I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Breathless

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 09:18
Hi everyone, I have been away from the forum for some time now as dad has been doing well, apologies if this sounds selfish.
Just a quick recap, Dad was diagnosed with advanced metatastic cancer in Jan 2016, completely our of the blue. His prognosis seemed terrible until we met with the oncologist who is just amazing. Dad had a 3 month hormone injection and had chemotherapy in 2016.
Every check up since has been really positive and PSA has stayed below 1 until last Monday. Dads PSA has risen to 4.6 from 0.6. The oncologist has prescribed a new medication and Dad needs another bone scan. This news came as a complete shock as we thought Dad was doing well. After this appointment, Dad told us (for the first time) that he had been getting very breathless after little of no exertion and that his “aches and pains “ had been getting worse.
I feel like we are entering a new stage and it’s really scary. Since Jan 2016, Dad has been amazingly positive but this news has hit him harder than the original diagnosis and he’s very low.
Any advice and shared experiences would be very welcome.
Love to you all
Dawn
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 22:37

Hi Dawn,

Has anything "ordinary" been ruled out.

Has dad had any of the winter bugs, colds, etc that might be causing the breathlessness ?

The ache and pains may be the result of that or from the hormones injection.

It's easy to automatically assume it must be something to do with the original cancer, Did he mention the aches,pains and breathlessness to the oncologist? If so what did he say?

Anyway, I'm hoping somebody with more experience will be along to answer you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 22:48

Hi Dawn,

Is your Dad still on Hormone Therapy. Are these the new medication ?

One of the recognised side effects of HT is breathlessness.