I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried waiting for results

User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 12:15

New on here, am 55 year old, had a TURP operation in February 2017. Since the Urologist has monitored my PSA. Was 18.1 prior to TURP. In May was 5.0, July 4.1 and 4.7 in December. Saw Urologist 3 weeks ago and he arranged for MRI which I had yesterday. Should get results in next few days.

Since I have had a consultation 3 weeks ago where I had a DRE that was reported as normal have had pain in back, buttocks and legs. A week ago got pains and pins and needles in my fingers and toes. Went to A& E and they did blood tests and ECG and said everything ok. They think I may be getting stressed and anxious over the tests.

Looking for any thoughts and support.

Edited by member 19 Mar 2018 at 17:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 18:31

Sounds like anxiety - the mind plays terrible tricks when someone suggests you might have a serious condition. However, they will have had a very good look at your prostate material in pathology after the TURP and almost all prostate cancers are in that area of the prostate so it is highly unlikely that they have missed a tumour.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 18:47
Thanks Lyn, they did take the samples from the TURP and they came back negative last year.

Consultant said three weeks ago that he was not overly concerned but would rather do tests now than in 5 years.

I have stressed about this since the consultation.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 19:03
Hiya AJS, It's not that uncommon to experience pain , pins and needles and other sensations when we are anxious and stressed. I personally have had them. Within my former job I occasionally heard doctors mention these type of symptoms as being psychosomatic to certain individuals.This could perhaps be the case with you. Monitor how things develop and tell the professionals involved in your care if it persists. Take care. Paul.
User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 19:22
thanks Paul, have spoken to the Urologist Nurse last week about how I am feeling, she is going to ring me with MRI result. She said if they were concerned with anything they would be handling me different.
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 21:27
Hi I had pins and needles in my fingers and toes when first diagnosed in January this year to date I have none now.

Take care Mike