I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What to do next ? .. what to expect ?

User
Posted 20 Feb 2018 at 12:18
I had a routine blood test and was told I had a PSA of 6.5. Originally the doctor after the internal exam which they said was normal , referred me for an ultra sound scan. However they have come back and changed to a MRI scan booked for this Thursday. All happened so quickly and unsure how to make sense of all the differing reviews I have read on the web. It sadly seems to affect so many and there is very little guidance .. not sure why I have joined but helps seeing that many of you have had the strength to come through this. Have not talked about this to friends or family as I haven’t wanted to raise concern. Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has been through this stage.

Many thanks

User
Posted 20 Feb 2018 at 16:01

It's a hard time waiting for the results. We have all been through it. Looks like you are having the standard tests and scans, I note that you don't mention a biopsy, a biopsy is almost routine so I expect you will have one when the other results are known, if you are not offered one I would suggest that you ask.

You might find talking to family and friends about things will make things a lot easier, it did for me. A PSA of 6.5 is not so very bad, mine was 8.8 and others are much higher.

Questions are answered here quickly and very well so if you have any ask away.

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 20 Feb 2018 at 16:16
Hiya SiB,

Good advice from John. Please don't let your worry run away with you as can happen to us all,and is easier said than done, I know. I'm the type that keeps things in and avoids telling close family for the same reasons as you mentioned,but you will know when, and if the time is right. It does help to share your thoughts sometimes. All the best for a good outcome.Take care.

Paul.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2018 at 16:29

SiB, My PSA was 6.3 in November 2016. Aged 52. So a similar situation. The difference is mine had risen slowly over about nine years. I had no symptoms. I was booked for a MRI Scan and Biopsy. The Scan showed something and was used to help the Radiologist to target the Biopsy. The Biopsy was already arranged regardless of the scan result. The Biopsy was positive, gleeson 3+4 and I had a Robotic Prostatectomy in January 2017. As your PSA test was a one off and you have no history, it could be blip due to a prostate condition other than Pca but I'd be surprised if your not offered a biopsy.

Good luck

Bill

User
Posted 20 Feb 2018 at 17:25

Hello SiB amd welcome

Good advice above.

when you had the routine PSA test was this done by the GP and it was the GP who did the internal (Digital rectal exam)?

Were you tested for infection?

Did you do any cycle riding or have intercourse just before the PSA test as both of these can cause a raised result.

Anyway, whatever the reason for the raised PSA, you are being dealt with very quickly so whatever the result you are ahead.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 13:29

HI SIB,

It is a shock when you are told your PSA is high and a need for further investigating.In my case the procedures seemed to follow one another over two to three weeks until i got the full details and Gleason scores and how many cores taken where positive.I found the expertise and professional approach of all the oncology team,specilists and McMillan Nurses was a great help to me and my wife that i took to all examinations and meetings because i think my Wife needed to know all of the results without me watering them down for her.Once you get the full picture and choice of treatment i am sure members on here will be keen to offer you advice like they did for me when i first started the Journey.

It is difficult to discuss PC with other members of your family but most of them would prefer to know how you are getting along with your treatment.

If you click on my Avatar it will show you my treatment to date.

Good luck John.