 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 09:08

I can't think of a single reason for you not to have a glass of red wine or two, preferably early evening.

Though a beer drinker myself, I would avoid beer for the duration for the excellent reasons cited above.

Zero alcohol is a bit of a medical fetish.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 09:24
Although my husband didn’t have the enema before he was required to have a full bladder. But he didn’t change his habit of copious cups of tea and the odd glass of red wine. He coped well
User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 11:32

We are told to give up Booze,Sex and Smoking,to be healthy.YOU don't live longer it just seems like it.I don't smoke but do drink, and as for sex I wish.

Good luck John.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 13:15
I treated myself to one glass of red wine on a Friday and Saturday evenings during radiotherapy.
It was great reach the Friday and chill a bit.

Ido4

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Feb 2018 at 22:20

John was given an instruction sheet by the RT team dietitian - it stated absolutely no alcohol, caffeine or fizzy drinks for the duration of the RT. It isn't just about the effect on your bladder - the fizzy drinks / beer issue is about causing gas in the bowel. But ask your own team tomorrow?

User
Posted 08 Feb 2018 at 22:56

User
Posted 08 Feb 2018 at 23:37

I asked my RT team the same question about a few beers and they said in moderation it wouldn’t be an issue. They were right

Enjoy 🍺🍺

Bri

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 02:46

What am I going to do with you - you are incorrigible :-( 

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 09:08

I can't think of a single reason for you not to have a glass of red wine or two, preferably early evening.

Though a beer drinker myself, I would avoid beer for the duration for the excellent reasons cited above.

Zero alcohol is a bit of a medical fetish.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 09:24
Although my husband didn’t have the enema before he was required to have a full bladder. But he didn’t change his habit of copious cups of tea and the odd glass of red wine. He coped well
User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 10:27
The advice is “be sensible and in low moderation”

Which is fine by me. I’ll avoid beer though as the volume affects bladder more than wine - and I will probably only have a few glasses early evening on Friday/Saturdays

However any hint of cystitis then I’m happy to just do without altogether

(Just picked up a bottle of red for the Bolognese and after tonight 🍷)
User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 11:32

We are told to give up Booze,Sex and Smoking,to be healthy.YOU don't live longer it just seems like it.I don't smoke but do drink, and as for sex I wish.

Good luck John.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 13:15
I treated myself to one glass of red wine on a Friday and Saturday evenings during radiotherapy.

Ido4

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 15:58

That’s the spirit !!

👍
User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 16:38

This photo is of Ido finishing his one glass of wine last Friday night

http://mycdn-285a.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/huge-glass-of-wine-730x298.jpg

Edited by member 09 Feb 2018 at 16:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 17:02
That’s Brilliant Lyn!
I didn’t say what size rage glass was.🍸

Ido4

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 17:07
What size the glass was. Not rage! Predictive changing words after you’ve read through a post is a nightmare.
I’m not on the wine yet by the way.

Ido4