I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

previous hernia repairs with mesh

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 13:37

I have recently been diagnosed with localised prostate cancer with a Gleeson score of 7 (4+3).  In 2011 I had a laparoscopic bilateral inguinal hernia repair with mesh.  This failed and in 2013 I had a further bilateral hernia repair with more mesh by open surgery.  Has anyone with similar mesh hernia repairs had a prostatectomy?  Has anyone had a perineal prostatectomy?

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 11:23

No it has fallen out of fashion in recent years but you will find one or two surgeons who are now offering retzius sparing RP which is like perineal RP with added benefits.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 16:16
My husband had a perineal prostectomy in 2007 . He asked for this particular operation because of his hernia mesh repair plus an aortic graft, plus a kidney operation so didn’t want any incisions in his abdomen. It was a relatively smooth procedure, no major problems.
User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 19:00
I underwent this operation on 19 February this year at the Royal Surrey County Hospital (RSCH) in Guildford. I am now 6 weeks post-op and going great.

I was referred to the surgeon by my local hospital urology department, St Peter's in Chertsey, Surrey, and things went from there.

I am not sure where you are but you can always ask to be referred to this surgeon at the RSCH, after all the NHS is a nationwide organisation.

Rafael

He who lives, loves and knows what it means to die - Jiddu Krishnamurti.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 14:10
Apologies if this is too far wide of the mark but I had a mesh hernia repair done at the same time as my RALP. I didn't realise they were going to do it but on the day a different surgeon carried out my RALP to the one I had been seeing pre op and as he was qualified to perform both ops he did it as it gave him more scope for dealing with seminal vesicles that were affected by the PCA. There have no problems with that op and I have since had another mesh repair on the other side with no problem. The second hernia repair was done under local anaesthetic and was an interesting experience. The only comment the second surgeon made was that this op took longer than expected as some tissue was thicker and attached differently as a result of minor damage caused by SRT. I have had no problems with either mesh repair but the recovery time from the RALP was slightly longer as we had to allow for recovery from both procedures.

All the best

Kevan

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 14:24

I don't know what a bilateral inguinal hernia is but if it helps I had a robot prostatectomy just over a year ago and had a hernia mesh repair about twenty years earlier. The surgen thoroughly examine the area of the hernia at a pre assessment appointment and said it was not a problem. The hernia was low on the left side of my abdoman, lower than the incisions they made for the RALP.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 15:42

I had a full blown bladder and prostate removal 4-5 years after a mesh hernia repair (done as soon as I have my prostate RT completed which complicated things a bit) but that has been fine. Also had a hernia on the other side repaired years after the major surgery. No problems then either, even though the tear was much bigger. I would say you have nothing to worry about.

AC

User
Posted 18 Mar 2018 at 16:34

It depends on the position of the mesh. Sometimes keyhole RP is not possible if the mesh sits where the port holes would be but open RP can cope with this as can perineal RP.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 11:06

Thank you Lyn, Kevan, Bill and the Auld Codger. You have all been reassuring and helpful. I am still undecided whether to go for surgery or hormone therapy plus radiotherapy. I find it hard to make a decision when there are so many pros and cons to consider.
Perineal prostatectomy seemed like a good option but I can't find anyone who does it or has had it done to them. Obviously not a popular choice!

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 11:23

No it has fallen out of fashion in recent years but you will find one or two surgeons who are now offering retzius sparing RP which is like perineal RP with added benefits.

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 16:16
My husband had a perineal prostectomy in 2007 . He asked for this particular operation because of his hernia mesh repair plus an aortic graft, plus a kidney operation so didn’t want any incisions in his abdomen. It was a relatively smooth procedure, no major problems.
User
Posted 29 Mar 2018 at 15:16
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5079393/New-surgery-prostate-cancer-cut-incontinence-risk.html

It is worth reading this article. It was through reading this that I decided on Retzius-sparing robotic radical prostatectomy.

Rafael

He who lives, loves and knows what it means to die - Jiddu Krishnamurti

User
Posted 04 Apr 2018 at 14:04

Thanks, Raphael.  I found the article very interesting and informative.  Do you mind my asking how the operation went and what would be your recommendations?  The article says there are two NHS centres where it is performed.  Would you happen to know where these are?  How did you set about securing the operation after reading the article?

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 19:00
I underwent this operation on 19 February this year at the Royal Surrey County Hospital (RSCH) in Guildford. I am now 6 weeks post-op and going great.

I was referred to the surgeon by my local hospital urology department, St Peter's in Chertsey, Surrey, and things went from there.

I am not sure where you are but you can always ask to be referred to this surgeon at the RSCH, after all the NHS is a nationwide organisation.

Rafael

He who lives, loves and knows what it means to die - Jiddu Krishnamurti.