I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The way NHS treatment will go?

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 00:33

Had a bit of a surprise today at my dental check up.  The Dentist I have seen for some 6 years will no longer treat NHS adult patients, not even regular ones, although he will continue to treat children. He says the practice, of which he is a partner, is barely covering it's costs from what he receives for NHS patients and is being subsidised by private patients.  I was handed a leaflet of 'Denplan' which is for private treatment at a rate decided by my dentist and paid for monthly.  Alternatively, I could just pay for private treatment as the need arose.  One other option is to still be treated as a NHS patient by staying at the practice but being treated for up to a year by a temporary newly qualified dentist gaining experience who would then be replaced after a year with another newly qualified trainee.  It is possible but unlikely that I could easily be accepted as a NHS patient in another practice.  I recall my dentist where I formerly lived in Surrey saying that the NHS only provided a basic service and he directed me to a dental surgeon to have two broken teeth removed privately at great cost.  An insurance acquaintance told me several years ago that it would become necessary to 'go private' and it looks like this is happening.  This acquaintance also said he believed NHS health treatment would go the same way eventually and more people seem to be moving towards this.  

Barry
User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 09:16

Barry

Dentists have always moaned about the NHS so can't see how they're a guide to the future of it. My small local one supermarket shopping area has at least 5 dentists all advertising NHS patients accepted.

Ray

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 10:39

I’ve not had NHS dentistry for /5 years. My surgery changed to Denplan. Currently I pay £23 per month but get 2 appts with the dentist per year and 2 with the hygienist so that’s pretty good. My dentist has always be keen to “ get the most “ out of what I pay and has done some corrective work to make my teeth look nice. We’ve not had NHS dentistry for years down here. My wife goes private.

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 11:58

You are indeed fortunate in your area Ray as regards NHS dental choice but this is not the case in many parts of the UK as a google search will show. I remember reading of one place where people were queuing 'round the block' to join a new practice that was opening. Here is another example of the situation in another area:- https://healthwatchsouthglos.co.uk/news/nhs-dentists-not-offering-nhs-appointments/

As in most parts of the UK, there is a growing and ageing population in North Devon, yet some of the smaller hospitals have either been closed or services restricted. Even the main hospital at Barnstaple has lost some of it's services and people have to go to Exeter, a round trip of some 100 miles or more for some. Furthermore, it was proposed under the 'Sustainability and Transformation' plan to transfer even more services from North to South Devon, something that seems to have been deferred due to large scale local opposition. These proposals were the very opposite of what is needed which is an expanded North Devon Hospital with a new multi story car park. (It is appreciated that certain highly specialized treatments could be best dealt with at fewer hospitals as at present but the proposal to transfer among other services that dealing with births was quite absurd). Although is does not relate to private dentistry in the same way, it does show how life is being made more difficult for NHS patients.

Barry