I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Don't do it alone

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 11:45
I would advise anyone diagnosed with prostate cancer not to try and deal with it alone, if you're married or in a relationship make sure you involve your partner from the minute your gp refairs you to the hospital.

I didn't and I regret not having my wife beside me through my journey,so I don't think my wife really understood what was happening and what to expect post op.we now don't have any sex life and barely a relationship at all.this saddens me because we have been together for 45 years but now we don't do anything together and I am frustrated and lonely.dont make the same mistake I did.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 15:21
A cautionary warning to all of us Daniel. Thank you.

Thankfully my husband wanted me involved from the start and if anything it has brought us even closer together even although our sex life has had to take a bit of a back seat due to non nerve sparing.( although we both knew the consequences prior to surgery)

I obviously don't know what your relationship was like before the cancer but how are you now? Are you in remission? Did you have successful nerve sparing?

It is never too late to try and rekindle your relationship with your wife.

Have you tried talking to each other about your feelings. I doubt after 45 years either of you would want to throw the towel in.

Would you both be open to perhaps going for counselling?

This disease can and does test relationships to the limit but you can come through it perhaps with a lot of effort. Don't give up on each other.

Regards

Ann