I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Emotions nntreatmentquestions

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 15:43
I am 64 and just one month ago diagnosed with adv pc wirh mets in bone n lymph. Now on zolafex and albutiramide ( only 3 weeks then stop) and they want to start chemo docetaxel in 3 weeks . Anyone has an opinion if this is correct?

Also i am very emotional and nervous since diagnosed, what did you take to calm down?

Thx very much for comments

Ron

User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 16:39

Hello Ron and welcome to the site

Feeling emotional and nervous is par for the course I'm afraid, and whatever level we members started at, I'm pretty sure that most of us felt the same as you do now.

I'll not comment on the Chemo as we didn't go that route but I know that others have and I'm sure somebody else will advise you.
as they will on how to calm down.

We do usually say that once a treatment plan is in place, the PC man often feels more in control and that helps too.

Anyway, best of luck and just hang in there until somebody else comes along

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 Mar 2018 at 17:29

The meds you are on are called zoladex and bicalutimide. Zoladex stops production of testosterone, which then starves the cancer. The bicalutimide is simply to dsguise the testosterone you already have until the zoladex starts working properly. Early chemo is quite a new strategy but evidence indicates that it makes the zoladex more effective for a longer time.

So yes, your treatment plan looks spot on.

Be aware that the emotional state may be caused by the zoladex and loss of testosterone, as well as the shock of being diagnosed!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Mar 2018 at 17:59

As regards suggesting ways to better handle the stress and anxiety, I guess different people have various approaches.

I've found the counselling service at my hospital useful. I still get negative thoughts, but when negative thoughts come to mind, I’m more likely now to recognise that these are normal but better able to refocus on the moment and the task in hand. I then try to allow the negative thoughts to wash away as i focus on the task/job that pleases me. In short, I'm beginning to learn about Acceptance & Commitment Therapy. Google it. Best wishes. 

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 17:27
Thx very much for your answer and support
User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 23:27

Hi,
I was finding it difficult to cope post diagnosis and went to my GP for help. I am aware that not everyone wishes to pursue the medication route but it has made a lot of difference to how I feel in all sorts of ways. I was prescribed Sertraline for anxiety and Zolpidem because I couldn’t sleep. I don’t get any unwanted side effects from either.

Dave