I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemo every 3 weeks?

User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 20:21

My husband was diagnosed with advanced metastatic cancer with a PSA reading of 2862 at the end of November last year. The spinal compression caused severe mobility issues within 2 days.  After emergency surgery to move the tumour away from his spine he has had hormone therapy and 5 days of radiotherapy and intensive physiotherapy to regain some mobility and is making good progress and can now walk with sticks and around the house with just 1 or a few steps on his own.

He is due to start chemo once every 3 weeks. is there anyone out there with a similar experience. My husband does not wish to know his prognosis though accepts that his condition is incurable.  

User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 17:44
Hi,

I was diagnosed with stage 4 pca with bone mets in April 2017 with a PSA OF 4000. I am on permanent 3 monthly injections of decapeptyl and have just finished 10 cycles of chemo.( docetaxel). My PSA is currently 0.87. Finished chemo 19th February.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 09:23

Hello Maryann

Sorry don't have the experience you need so bumping you in the hope that somebody else will see your post

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Mar 2018 at 23:25

Hi, Chemo every three weeks is normal, with a normal blood test just before each dose to make sure his body is fit enough for the next dose.

It’s also normal to feel grotty the first week too.

Hope it goes well.

Chris.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 16:54

Maryann, do let us know how your husband progresses with the chemo. He will have a revised PSA score with every three weekly blood test. Hopefully, you will see big reductions to raise his spirits and yours.

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 17:16
Hello Maryann my Dad has advanced PC with spread to bones and has just started 10x chemotherapy sessions. He has been very tired but he was in hospital a week before the chemo so he’s still recovering from that which has no doubt contributed. He has been resting on the settee and having a snooze after lunch but today (seven days on from the chemo) he has managed to do a little more. He did take some homemade pineapple lollies to suck when he had the chemo which was recommended by people on this forum. If there is anything in particular you’d like to ask me I’d be happy to help if I can. PenP x
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 09:23

Hello Maryann

Sorry don't have the experience you need so bumping you in the hope that somebody else will see your post

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 17:44
Hi,

I was diagnosed with stage 4 pca with bone mets in April 2017 with a PSA OF 4000. I am on permanent 3 monthly injections of decapeptyl and have just finished 10 cycles of chemo.( docetaxel). My PSA is currently 0.87. Finished chemo 19th February.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2018 at 23:25

Hi, Chemo every three weeks is normal, with a normal blood test just before each dose to make sure his body is fit enough for the next dose.

It’s also normal to feel grotty the first week too.

Hope it goes well.

Chris.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 16:54

Maryann, do let us know how your husband progresses with the chemo. He will have a revised PSA score with every three weekly blood test. Hopefully, you will see big reductions to raise his spirits and yours.

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 17:16
Hello Maryann my Dad has advanced PC with spread to bones and has just started 10x chemotherapy sessions. He has been very tired but he was in hospital a week before the chemo so he’s still recovering from that which has no doubt contributed. He has been resting on the settee and having a snooze after lunch but today (seven days on from the chemo) he has managed to do a little more. He did take some homemade pineapple lollies to suck when he had the chemo which was recommended by people on this forum. If there is anything in particular you’d like to ask me I’d be happy to help if I can. PenP x
User
Posted 01 May 2018 at 18:45

Hi,
I underwent 18 weeks of Docetaxel & Zoladex during March - June2017. My PSA immediately dropped from 7.9. To 0.01, and stayed at 0.01 for 8-9 months. Sadly, having come off the Zoladex injections in August 2017, my PSA bounced back to 7.9 (24/4/18).
That said, a subsequent PETscan showed my 3 lymph metastasis sites had actually shrunk, but my spinal (C2 disc) growth had grown. Further radiotherapy of latter now being considered followed by a return on to Zoladexfor in the foreseeable.
As to the pineapple theme:- I found FRESH good quality pineapple (* not tinned, not over- ripe pieces) the best. I lived on 3-4 daily portions for 8 -9 days following each of my 6 infusions, as this totally clensed my pallet, and gave me back a sense of taste ( * otherwise totally destroyed by the metallic taste left by the chemo).
I also now live with the joys of peripheral neuropathy in the feet and fingertips...deep joy, but arice I am willing to pay in this journey ahead.
Good luck with the treatment
Ian 😉