I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontinence pads which to buy

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 19:26
Hi my partner had robotic radical prostectomy last Friday and we are back on Tuesday for the catheter removal I know we have to take pads with us but and will need them for a whole but I'm unsure which to buy and how many, would really appreciate any help xx
User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 20:08

Tight boxer shorts and babies nappies from Aldies 44 pads £4

User
Posted 10 Feb 2018 at 13:43

Had catheter removed and Nurse recommended Aldi new born nappies @99p for 24. Tried these and very absorbant even has a line that changes colour when needs to be replaced. I recommend.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 19:48

We tried a number of makes but like many members on here, John found the Tena for Men pads most comfortable and discreet - I think they are probably all as absorbent as each other so it comes down to personal preference. He found the Boots own brand ones more papery than cotton feel, which put him off. The NHS type ones from the local chemist were bulky and not very sticky so they moved. Make sure you buy men's pads rather than ladies or unisex - sometimes it is hard to spot on the wrapper which is which.

Also, have you got him pants or jockeys rather than boxers?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 19:56
Hi Jetterbug

I guess that we all had our own preferences and it also depends on how close you are to various shops.

I used either Boots or Tena out of choice but only because I found them to be more comfortable. Initially I bought a couple of boxes of high volume pads until I knew how bad things were once the catheter was removed. To be honest, for the first week I used incontinence pants at night as there were secure and comfortable and gave my wife and me a good laugh.

All the best,

Kevan

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 20:06

I used a supplier called ID-DIRECT.
They did a great cheap level 2 to 3 slip pad which was discrete and comfortable. I didn’t leak much or for very long luckily.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2018 at 20:08

User
Posted 10 Feb 2018 at 13:43

Had catheter removed and Nurse recommended Aldi new born nappies @99p for 24. Tried these and very absorbant even has a line that changes colour when needs to be replaced. I recommend.

User
Posted 28 May 2018 at 13:05
barry,i bought some of them newborn baby nappies rubbish ,i have started leaking,when i go out for a drink,later in the night i have been caught short a few times and then i have to go home embarassing.
User
Posted 28 May 2018 at 15:41

Rader

Try these I am badly incontinent have been for seven years

my shorts are Pringle

Barry

User
Posted 28 May 2018 at 20:24
i bought some newborn baby nappies how the hell do you put them on,they wont be much good when i have peed myself,anyone else have any tips.
User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 08:30

I buy age five, not babies they are open and you just fit them in
40 to a pack

40 to a pack not 44

Edited by member 29 May 2018 at 16:36  | Reason: 40 to a pack not 44

User
Posted 29 May 2018 at 10:34

I have been using tena men which I have found to be very good and I purchase them from Amazon prime some good deals on there lol  I have always been a boxer short person but they don't work that well with pads so now got a draw full of briefs lol

User
Posted 06 Jun 2018 at 10:30

For what it's worth, another vote for Tena Men (the medium pads). The main reason is that they have them on the shelves at the local Tesco, so I can buy a pack at a time hoping it might be the last!

Actually that psychology has been going on for two years with improvement rather slow. What seems to happen is that I am dry for the first half of the day and then leak towards the evening. Many days I find I could have managed with a much lighter pad, but occasionally I leak much more so I have to play safe. The amount of leak seems to depend on how much strain the sphincter has been under, and thus how tired it is later in the day. Thus leak is more if I have been using my abdominal muscles, perhaps digging the garden, or having a bad cough. Actually the most frequent reason is having held a full bladder at some point in the morning; while I can try to avoid that by going to the toilet before I feel totally full, I don't worry too much since I suspect it provides much better muscle-building exercise than the conscious pelvic floor exercises since it works on the actual urinary sphincter rather than the adjacent voluntary muscle of the pelvic floor.

You have to have a positive attitude and for me although incontinence is not something I would choose, one pad a day (very occasionally two) is manageable. There is a report of improvements continuing for up to 4 years after prostatectomy (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26293181) so I can still dream of getting down to just the very light "protective shield" pads.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 06:19
I am a newbie to the incontinence thing, having only had my catheter removed yesterday, but I was recommended the Tena for men, Level 2 pads, work with a jockey type underpant and they seem to do a fine job.
User
Posted 04 Oct 2018 at 14:46
I bought a single pack of 14 Tena Lights following my prostatectomy, and thanks to a brilliant surgeon, I have four or five left, four months later!
User
Posted 07 Oct 2018 at 16:20

Following radical prostatectomy last week which went really well, I am now catheter free which is great . I have immediate control back during the day - brilliant, and use Tena grade 2 for peace of mind but at night leak, albeit only 150 mls, even though I wake to go to the loo as well. I wear the tena grade 3 at night which work well. Any one else leak at night or stopped? Is it retraining of the bladder to hold capacity issue or the fact that whilst the catheter was in my brain would switch off from normal reflexes at night. Any experience or thoughts anyone please?