Notification

Error

PSA 6.5

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 22:37

Hi there 

I'm 51

Yesterday I got the results of my PSA test which is 6.5 

The GP then did a DRE and then said he was referring me to the Hospital for a scan and possible biopsy

The GP didn't comment on his DRE findings 

I've got hip pain and have had some unexplained weight loss which is unprecedented but not dramatic

I'm getting pretty scared just waiting for the appointment letter

Can anyone on here reassure me?

Cheers

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 00:07

There are so many possible explanations other than cancer - no point getting in a tizz at this point. The GP would have been letting you down if he hadn't referred you for further checks. Weight loss is not commonly associated with prostate cancer and it would be extremely rare to have mets in your hip with a PSA of 6.5 so hopefully all will be well and you just have a bit of infection or an enlarged but benign prostate.

What made you have the PSA test? Was it routine or have you been having some symptoms that caused you to book an appointment with a doctor?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 21:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

What made you have the PSA test? Was it routine or have you been having some symptoms that caused you to book an appointment with a doctor?

Thank you for your reassurance.

I have been going to my GP with my concerns ever since I started to feel as though something was going wrong with me last autumn.

I had a colonoscopy in January that ruled out colon cancer

I have been having urinary problems for years now but they have got worse in the past year also I have an older brother who was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer 9 years ago.

I was offered a PSA test by a GP after discussing my concerns with them.

On a lighter note:

A funny thing happened to me yesterday - I was at the opticians having a eye test.

At one point during the test the optician produced an instrument to look closely into my eyes to examine them for signs of disease.

As she positioned herself in front of me she directed my attention to the wall behind her upon which was projected a big black letter C.

She said "look at the big C"

I couldn't help but be amused and thought to myself - is this God's way of telling me something!

Edited by member 08 Mar 2018 at 10:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 13:54

What a shame your GP didn’t discuss his findings (feelings!) with you following your rectal examination.

I recently had a multi-parametric MRI scan at 3T resolution (the best), and a subsequent template biopsy confirming cancer.

Two friends with PCa both said: Don’t let them palm you off with a TRUS biopsy (through the bowel and not accurate) which I was offered there and then on the day I met the consultant after the MRI.

I declined and was told the NHS waiting list for template was six months. “I’ll wait”.

In the event it was three weeks!

If you have to have a scan and subsequent biopsy I suggest you ask for the same investigations that I had, and if not available at your local hospital, travel to somewhere that does offer them.

Best of luck for a positive outcome (negative result!).

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 16:20

Well I am sorry Bollinge but I don't think that is very good advice at all. You may have decided that you would prefer a template biopsy to a TRUS but that doesn't mean that it is better for everyone! And advice to travel elsewhere if the local hospital doesn't have mpMRI is rather OTT at this stage.

Lazarus, see what you are offered first - a TRUS biopsy before MRI scan is a bit like sticking pins in a cake and hoping to spear a cherry but if you are in an area where the scan is done first and the TRUS biopsy afterwards it is much more controlled as they can see where they want to take samples from. Many men (and doctors) would only consider a template biopsy if the scan and TRUS were both clear but PSA was still rising.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 22:33

The TRUS scan is much less involved for both the medical team and the patient. For the local 'Trust' it is much quicker and less expensive and mostly what men are offered (at least originally) within the NHS. The Transperineal template biopsy is less likely to result in an infection than the TRUS which passes through the rectum. Also, because the needles are inserted through a grid (template), there is a better chance of finding tumours that are quite small. Much could depend on what the prior scan showed if done first. I have had both of these types of scan and given the need again and choice, on balance would opt for the template due to greater accuracy and less risk of infection. Some men occasionally have two negative TRUS biopsies and then when it is still believed there is cancer have a template one.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 01:20

I would have thought that you would have been advised if you were to have a biopsy at this initial meeting but I am pretty certain it wouldn't be a transperineal one. The latter requires that you attend a pre op appointment where you are assessed for suitability for this and for anesthesia. It's possible that blood and urine samples could be taken and a DRE done as may be decided by the consultant or the hospital protocol.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 07:02
I did not read my appointment letter properly until the night before my appointment, when I did it said the meeting would be with Mr X or one of his team and the possibility of a biopsy. I saw a registrar and the biopsy technician, signed a form and 20 minutes later was done,not in my top ten list of nice experiences but bearable and I had no post biopsy problems. A bit of blood in the urine and semen, back to work the next day. Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 07:42

In Coventry and Warwickshire they have a “one stop shop” clinic after an MRI scan, inasmuch that the day you see the consultant to discuss your MRI results they rope you in for a TRUS biopsy there and then.

Having been advised by two friends separately to avoid such a procedure, I politely declined, and lo and behold, had a template biopsy three weeks later, despite there being “a six month wait” for one.

I am quite happy with the choice I made (but not with the result!). It’s all a matter of cost for the over-subscribed and under-funded NHS. TRUS is considerably cheaper than template, but template/transperineal is the gold standard. Another bonus is that template is under a general anaesthetic, so you don’t feel a thing. I had 42 cores sampled. Another guy on here said he was in agony after eight punctures during a TRUS and could stand no more.

The service and care at the hospital has been absolutely first class.

Edited by member 11 Mar 2018 at 08:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 09:47

The gold standard for diagnosis is a multi-parametric MRI scan at 3 Tesla resolution followed by a transperineal biopsy targeted by the MRI imaging results.

That is exactly what I had, so thank you NHS. My friend had the same done privately and he paid about five grand as he was worried about NHS waiting lists. I had to only wait around eight or nine weeks from raised PSA to diagnosis.

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 09:29

Yes, I had the same scan. The radiographers were two black guys from Eritrea, so I said “put some reggae on the headphones while I’m in the tunnel”. Did they buggery! All I heard was hideous grunge or house or garage mechanical “music”😂😂😂

They told me there was a “long” waiting list for the target biopsy after I (on the separate advice of two friends from different parts of the world) politely declined the rectal one on the day of the post MRI consultation. And in fact I had two letters from the hospital, one from the senior consultant, imploring me to go for a TRUS, one of which arrived the same time as a letter inviting me to go for pre-med tests prior to a general anaesthetic.

It’s purely down to money as a TRUS is so much cheaper. And the risk of infection of multiple piercings of the bowel is secondary to that. There is always a risk with a general anaesthetic, of course. In the event, I think I waited about three weeks.

Click on my profile for my latest good news - I’m not cured - yet!

Cheers,

John

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 10:40

It is not purely down to money - it is not helpful to keep stating this like a fact as others starting the process may not realise that this is just the personal opinion of another newbie.

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 13:40

Lazarus - not dead yet to rise from, check out the posts here from the correspondent called “Rafael”. He had a Retzius-sparing prostatectomy a month ago by the same surgeon.

Of course you may not need any of that malarkey pending your MRI result, fingers crossed.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2018 at 15:49

Your consultant would have known the results of your MRI scan within a matter of days, and it seems a shame that you are left in the lurch worrying about the results.

If I were you, I would phone up the Urology department and ask a doctor or nurse to tell you the results of your MRI scan, sooner than leaving you in limbo for another two weeeks.

One would hope that the follow-up on the 26th is non-urgent, so maybe good news, but in the organised chaos that is the NHS today, who can say?

Fingers crossed🤞

User
Posted 13 Apr 2018 at 14:53

So, forget any hint of “good news”, except that you now have dates for a target biopsy and follow-up.

Transperineal biopsies are normally under general anaesthetic, unless your body cannot cope with one. Your MRI must have shown up what they euphemistically call an “abnormality” in your prostate, which may or not turn out to be benign.

Best of luck,

Cheers, John

User
Posted 13 Apr 2018 at 16:58
Hi, I had a transperineal biopsy under local anaesthetic, wasn't too painful Dr topped it up as and when needed, procedure took about 20 mins. My appointment was at 9am and I was home putting the kettle on at 10:30am.

I had some blood in urine for a couple of days and blood in semen for about a week after resuming sex, no big deal really. Don't let people stress you out.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

I have been told that I have BPH but time will tell.

Steve.

Edited by member 13 Apr 2018 at 17:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Apr 2018 at 06:19

Matron,

I have a particular maxim in life, which is: “If I don’t know, I don’t say”. I have only ever commented on subjects of which I have specific knowledge, and the one time where I may have “got it wrong” was when a guy wrote that his PSA was 300 or something when he meant 0.03. I deleted that post, but in the event when he admitted his mistake I was absolutely correct in my initial comments.

You seem to regard this forum as your own personal fiefdom. You have been most helpful to sufferers on thousands of occasions, and are clearly extremely knowledgeable. Yet you have prejudices like telling me to “go to America” for treatment, against any criticism of the useless TRUS biopsy, about “rogue” surgeons opening their own private clinics, and against anyone with a sense of humour.

Leave me alone to deal with my cancer in my own way. Doing very nicely, actually!

User
Posted 14 Apr 2018 at 17:48

Billings, your problem is too many interventions in too many cases, leading to a tad too much assertiveness for one relatively inexperienced in this forum. I advise holding back and sticking to areas of where your personal knowledge will be helpful to the occasional reader. Over-exposure reduces the impact of your views, don't you think?

AC

User
Posted 23 Apr 2018 at 17:14

Louise, I deserve reporting for renaming Bollinge! But he's abstained since then so point must have been taken. Must learn not to trust the inbuilt spellchecker in Android!!

AC

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 17:49

Lazarus, Good news (drop in PSA) is always welcome. I hope you get some more from the biopsy! At least then you will have firm knowledge rather than fears to take you forward.

Good luck!

AC

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 19:57

It's unlikely Lazarus

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 00:07

There are so many possible explanations other than cancer - no point getting in a tizz at this point. The GP would have been letting you down if he hadn't referred you for further checks. Weight loss is not commonly associated with prostate cancer and it would be extremely rare to have mets in your hip with a PSA of 6.5 so hopefully all will be well and you just have a bit of infection or an enlarged but benign prostate.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 21:58

Thank you for your reassurance.

I have been going to my GP with my concerns ever since I started to feel as though something was going wrong with me last autumn.

I had a colonoscopy in January that ruled out colon cancer

I have been having urinary problems for years now but they have got worse in the past year also I have an older brother who was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer 9 years ago.

I was offered a PSA test by a GP after discussing my concerns with them.

On a lighter note:

A funny thing happened to me yesterday - I was at the opticians having a eye test.

At one point during the test the optician produced an instrument to look closely into my eyes to examine them for signs of disease.

As she positioned herself in front of me she directed my attention to the wall behind her upon which was projected a big black letter C.

She said "look at the big C"

I couldn't help but be amused and thought to myself - is this God's way of telling me something!

Edited by member 08 Mar 2018 at 10:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 13:54

What a shame your GP didn’t discuss his findings (feelings!) with you following your rectal examination.

I recently had a multi-parametric MRI scan at 3T resolution (the best), and a subsequent template biopsy confirming cancer.

Two friends with PCa both said: Don’t let them palm you off with a TRUS biopsy (through the bowel and not accurate) which I was offered there and then on the day I met the consultant after the MRI.

I declined and was told the NHS waiting list for template was six months. “I’ll wait”.

In the event it was three weeks!

If you have to have a scan and subsequent biopsy I suggest you ask for the same investigations that I had, and if not available at your local hospital, travel to somewhere that does offer them.

Best of luck for a positive outcome (negative result!).

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 16:20

Well I am sorry Bollinge but I don't think that is very good advice at all. You may have decided that you would prefer a template biopsy to a TRUS but that doesn't mean that it is better for everyone! And advice to travel elsewhere if the local hospital doesn't have mpMRI is rather OTT at this stage.

Lazarus, see what you are offered first - a TRUS biopsy before MRI scan is a bit like sticking pins in a cake and hoping to spear a cherry but if you are in an area where the scan is done first and the TRUS biopsy afterwards it is much more controlled as they can see where they want to take samples from. Many men (and doctors) would only consider a template biopsy if the scan and TRUS were both clear but PSA was still rising.

User
Posted 09 Mar 2018 at 22:33

The TRUS scan is much less involved for both the medical team and the patient. For the local 'Trust' it is much quicker and less expensive and mostly what men are offered (at least originally) within the NHS. The Transperineal template biopsy is less likely to result in an infection than the TRUS which passes through the rectum. Also, because the needles are inserted through a grid (template), there is a better chance of finding tumours that are quite small. Much could depend on what the prior scan showed if done first. I have had both of these types of scan and given the need again and choice, on balance would opt for the template due to greater accuracy and less risk of infection. Some men occasionally have two negative TRUS biopsies and then when it is still believed there is cancer have a template one.

Barry
User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 20:01

Yes, I regret not asking him now.

After doing the DRE he just washed his hands and said he was going to refer to the Hospital for a scan and a biopsy.

I've had my appointment letter come through today.

Will the first Hospital appointment just be an initial consultation?

Will I have to go back for the actual scan and or biopsy?

PS thank you for your advice

User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 20:14

Thank you for your advice.

What you have told me will help me I'm sure

Will I be given time to think about it before making my decision?

Will I even be given a choice?

My wife is going with me to the appointment which is great for moral support but I'm really wishing I had someone with me who has been through the process themselves 

User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 20:21

Thanks for the info 

Sounds to me like the template biopsy is the better one in terms of greater accuracy and less complications.

Wonder if I'll be given a choice 

User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 21:31

I just want to thank the three people on here who have answered my posts.
I feel I know a bit more about it now thanks to what you have told me.
Ever since I've been having symptoms I have been pretty worried and scared that I might have cancer.
Now that I could be about to find out whether I have it I feel terrified and also quite depressed.
I just want to wish everyone on here the best of luck with it all.
I'll let you know how I get on with my first appointment at the Hospital later in the week.
I'm guessing the first appointment will just be talking with a doctor but to be honest I really don't know what to expect.
I'm grateful I will have my wife with me on that day and I have told my brothers one of which was diagnosed with prostate cancer 9 years ago.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 01:20

I would have thought that you would have been advised if you were to have a biopsy at this initial meeting but I am pretty certain it wouldn't be a transperineal one. The latter requires that you attend a pre op appointment where you are assessed for suitability for this and for anesthesia. It's possible that blood and urine samples could be taken and a DRE done as may be decided by the consultant or the hospital protocol.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 07:02
I did not read my appointment letter properly until the night before my appointment, when I did it said the meeting would be with Mr X or one of his team and the possibility of a biopsy. I saw a registrar and the biopsy technician, signed a form and 20 minutes later was done,not in my top ten list of nice experiences but bearable and I had no post biopsy problems. A bit of blood in the urine and semen, back to work the next day. Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 07:42

In Coventry and Warwickshire they have a “one stop shop” clinic after an MRI scan, inasmuch that the day you see the consultant to discuss your MRI results they rope you in for a TRUS biopsy there and then.

Having been advised by two friends separately to avoid such a procedure, I politely declined, and lo and behold, had a template biopsy three weeks later, despite there being “a six month wait” for one.

I am quite happy with the choice I made (but not with the result!). It’s all a matter of cost for the over-subscribed and under-funded NHS. TRUS is considerably cheaper than template, but template/transperineal is the gold standard. Another bonus is that template is under a general anaesthetic, so you don’t feel a thing. I had 42 cores sampled. Another guy on here said he was in agony after eight punctures during a TRUS and could stand no more.

Edited by member 11 Mar 2018 at 08:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 10:02

Thank you Barry

I have just read the appointment letter and there is no mention of any procedures 

Edited by member 11 Mar 2018 at 10:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 10:07

Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris

I'm glad I'm not the only one who scan reads letters - it was my wife who pointed out to me that the Hospital was a different one to our usual one - so I might have turned up at the wrong Hospital!

I have just read the letter again and there is no mention of any procedures scans or biopsies.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 10:18

Thank you Bolloinge 

I do appreciate your advice 

The appointment letter makes no mention of scans or biopsies so I am guessing it will be just a consultation, (if the truth be known probably mainly so the Hospital can meet it's two week urgent referral deadline!)

I will report back after I have had my first appointment on Thursday.

You raise a very important point regarding the under resourced NHS and the quality of care available to it's patients.

I'm sorry about your diagnosis and I am grateful for you taking the time and using your knowledge and experience to advise me on here.

Thanks again.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 10:23

No Bollinge, you should desist from putting your opinion as if it is fact! It is not acceptable, as new posters have no idea that you are also new. In your opinion, template biopsy is the gold standard. But the one stop shop clinic that your American friends advised you against, we were celebrating in the news last week as the way forward. It is not just a matter of cost - it is also about unnecessary general anaesthesia. And it is certainly unhelpful to tell another poster that something is going to be agony when you haven’t even experienced it yourself.

Lazarus, the vast majority report that the biopsy was nowhere near as painful as imagined, and felt somewhat like being flicked with an elastic band.

Edited by member 11 Mar 2018 at 10:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 10:57

They are not my American friends, Matron, neither of whom have PCa, the advice came from friends in England who both have it and have had to endure a TRUS biopsy and then a subsequent template biopsy for improved accuracy.

I knew I had made the right decision when I met a guy on the recovery ward who had just had a template like me. He had had a TRUS last August which was not accurate enough so he had to wait nearly six months for a template before being sent off to Cambridge for specialist treatment of his very aggressive cancer.

The small risk from general anaesthesia has to be balanced against the risk of perforating the bowel in multiple locations and chance of infection thereafter.

Edited by member 11 Mar 2018 at 12:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 16:59

Even 10 years ago, the standard biopsy was transperineal, as in my case, in Coventry and Warwickshire, and as Lyn said was like being flicked repeatedly with an elastic band. No big deal. And this post IS based on experience.

AC

User
Posted 12 Mar 2018 at 01:35

Even 10 years ago, the standard biopsy was transperineal, as in my case, in Coventry and Warwickshire, and as Lyn said was like being flicked repeatedly with an elastic band. No big deal. And this post IS based on experience.

AC

Did you mean TRUS AC?  If your experience of the biopsy was of being flicked by a band you would not have known as you are normally put 'under' or on rare occassions given an epidural with the transperineal biopsy

Barry
User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 17:41

No. I said what I recall. Entry was definitely not through the rectum. There was a local anaesthetic, I think.

AC

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 20:56

Wow AC, I take my had off to you in that case!!! I have had both the TRUS biopsy where I also felt it was like being flicked by a rubber band for the 12 cores that were taken but also had a transperineal where 50 cores were taken. Fortunately, I was put under for the latter procedure as is normally the case, as the legs are in an elevated and unnatural position and it is crucial that the patient remains perfectly still. If you scroll down to the video of precision prostate diagnostics in this link, the actual procedure is shown in part along with other interesting information. http://www.ahamm.co.uk/prostate/blogdetails.htm

Edited by member 13 Mar 2018 at 20:57  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 23:01

I had the transperineal template biopsy March 2017, with a spinal block/epidural.

Didn't feel a thing. I was distracting myself chatting with the anaesthetist, wondering when the biopsy was going to start, and they told me they had finished. 

With the sp. block and having my legs parted and placed up in stirrups I was beginning to wonder if they'd misread my notes about what I was in for.

User
Posted 14 Mar 2018 at 00:26

Very interesting discussion. A’s diagnosis followed 46 core transperineal template biopsy with a general anaesthetic. This followed a MpMRI scan so was targeted.

The RAPID prostate pathway slides are a useful read

http://rmpartners.cancervanguard.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/RAPID-Prostate-Pathway-Hashim-Ahmed.pdf

However I can’t see an answer to the anaesthetic plan - general/ local/ nothing question? I

However A was really badly bruised and full recovery took a fair few weeks following his template biopsy ( not complaining just reporting) so he wouldn’t have wanted 46 cores taken in this way without any anaesthetic .

User
Posted 14 Mar 2018 at 03:51

My recent template biopsy was really no big deal, and I am a big baby, averse to pain! Although I do watch when they take blood samples.

I went into theatre around 10.30, chatted to and joked with the anaesthetist about his native Berlin and discussed which cocktails he was administering. Fentanyl was one, the recreational drug that killed The Artist Formerly Known As Prince, when he overdosed and combined it with some other drug.

Woke up around mid-day, with a lovely Filipina nurse almost in bed with me. Back to the day case ward, with an urge to pee where the catheter had been inserted. When I did go to the loo there was the razor blade sensation and pink piss, but not too bad. The registrar came round and said I was OK to leave, but a nurse said my pulse was too high and I had a temperature. I said my pulse is high anyway and the temperature is likely to be a side effect of the anaesthetic. I was advised to sit by an open window.....

I felt fine, so got dressed and discharged myself around 2.30 pm. They gave me Co-codamol painkilling tablets, but I didn’t need them. Slight discomfort when micturating for a day or so, but the rosé soon changed back to Chardonnay. There was extensive bruising to my perineum, of course, as they had taken 42 core samples, and I got Her Loveliness to take a picture. I will spare you the image, but think black and blue. Not uncomfortable though. Pink semen for about three weeks.

So that’s just the rehearsal. The premiere is yet to come. Not sure when.....!

User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 09:06

Hi there
I went to my Hospital appointment last Thursday.
Questionnaire
Flow test
Ultrasound
Examination
Blood Test
Information regarding two possible biopsies on offer, (Transrectal Ultrasound & Transperineal)*

Have an appointment made for an MRI scan next Friday

*I asked the nurse who would make the decision as to which biopsy, (if one is needed at all) I would have, the answer was rather ambiguous but if I am given a choice of the two on offer based on what I know now I would go with the Transperineal one.

My understanding is the medical team will make the decision as to whether I need a biopsy after they have the results of my MRI 

Edited by member 17 Mar 2018 at 09:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 09:47

The gold standard for diagnosis is a multi-parametric MRI scan at 3 Tesla resolution followed by a transperineal biopsy targeted by the MRI imaging results.

That is exactly what I had, so thank you NHS. My friend had the same done privately and he paid about five grand as he was worried about NHS waiting lists. I had to only wait around eight or nine weeks from raised PSA to diagnosis.

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 08:56

Hi Bollinge

I had my MRI scan yesterday 

Took about 40 minutes in the tunnel and they injected die into me at one stage

I asked how long it would be before I got the results and was told around 2 weeks.

My understanding is that now I have to wait to be contacted by the consultant who will recommend the next course of action.

If I have to have a biopsy and am given a choice I will opt for the transperineal one over the trus one because there is less chance of infection and it is more likely to find the cancer if I have any.

What's going on for you now?

What was your diagnosis?

Thanks for all your advice and for sharing your experience I appreciate it.

All the best 

Edited by member 24 Mar 2018 at 08:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 09:29

Yes, I had the same scan. The radiographers were two black guys from Eritrea, so I said “put some reggae on the headphones while I’m in the tunnel”. Did they buggery! All I heard was hideous grunge or house or garage mechanical “music”😂😂😂

They told me there was a “long” waiting list for the target biopsy after I (on the separate advice of two friends from different parts of the world) politely declined the rectal one on the day of the post MRI consultation. And in fact I had two letters from the hospital, one from the senior consultant, imploring me to go for a TRUS, one of which arrived the same time as a letter inviting me to go for pre-med tests prior to a general anaesthetic.

It’s purely down to money as a TRUS is so much cheaper. And the risk of infection of multiple piercings of the bowel is secondary to that. There is always a risk with a general anaesthetic, of course. In the event, I think I waited about three weeks.

Cheers,

John

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 10:40

It is not purely down to money - it is not helpful to keep stating this like a fact as others starting the process may not realise that this is just the personal opinion of another newbie.

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 10:47
Matron,

It’s not just my opinion, it’s the opinion of two friends who are far from “newbies”, and the opinion of the poor bloke in the bed opposite me who had a TRUS last August and had to wait five months for a template, and at least one guy on here in the last week or so.

All of whom had a TRUS initially, and then were recalled for a more accurate template biopsy later.

I only speak as I find.

Edited by member 24 Mar 2018 at 10:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 12:48

Cheers,

John

I read your profile - looks like you've got a top Harley Street doctor who has a hope to cure your Pca on the NHS.

Sounds good to me!

I wish you well and thanks again for your advice

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 13:40

Lazarus - not dead yet to rise from, check out the posts here from the correspondent called “Rafael”. He had a Retzius-sparing prostatectomy a month ago by the same surgeon.

Of course you may not need any of that malarkey pending your MRI result, fingers crossed.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2018 at 09:22

Hi everyone

I've been away for a week and as a consequence my next appointment with the Hospital Doctor is not until April 26th.

I had my MRI scan on March 23rd and so I am hoping that by then the medical team have had chance to look at the results of the MRI scan.

I also have received a letter from the Hospital Doctor that I saw at my initial Hospital Appointment in March 15th in it she mentions a number of things things that appear to be good news to me - "MSU was negative" and "he has not had any urinary tract infections or visible haematuria" and "his urine dip was negative" and "on rectal examination, he has a small and benign feeling prostate"

She also quotes the results of the flow test - "a flow test today is just 7.4ml/sec with the post-void residual 55ml"

Can anyone on here help me to understand whether the flow rate results she quotes is good or bad?

Also she says in the letter in relation to the raised PSA - "I have given him a blood form to have it repeated just to ensure it is not a spurious result"

She ends by saying "I have also requested a an MRI scan of his prostate on the understanding that he will be booked directly for a biopsy if any abnormality is seen."

As my appointment letter for the 26th does not mention a biopsy does that mean in your experience that my MRI result must have been good and therefore I don't need a biopsy this time?

Thanks as always for your time and advice - I appreciate it.

Edited by member 11 Apr 2018 at 12:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Apr 2018 at 15:49

Your consultant would have known the results of your MRI scan within a matter of days, and it seems a shame that you are left in the lurch worrying about the results.

If I were you, I would phone up the Urology department and ask a doctor or nurse to tell you the results of your MRI scan, sooner than leaving you in limbo for another two weeeks.

One would hope that the follow-up on the 26th is non-urgent, so maybe good news, but in the organised chaos that is the NHS today, who can say?

Fingers crossed🤞

User
Posted 12 Apr 2018 at 09:45

She also quotes the results of the flow test - "a flow test today is just 7.4ml/sec with the post-void residual 55ml"

I found this on flow testing results by means of some googling

Hope it helps someone else like me trying to make sense of their results

Analysis of urine flow may aid in establishing the type of micturition (urination) abnormality. Common findings, determined by ultrasound of the bladder, include a slow rate of flow, intermittent flow, and a large amount of urine retained in the bladder after urination. A normal test result should be 20-25 mL/s peak flow rate. A post-void residual urine greater than 50 ml is a significant amount of urine and increases the potential for recurring urinary tract infections. In adults older than 60 years, 50-100 ml of residual urine may remain after each voiding because of the decreased contractility of the detrusor muscle.[4

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinary_retention#Prostate

User
Posted 12 Apr 2018 at 09:49

Fingers crossed🤞

Thanks Bollinge 

My wife also takes the view that given the lateness of the follow up date that it must mean that it's good news but like you say what with the NHS in crisis and all that who knows?

I've decided just to hang on until the appointment date to find out the results. 

Edited by member 12 Apr 2018 at 09:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Apr 2018 at 13:59

2 envelopes arrive this morning from the local NHS trust arrived this morning

First envelope contained one letter of cancellation of the 26th April appointment.

Second envelope contained two letters of appointment one for the 5th June and one for the 12th June

Rang the Urology department and spoke to someone there who has confirmed that the first appointment is for a Transperineal Biopsy under a local anaesthetic the second appointment is for the results.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2018 at 14:53

So, forget any hint of “good news”, except that you now have dates for a target biopsy and follow-up.

Transperineal biopsies are normally under general anaesthetic, unless your body cannot cope with one. Your MRI must have shown up what they euphemistically call an “abnormality” in your prostate, which may or not turn out to be benign.

Best of luck,

Cheers, John

User
Posted 13 Apr 2018 at 16:58
Hi, I had a transperineal biopsy under local anaesthetic, wasn't too painful Dr topped it up as and when needed, procedure took about 20 mins. My appointment was at 9am and I was home putting the kettle on at 10:30am.

I had some blood in urine for a couple of days and blood in semen for about a week after resuming sex, no big deal really. Don't let people stress you out.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

I have been told that I have BPH but time will tell.

Steve.

Edited by member 13 Apr 2018 at 17:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Apr 2018 at 00:49

Ooh look Bollinge, you got it wrong twice in one thread. Perhaps you should stop giving advice until you know more?

Lazarus, that’s a long time to wait for a biopsy - did you ask whether it could be brought forward?

User
Posted 14 Apr 2018 at 06:19

Matron,

I have a particular maxim in life, which is: “If I don’t know, I don’t say”. I have only ever commented on subjects of which I have specific knowledge, and the one time where I may have “got it wrong” was when a guy wrote that his PSA was 300 or something when he meant 0.03. I deleted that post, but in the event when he admitted his mistake I was absolutely correct in my initial comments.

You seem to regard this forum as your own personal fiefdom. You have been most helpful to sufferers on thousands of occasions, and are clearly extremely knowledgeable. Yet you have prejudices like telling me to “go to America” for treatment, against any criticism of the useless TRUS biopsy, about “rogue” surgeons opening their own private clinics, and against anyone with a sense of humour.

Leave me alone to deal with my cancer in my own way. Doing very nicely, actually!

User
Posted 14 Apr 2018 at 08:44

Lazarus, that’s a long time to wait for a biopsy - did you ask whether it could be brought forward?

Hi Lyn

Yes that is what I thought to when I opened the envelopes my spirits dropped thinking that oh god I've got wait all that time!

But then I remembered what the Nurse said at my initial Hospital appointment on the 15th March when she explained the two biopsies that they did, (TRUS and Transperineal). When asked what I thought of them I said I preferred to have the Transperineal one and I asked if in the event of my needing a biopsy would I be consulted before hand as to my preference but the Nurse was unsure as to whether I would be consulted or not, (in the event I was not) but she did say that she knew only one of the consultants performed transperineal biopsies and there was a waiting list for them. 

As I said in the event I was NOT consulted as to which type of biopsy I preferred so I am assuming that the decision to put me in for a Transperineal biopsy is for clinical reasons - so I am happy because my understanding based on what I have learned thus far is that a Transperineal biopsy after a MRI scan has two distinct advantages over a TRUS biopsy - more chance of finding the cancer if there is any there and less chance of getting an infection.

I note that on one of the letter the name of the consultant has been changed and when I looked him up on the internet the web page said that he specialises in transperineal biopsies.

No I haven't asked for an earlier appointment because I assumed that I would have been given the earliest appointment possible.

However I have subsequently been advised to ask to be placed on a waiting list for cancellations which I intend to ring up and request on Monday.

Edited by member 14 Apr 2018 at 08:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Apr 2018 at 17:48

Billings, your problem is too many interventions in too many cases, leading to a tad too much assertiveness for one relatively inexperienced in this forum. I advise holding back and sticking to areas of where your personal knowledge will be helpful to the occasional reader. Over-exposure reduces the impact of your views, don't you think?

AC

User
Posted 22 Apr 2018 at 21:30
Ooh sorry AC, I think I may have accidentally reported your post. It was unintentional, and I agree with everything you have said in it.

Lazarus- best of luck - I hope your biopsy goes well. With regard to advice on this thread, you’d b3 well advised to heed what Lyn has to say. She really does know what she is talking about.

Louise

User
Posted 23 Apr 2018 at 17:14

Louise, I deserve reporting for renaming Bollinge! But he's abstained since then so point must have been taken. Must learn not to trust the inbuilt spellchecker in Android!!

AC

User
Posted 25 Apr 2018 at 18:04

Rang and spoke to a nurse today who gave me some information regarding my forthcoming biopsy and results of the MRI scan I had on March 23rd and the blood test I had on the 15th March.

The blood test I had done at the hospital on the 15th March included a PSA test and interestingly enough my PSA score has gone down from 6.5 to 4.5 - although this is still too high as I am only 52.

My MRI scan is marked as 3 and although there is no evidence of a presence of a high grade cancer there is a lesion on the upper right side parameter which is recommended to be investigated further.

Hence why I am having a template transperineal biopsy on the 5th June.

The biopsy won't be a MRI-ultrasound fusion one but will use the MRI results as a guide to where to take the samples from.

They will also take some cores from the rest of the prostate.

I get the results from the biopsy on the following week (12 June)

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 17:49

Lazarus, Good news (drop in PSA) is always welcome. I hope you get some more from the biopsy! At least then you will have firm knowledge rather than fears to take you forward.

Good luck!

AC

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 19:45

Good luck!

AC

Thanks very much!

Good or bad I will just be glad when I know the facts - all this not knowing has completely done my head in.

It's just a shame that I still have 7 weeks to wait before I get the results but I was told at my first Hospital consultation on the 15th March that there was a waiting list for transperineal biopsies on account of the fact only one of the consultants does them.

However the medical team decided that the MRI is showing a specific area of my prostate that needs to be targeted for biopsy and they have chosen a template transperineal biopsy as the best method to do this.

I have requested that I am put on a cancellation list so there is always the possibility that I might not have wait that long if I am lucky.

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing an aching pain in my right testicle area - could this be caused by the lesion on my prostate does anyone know? 

Edited by member 26 Apr 2018 at 19:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 19:57

It's unlikely Lazarus