I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Nano-knife on the NHS

User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 13:01
I have been told by a fellow sufferer (although I am not “suffering” yet, apart from a diagnosis) that Nano-Knife is available somewhere on the NHS.

Any advice on that subject?

User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 14:03

Dodgy had it as part of a trial at KCH - https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t12802-NanoKnife#post158903

There was a previous trial about 4 years ago but the results weren't very good so it stopped early. I think it has been more successful for other cancers like pancreatic.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 16:42
Thiis is the last information I have seen

https://www.kingshealthpartners.org/latest/1174-clinical-trial-for-cancer-patients

We explored focal treatments but were not even offered Nano knife privately

The consultants we use privately do have it on ‘the menu’ but not as a first treatment option. It looks like a very small trial at Kings ..

User
Posted 17 Mar 2018 at 21:20

It may be true that KCH were the first to do 'Nanoknife' (Irreversable Electoporation) within a European Trial in 2017 but I did make enquiries about this as a patient at UCLH in 2015 at the time I was being considered for HIFU. I was told that UCLH had recently ended a small trial of this treatment so it was not an option. Coincidentally, I contacted Kings along with others at the time and they confirmed it was not offered by them. During a meeting with Profesor E of UCLH in early 2017, I took the opportunity to ask how successful he thought 'Nanoknife' had been but as I expected, he said it was much too soon to give an opinion.
They have been doing 'Nanoknife; in Germany for several years and will treat private patients from abroad. However, they confirmed to me that they can only use this procedure where the cancer is still within the Prostate.

Barry