I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Understanding your PSA result - PSA level

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 12:32
I was informed I had PCa in November, so I have lots of things still to take in. I first believed that the larger your PSA was, the worse your condition. I've since read of a someone who had to have his prostate and lymph glands removed because the cancer had spread already. His PSA reading was 5.

I've been told my cancer is on the outside of my prostate but nowhere else. My PSA reading was 25. So to me, the greater the reading, doesn't mean the greater the severity of the cancer. Am I right in thinking this?

Thanks Trev

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 16:33

Hello Trev and welcome

A reading of 25 is high and you already know it has spread outside the prostate and presumably you have been told that it isn't anywhere else?

Could you tell members your Gleason score if you have it because it helps people give informed information.

It's true what you say regarding low PSA and seriousness. If you look at Lyn Eyres profile you will see her husband had a low PSA and Gleason of 7 and he had the operation as well as lymph nodes removed.

A lot depends on the kind of cancer you have, it's aggressiveness. Whether you have the pussycat kind or the tiger.

What treatment options have been offered to you?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 16:42

Hi Trev,

Welcome to this forum but sorry it is because of a PCa diagnosis that you join us.

To answer what appears is a contradiction on PSA numbers. There are quite a number of types of PCa some of which show a low PSA but nevertheless the cancer has advanced whereas at the other extreme some types of PCa produce moderately high PSA figures where the cancer is still contained. PSA can also be raised for other reasons, so moderately raised PSA does not necessarily mean a man even has PCa but can, often considered along with other indications lead to tests scans that show cancer.

What I suggest you do is find out through your GP or hospital consultant, if you are unaware, the other details of your diagnosis, ie, Gleason score, staging and scan information and any additional information such as percentage of cancer found in cores and how many affected. If you post this under your bio we will have a better idea of your situation.

Meanwhile, I think you would find it very useful to obtain a copy of the 'Toolkit' from the publications department of this Charity. It will help you gain a better understanding of PCa and detail the main treatments, some or all of which may be open to you.

Barry
User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 16:58
Hi Trev,

I assume outside the prostate means it is through the wall but perhaps by feeling it and not effecting anywhere else.

From what I've read most diagnosis is about probability and stories on here bear that out. As your psa gets outside the majority levels the probability increases. Some people break the mould though and may have a very high psa and not have any cancer. Others may have very low and have it.

Presumably you've read below 4 is usually normal in your 60s. 4 to 10 is usually low risk. 10-20 medium risk, over 20 high risk of breaking out. This is usually read in conjunction with Gleason and Staging. Some people have 500 or more, 25 is fairly high but not conclusive.

Have you been offered treatment?

I'm only a patient and not qualified to advise.

Regards

Peter

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 19:32

Hi Zepfan, yes you are correct - PSA can indicate a problem but not how serious the problem is. The exception would be the very very high readings - highest PSA we have had on here was 13,000 and my husband's uro once had a patient with a PSA of 160,000 - obviously in both cases, a biopsy was unnecessary as it was clearly prostate cancer. At the other end of the spectrum, Si_ness was diagnosed with a PSA around 3 and bone mets all over his body, and my father-in-law died with a PSA of 1.2 and mets to soft organs. My husband's PSA was 3.1 and he had spread to his bladder.

We have also had members on here with PSA of 50 / 60 or more who apparently have no cancer (in some cases, just a very enlarged prostate) although I am sure their urologist keeps a close eye on them.

As stated already, what is much more important than your PSA (now that you have been diagnosed) is your staging and Gleason score. These indicate how progressed the cancer is and how distorted the actual cancer cells have become, which together indicate how aggressive / high risk your cancer is.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 21:13

Thank you all for the warm welcome, believe me its much appreciated.

Yes my cancer is on the outside of one half of my prostate. From memory my Gleason score was
4+3=7, I hope that helps

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 23:30

Hello again Trev,

I can't see that you have said that you had been offered any particular or a choice of treatment and would have thought from what you have said that by now you would have told about this. This is clearly going to be a major decision for you which can be made more difficult where a treatment choice is available to you.

Do let us know how things progress.

Barry
User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 00:02

Zepfan is on HT and his RT starts in April, Barry - it was posted on a different thread

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 05:39

Thanks Lyn, I am a week late with my HT, don't I know it, the trouble is I'm having my CT scan and tattoo done on Friday, I'm worried it could be postponed because I feel my prostate had enlarged a little, I'm going for a blood test today so will pop in and ask.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 05:45

Sorry Barry, I forgot to rewrite my information

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 09:15

Zephan, it isn't always easy for members to keep track of various threads.

It would be much easier for us if you updated your profile (the About me bit) because any member coming new to your posts just needs to look at your profile to see that you are already on HT and due to have RT.

We don't all read All threads so we might miss (as indeed I did until Lyn pointed it out) relevant information and therefore give advice

(Keeping your profile up to date also acts as your own aide de memoire and acts as a diary so you can keep dates and information straight in your own head. Well - it works for me anyway !)

Edited by member 07 Mar 2018 at 09:16  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 12:07

Will do Johsan, thanks

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 16:52

See you have now updated your bio with details of RT and scan. This is a helpful central reference and avoids those responding having to go back through thread(s) to extract a more comprehensive picture. It also provides a useful note of your histology for your own record, (Click on my avatar to see what I mean).

Barry