Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA of 1500

User
Posted 11 Apr 2018 at 22:53
Looking for some help and guidance.
My dad has a PSA of 1500. Already started hormone tablets and is awaiting a biopsy and bone scan.
Has anyone got any advice or positive comments as I’m worried sick.
Thank you in advance,
Loo loo
User
Posted 12 Apr 2018 at 00:15

Hi Loo Loo, I can see why the consultant thinks it is already in dad's bones - with such a high PSA they sometimes decide not to bother with the biopsy if the scans are very clear. The good news is that the hormones will be starving the cancer already, and that means the tumours will start to shrink very quickly which should get rid of the pain.

There are some amazing new treatment regimes at the minute and statistically, there are good reasons to hope that your dad will be around for many years.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 12 Apr 2018 at 15:38

Hi Loo loo, I started this journey with a PSA of 1547 and extensive bone mets in Jan17. First round of 6 chemo infusions (docetaxel) plus hormones and steroids brought it down to 94 followed by a 6 month treatment holiday. It’s Gone back up a bit now?? so back on chemo Mk 2 ( cabitaxel) together with hormones and steroids to give it another kicking!! During it all I’ve still managed to play golf, walk the dog, garden etc. So “keep the faith” stay positive and hopefully it will all work out for you. All the best J.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2018 at 16:28
Hi Loo Loo,
Exactly a year ago I had a PSA reading of 4000. I am on hormone treatment and finished 10 cycles of chemo in February. My lat PSA reading was 0.8. I do suffer from back pain, but overall I feel ok.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Apr 2018 at 00:15

Hi Loo Loo, I can see why the consultant thinks it is already in dad's bones - with such a high PSA they sometimes decide not to bother with the biopsy if the scans are very clear. The good news is that the hormones will be starving the cancer already, and that means the tumours will start to shrink very quickly which should get rid of the pain.

There are some amazing new treatment regimes at the minute and statistically, there are good reasons to hope that your dad will be around for many years.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 12 Apr 2018 at 15:38

Hi Loo loo, I started this journey with a PSA of 1547 and extensive bone mets in Jan17. First round of 6 chemo infusions (docetaxel) plus hormones and steroids brought it down to 94 followed by a 6 month treatment holiday. It’s Gone back up a bit now?? so back on chemo Mk 2 ( cabitaxel) together with hormones and steroids to give it another kicking!! During it all I’ve still managed to play golf, walk the dog, garden etc. So “keep the faith” stay positive and hopefully it will all work out for you. All the best J.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2018 at 16:28
Hi Loo Loo,
Exactly a year ago I had a PSA reading of 4000. I am on hormone treatment and finished 10 cycles of chemo in February. My lat PSA reading was 0.8. I do suffer from back pain, but overall I feel ok.
User
Posted 13 Apr 2018 at 20:55
That’s amazing - and has filled me with confidence.
Is there any advice you can give regarding the treatment plan? Sounds like your doing so well.
Thank you for your reply it means so much to hear positive stories. X