I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

elevated PSA on active surveillance

User
Posted 12 Mar 2018 at 20:41

Finally screwed up courage to come and ask a question. my back ground is I had a PSA last year of 6.5, refereed to hospital had a biopsy which was Gleason 6. Then had a MSI, another PSA 8.7 and a template biopsy which was Gleason 7 (3+4). Put on active surveillance which I was expecting to be on for some time, but when I had my first PSA test after 3 months it had gone up to 15.7. My consultant said this was wrong so sent me for another PSA. Got a letter from consultant repeat PSA has gone down to 12 but is still elevated and will need another biopsy. My question is, is this usual if your on active surveillance ? if not should I be concerned.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2018 at 22:38

Well this is an example of active surveillance managed properly - regular PSA with at least annual scan (and DRE perhaps?) picks up any significant changes so that you can pinpoint when the cancer is on the move and the time to treat has arrived. I am surprised that they are suggesting yet another biopsy but if you are okay with it then fair enough. I think the bigger surprise is that with a quite short doubling time last year and a G7 you were even offered AS.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 14:28

I assume it will be a template biopsy, I didn't enjoy it last time so not relishing it again. At the moment I've got more questions than answers, so hoping another biopsy will give me the answers I need. Can't help thinking that after this next biopsy I will be asked to make a decision on treatment a lot sooner than I had been prepared for.