Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anyone had a similar situation?

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 12:49
Hi all,

Yesterday, Hubby aged 51 was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer which has spread to his bones. His PSA is around 42. The consultant has said the only treatment he can receive is hormone treatment to slow down the growth of cancer.

We are all in shock at the moment and I wondered if anyone has either been in a similar situation or has had a family member dealing with this so we know what to expect in terms of life expectancy and anything else we might need to know.

Thank you x

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 16:54

Assuming you are in England, ask for a referral to an oncologist or if the consultant you saw yesterday was an oncologist then ask for a second opinion. Modern approach to a diagnosis like your husband's is now to hit it hard with chemo soon after diagnosis (unless there is a medical reason not to have chemo?) - the research is showing that chemo can make the hormone treatment much more effective for a much longer time.

As for life expectancy - it is hard to say. It will depend on whether you are under the care of a forward thinking oncologist or someone that is a bit behind the times, which type of prostate cancer he has been diagnosed with (there are at least 27 different kinds) and how responsive he is to the hormone treatment. Some men have an aggressive type and no treatment works for very long while others are still here years later - we have men on here that are still around and living an active life 10, 12, 14 years later.

Almost every member on here has been where you are now - it does get better once you have your head round all the information. There are details that will help us to help you , such as the full diagnosis (gleason score, staging (usually written as T3 N0M1 or something like that) and type (adenocarcinoma is the most common) plus which bones it has gone to.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard