Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Fistula complications after radical prostectomy

User
Posted 06 Apr 2018 at 13:34
Hi wondered if anybody could help??

My husband Phil was diagnosed with prostate cancer Gleason score 7 March 2017. He was advised to have a radical prostectomy due to his young age of 48.he had the procedure in our local hospital and unfortunately there was some complications with a tear to the rectum. This resulted in a rectal fistula forming meaning bladder and bowel contents coming out the wrong places. He was given a colostomy bag and the catheter had to stay in (It's now been in 9 months) to allow healing this has never happened. He was then referred to the christie hospital for surgery to go the fistula with a promise of Feb maybe March this year and constant pencilling in of appointments which haven't happened . Still waiting an.appointment as his date of 9th April was today cancelled! Has anybody else had such a hard time getting dates for operations. I honestly don't know where to turn or who to speak to. We have 3 children and I just need to him to get better

Edited by member 06 Apr 2018 at 19:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Apr 2018 at 16:52

Contact the PALS at your hospital - they will be able to advise you on how to complain and may also be able to mediate

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Apr 2018 at 18:55
Hi Melanie. We didn't want to resort to PALS but found they helped no end in resolving problems with delays in appointments prior to diagnosis.

Regards

Ann

User
Posted 06 Apr 2018 at 19:11
Thank you ladies, really don't want to go down that route but not sure we have much choice anymore. Very frustrating

Mel

User
Posted 06 Apr 2018 at 19:18
Hiya Melanie,

This is exactly the kind of thing that PALS are there to help investigate and resolve.You've been let down.

Good luck.Paul.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 11:09
Melanie

Have they said how long the procedure will take. I ask because I know my local consultant could not fit me in for a 45 minute theatre slot for six weeks due the the amount of cancer operations he had on his list. Obviously of no comfort for you and your family but are you being pushed down the list to make way for cancer operations ? With clinics and MDT meetings etc I am not sure how many days a week a surgeon actually spends in theatre.

Hope you soon get a resolution.

Thanks Chris