I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Normal procedure

User
Posted 05 Mar 2018 at 10:34
Hi, I’m new to this site. I hope someone may be able to give me some reassurance and guidance.

My brother has felt in well over the past 10 months with upper respiratory track irritation. I’m not sure whether this has any thing to do with his problem at the moment.

Last week he had a psa blood test by the go as he was visiting the toilet a lot. The result showed a raised psa level and the GP detected a nodule on his prostate.

Today he has had an appointment at the hospital. The registrar indicated that the blood level was high (?) and he could feel a hardness on the prostate.

He has to go back tomorrow for a biopsy.

I know that no one can give me an answer but I’m worried about him. I wasn’t with him when he had his appointment this morning so I’m wondering is all this normal procedure and dies it sound very sinister. I think we are prepared to have a cancer diagnoses but I’m hoping it can be managed.

Thank you

User
Posted 05 Mar 2018 at 11:03

Hello Karumba and welcome to the site

Whatever the outcome, your brother has been investigated very very quickly and that means that if anything is detected it will be dealt with speedily.

We would really need the PSA (blood) test results and any biopsy result ( he will be given something called a Gleason score) before we can really advise you/him

The fact that the PSA (?) was high and that there is a suspicious nodule and hardness does seem to indicate that he will probably require treatment.

The stage that he is at we cannot help with unless we have the PSA and Gleason.

This waiting around for results is always a hard bit because you are so helpless. I'm sure you will both feel much better once a plan is in place.

If his scores are low he may not even need treatment at this stage and if they are high enough to warrant it, there are many treatments available

Please come back when you have more information and I'm sure somebody will point you in the right direction.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Mar 2018 at 11:25

Thank you Sandra . I really appreciate your response. I can’t talk to my brother about it because he just gets irritated with me which I understand. I’m a very anxious person and I know this does not help him. Thanks again .

User
Posted 05 Mar 2018 at 13:38

If you are naturally anxious the current situation won't help but please try not to worry.

We have men on here who are incurable but have been living with Prostate Cancer for 10 years or more.

That's assuming, of course, that your brother does actually have PC.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Mar 2018 at 17:21

Again thank you. Your response has made such a difference.

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 16:30

Hi Sandra. Brother has had biopsies done now a 3 week wait for results as they have to be sent away.
We will just have to be patient.