Show search

Notification

Error

FAO Lynere

User
Posted 19 Feb 2018 at 10:21

Hi Lyn,

I just wanted to pick up on something you said in a recent post reply

You said that John stopped HT early as he hated the side effects?

How long was he supposed to be on it and how long did he actually stay on it before s it?

I’m considering the same thing as I’m mightily fed up of the HT

Bill

User
Posted 19 Feb 2018 at 15:34

Hi Bill, I can’t quite remember now but I think the proposal was 9 or 12 months. He started in the May and stopped in the November - I think he would have stopped even earlier and had to be persuaded to stick with it till November. He was still playing rugby at the time, and in the gym 5 days a week so it was all about machismo and feeling able to compete. Do keep in mind though that the research suggests he has reduced his chance of full remission - the longer you stick with the hormones the better the outcome.

A new bit of research on women recovering from breast cancer has shown that when they stop taking the hormones (currently 5 years is the norm for women) their risk of the disease coming back goes right back as if they had never taken the hormones at all so new advice is to take them for 10 years or even forever. When I was reading the report, I wondered how long it will be before we start seeing the same advice for men recovering from PCa.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard