I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anyone had prostate removed aged 54

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 10:43
Hi, can any give me any advice on how they are now, if they had prostatectomy at aged 54
User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 18:28

What an unpleasant person you seem to be. It isn't vicarious offence - I miss my father-in-law and my friends from this site dreadfully and we have had so many losses recently, every one of them apparently much kinder people than you.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 20:22
Hi Bollinge

When posting on a thread here the idea is to try to address the issue that the person who started the thread has raised rather than simply interject with comments that add nothing to address the issue. I am now guilty of doing the same thing for which I apologise. Some of your remarks are very insensitive and I would have thought that you would realise that. We all deal with this cancer in our own ways but the majority of us manage to achieve it without causing further upset to others.

I just wanted you to know that I too have found some of your comments self indulgent and insensitive.

Having said that I wish you well with your treatment.

Kind regards

Kevan

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 20:48

Yes well said Kevin. Sully276 started a thred asking advice and it has now become a bit of a spat. Bollinge please give the guy some respect and if you want to have a rant start your own thread and say your piece appropriately.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 17:59

Do you ever consider how your language affects those of us who are grieving or the many, many members here in terminal stages / caring for a man who is terminally ill?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 22:06
Glad too see we have got back to my question. My brother is ok he finished radiotherapy and hormone treatment and at the moment is clear. Thank you for asking.
User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 11:13
Hi having been monitored for PSA for many years after my Dad died of PC. When I was finally diagnosed following MRI and biopsy I was offered AS, surgery or radio therapy (of one kind or another). This was because my biopsy was stage 2 3+3. When I pressed the urologist (he didn't do surgery himself) he recomended surgery because of my age and family history.

He didn't recomend radiotherapy because of my young?? age.

He didn't recomend AS because of the family history.

He DID recomend surgery because:

You get a complete pathology which can influence later treatment choices

No risk of late onset radiological side effects (strictures etc).

Possibility of adjuvant or salvage radiotherapy (2nd bite at the cherry!)

I don't think things have moved on that much in 3 years so if I had my choices again the only thing I would have done different was to get a biopsy the year before when my PSA started increasing.

Re side effects from surgery - Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing!! I am fully healed in all departments (well maybe 9/10 in the woody depth :-)) but there is no denying surgery ducks for a few months (years??).

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 18:11
Hi Sully If you want to read a humorous account of someone's successful Prostatectomy go to the members section and see Steve-Rutland's journey.

He managed to give a great account of his experience without being self indulgent or insensitive to other members not as lucky as himself.

Regards

Ann

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 18:49
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Not really Matron,

I don’t know that anyone else has complained.

Well Bollinge. I don't exactly like the cut of your jib either. You come across as being really insensitive and what's worse you don't seem to give a s**t.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 20:00
Hiya John,

Give over now mate.This isn't a forum to antagonise and show off.We all understand you're a off the wall,take me as you find me,straight John Bull comedian laughing in the face of health adversity.Good for you.

All the best, Paul

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 23:34

Hi, can any give me any advice on how they are now, if they had prostatectomy at aged 54

Hi Sully276,

I had a RRP at age 55 and a half.  Looked into it thoroughly before deciding on the Robot.  Was offered brachytherapy and A N other.  AS was not offered to me.  Would not have chosen that.

No regrets apart from actually having PCa, and not finding it sooner.

But, your outcome will be personal to you.  Despite you having the same bits other men have in the same place "ish", and the surgeon doing their best, no one knows what your outcome will be.   Until you are done. 

Apparently, non invasive treatments have broadly the same outcomes as the various surgery options.  Did not sway me back then, would not sway me now.

If there was a clear winning option in the PCa treatment choices, the NHS would stop all others.  Surgery consequences are all potential and the most significant outcome from surgery is life.

I am not saying to you to go for one option or another.  Only you can make that choice as only you will live with the consequences.  Hopefully fo a long time to come.

What I am suggesting is, do your research.  Make your best decision on the information you have at the time you make it, and don't look back. 

Some make a choice on all the information presented, then when more information is presented later, regret that choice.

If you look both ways, don't see a bus, and cross the road, then get knocked down by the bus that no one saw, does  not mean you made a bad choice.  You made your best choice on what you knew or were presented with.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 13:06

Not sure how many men on here were exactly 54 although there are loads who had it done when they were in their early 50s and quite a few who had it done in their 40s. What is it that you are hoping to find out?

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 15:02

Hi Sully276

I had a Robotic RP aged 54 in January last year. Check out my profile for details but basically I was PT3a gleeson 3+4 PSA 6.4. Pre op MRI and biopsy showed the tumor to be near the edge on the left so nerve sparing on the right only. Pathology report showed extracapsular extension, but negative margins, so the way I see it it was the right decision just in time. So far all follow up PSA has been undetectable with the most recent being last week.

Anything you want to know just ask on here. There are others far more knowledgeable than me who will help, but anything specific about my personal experience I will chip in where I can.

Good Luck

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 15:19
I have been on AS for the last 3 years and I am thinking of a prosectomy now rather than later. I was just asking to find out if anyone in their 50s have had one and how they recovered ie side effect, recovery time etc and if they regretted the decision. Thought it might help me decide which way to go Thanks
User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 16:09

Generally speaking, the men who had a successful op leave the forum because they have no on going issues. The men who are left with life changing side effects or for whom the op was not successful and further treatment is needed tend to stick around as members on here.

My husband was 50, the incontinence was only temporary but he found the dry orgasms, loss of penis length / girth and ED completely devastating. The fact that the op didn't get it all made everything worse and yes, he bitterly regretted his choice. Nearly 9 years later, having had salvage RT/HT, he can get an erection whenever he wants, his PSA is nice and low and most important he is alive and well so regret was probably pointless.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 16:11

If you are considering radical treatment, probably a good idea to talk to an oncologist about brachytherapy and external radiotherapy before you make a final decision to have surgery.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 16:56

Thanks for the reply, I have an appointment with my consultant in June, so will discuss it with him, I am researching the issues if I have the op to help make my mind up. I have been told an operation will be needed at some point, as my brothers prostate cancer had spread when he was 55 years old, then I want to be sure I make the correct decision!!  Delay the operation or just do it sooner and avoid any issues about it spreading from the prostate.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 17:33

Generally speaking, the men who had a successful op leave the forum because they have no on going issues. The men who are left with life changing side effects or for whom the op was not successful and further treatment is needed tend to stick around as members on here.

Yes, I note that many members have arrived here for a few months and then never return.

One can only assume they are “cured” or have croaked. They could help everyone by giving back their experiences - except for the deceased of course!

I will be around keeping you up to speed, whatever my outcome, and boring you all to death with details of mine eventually! 😂😂😂😂

Keep smiling, keep breathing!

Cheers, John

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 17:59

Do you ever consider how your language affects those of us who are grieving or the many, many members here in terminal stages / caring for a man who is terminally ill?

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 18:11
Hi Sully If you want to read a humorous account of someone's successful Prostatectomy go to the members section and see Steve-Rutland's journey.

He managed to give a great account of his experience without being self indulgent or insensitive to other members not as lucky as himself.

Regards

Ann

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 18:17

Not really Matron,

My mother died when I was seven years old, so 55 years later I appreciate every day I wake up. You can take vicarious offence on behalf of others if you wish. I don’t know that anyone else has complained. As I said, call me “Mr Marmite” or worse.

If I end up in an I.C.U. connected up to a load of plumbing with a terminal prognosis, I am sure there will be loads of things I will find amusing and can take the piss out of!

Kind regards, John

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 18:28

What an unpleasant person you seem to be. It isn't vicarious offence - I miss my father-in-law and my friends from this site dreadfully and we have had so many losses recently, every one of them apparently much kinder people than you.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 18:49

Not really Matron,

Well Bollinge. I don't exactly like the cut of your jib either. You come across as being really insensitive and what's worse you don't seem to give a s**t.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 19:16

Not really Matron,

When and if you get cancer, and I hope you won’t, and have not had it, you deal with it how you will.

I am dealing with it in the same way as our fellow corespondent Mr “Bollocks to...” and correct, I don’t give a s***. There has to be a cause of death on your death certificate - to me the most important thing is the date on it.

So to me, every day is a bonus, and I have been told I will soon be “cured”. But then in the small print they say there is a 37% chance of recurrence.

Sorry you don’t like Marmite.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 19:39
Your attitude says it all so we will leave it at that.

By the way I have not had cancer but you wouldn't know that but I know how it has affected my husband. I hope your cancer is not affecting your family in the way it has me. My aunt had cancer in her bones and with the agony she suffered she certainly wasn't smiling her way through it to the end.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 20:00
Hiya John,

Give over now mate.This isn't a forum to antagonise and show off.We all understand you're a off the wall,take me as you find me,straight John Bull comedian laughing in the face of health adversity.Good for you.

All the best, Paul

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 20:22
Hi Bollinge

When posting on a thread here the idea is to try to address the issue that the person who started the thread has raised rather than simply interject with comments that add nothing to address the issue. I am now guilty of doing the same thing for which I apologise. Some of your remarks are very insensitive and I would have thought that you would realise that. We all deal with this cancer in our own ways but the majority of us manage to achieve it without causing further upset to others.

I just wanted you to know that I too have found some of your comments self indulgent and insensitive.

Having said that I wish you well with your treatment.

Kind regards

Kevan

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 20:48

Yes well said Kevin. Sully276 started a thred asking advice and it has now become a bit of a spat. Bollinge please give the guy some respect and if you want to have a rant start your own thread and say your piece appropriately.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 21:33
Thanks for the reply, I have an appointment with my consultant in June, so will discuss it with him, I am researching the issues if I have the op to help make my mind up. I have been told an operation will be needed at some point, as my brothers prostate cancer had spread when he was 55 years old, then I want to be sure I make the correct decision!! Delay the operation or just do it sooner and avoid any issues about it spreading from the prostate.

In the circumstances, I think you have done remarkably well to stick with AS this long and I can see why you might start to get twitchy. How is your brother now?

User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 22:06
Glad too see we have got back to my question. My brother is ok he finished radiotherapy and hormone treatment and at the moment is clear. Thank you for asking.
User
Posted 08 Apr 2018 at 23:34

Hi Sully276,

I had a RRP at age 55 and a half.  Looked into it thoroughly before deciding on the Robot.  Was offered brachytherapy and A N other.  AS was not offered to me.  Would not have chosen that.

No regrets apart from actually having PCa, and not finding it sooner.

But, your outcome will be personal to you.  Despite you having the same bits other men have in the same place "ish", and the surgeon doing their best, no one knows what your outcome will be.   Until you are done. 

Apparently, non invasive treatments have broadly the same outcomes as the various surgery options.  Did not sway me back then, would not sway me now.

If there was a clear winning option in the PCa treatment choices, the NHS would stop all others.  Surgery consequences are all potential and the most significant outcome from surgery is life.

I am not saying to you to go for one option or another.  Only you can make that choice as only you will live with the consequences.  Hopefully fo a long time to come.

What I am suggesting is, do your research.  Make your best decision on the information you have at the time you make it, and don't look back. 

Some make a choice on all the information presented, then when more information is presented later, regret that choice.

If you look both ways, don't see a bus, and cross the road, then get knocked down by the bus that no one saw, does  not mean you made a bad choice.  You made your best choice on what you knew or were presented with.

atb

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 11:13
Hi having been monitored for PSA for many years after my Dad died of PC. When I was finally diagnosed following MRI and biopsy I was offered AS, surgery or radio therapy (of one kind or another). This was because my biopsy was stage 2 3+3. When I pressed the urologist (he didn't do surgery himself) he recomended surgery because of my age and family history.

He didn't recomend radiotherapy because of my young?? age.

He didn't recomend AS because of the family history.

He DID recomend surgery because:

You get a complete pathology which can influence later treatment choices

No risk of late onset radiological side effects (strictures etc).

Possibility of adjuvant or salvage radiotherapy (2nd bite at the cherry!)

I don't think things have moved on that much in 3 years so if I had my choices again the only thing I would have done different was to get a biopsy the year before when my PSA started increasing.

Re side effects from surgery - Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing!! I am fully healed in all departments (well maybe 9/10 in the woody depth :-)) but there is no denying surgery ducks for a few months (years??).

User
Posted 09 Apr 2018 at 13:22
Thank you for the update, my father recently died because of his PC spreading and my brother has had radiotherapy and hormone treatment, so there is a strong family history also. I was offered 2 choices AS or surgery. I chose AS and have been ok for 3 Years but I am now nearing that age when my brothers cancer was found and I am now questioning that decision